Author Topic: Dool (Tamlaght O'Crilly)  (Read 10435 times)

Offline judithl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dool (Tamlaght O'Crilly)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 May 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Good to hear from you.  We, in fact, were in contact way back in 2005.  It has taken six years to get just that little bit further with my Dool(e)'s!
I think now, after all my hunting, that I have come to the conclusion that the Dools in and around Tyanee, Tamlaght O'Crilly are all related.  Most likely my William is a brother to your John.  Dool was such an uncommon name that the chances of being related look just too damn good.  Bu with no parish registers I doubt we will ever know.
I am also of the conclusion that my Dools originally came from across the border in Antrim, as this appears to be where the Dools resided during the earlier periods.
I don't really have much more info than what I posted above.  Did you ever find the deaths of John and Ann?  I know my William was a Linen Weaver of the "famous" irish linen.  Do you know what John's occupation was?
Judith

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline DLaurie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 May 11 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith.

I've sent you a direct email as well.  I reckon that "brothers" is a good working hypothesis that I'll keep looking at.

Unfortunately I don't have any dates for John/Jno and Anne - just their mention at the marriage of their son James in 1833 in Kilrea.

From James' son's (John William) marriage in 1876 in Kilrea, I can see that James was a labourer. Unfortunately not a weaver, although maybe his father could have been one.

regards
David

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 May 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
The familysearch site has a record of the death of Nancy(ie.Ann) Dool in Magherafelt in 1868
Estimated birth year 1796 and age (at death) 72

Also the death of Anne Doole Magherafelt  Apr - Jun 1888
Estimated birth year 1808 and age (at death): 80

Have you seen the mention of John Dool and Ann French here.... http://lavonnebradfield.tripod.com/barbara.html
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Jemima Dool, one of the 153 unmarried Irish women who came out to South Africa in 1857.   Two were from Derry: Jemima Dool, 19 years (born1838) and Jane Henderson, 27 years.

Jemima married Thomas Jones (from Kilbreffy, Ireland) and they had 5 children: Frances, Thomas William, John, Mary and Emily Annie Elizabeth.   Jemima died in 1873 aged 32 years (born 1841) and her parents were named as William and Mary Doole.

Could my Jemima have been one of the daughters?   Especially as the 1901 census for Tyanee names a daughter of John Doole as Olive Jemima?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

Offline judithl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 October 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Dool(e) was a pretty uncommon name in Ireland and Derry.  It is through this that I have been able to get what info I have, which I must admit is a bit sparse.
I have not come across any other William and Mary Dools in Derry so would really like to hope that Jemima is another daughter of William and Mary's.  If so she must be their youngest or almost as Mary was born about 1796.  She died 3 Dec 1871 in Tyanee, Tamlaght O'Crilly, Derry of Dropsy arising from disease of the heart which she apparently had for some years.  I cannot find a registered death for William but I know he was a weaver of Linen.  I also think besides my Ann Dool (went to Australia then NZ) and Elizabeth Dool (went to Australia) that there was a sister called Jane.  Again I cannot verify due to the registers being burnt.
I'm sorry I'm not much help.  My gut feeling says Your Jemima is part of my Dools but as to proving it, I doubt we ever can. 
I would love to exchange information.
Look forward to hearing back from you.

Judith

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 October 11 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

Thank you very much for replying.   I have been searching for her for quite a while and this is the first time that things seem to fit.   Also, Jemima's daughter Frances was known as an excellent needlewoman - she was only 13 years old when her mother died so perhaps her mother passed on the family skills? 

Jemima's story is quite sad.   Her husband died in 1871 leaving her destitute and with 5 children, aged between 2 and 11, to raise on her own.   She remarried about a year after his death, and then she too died in 1873, aged 32 years.

Your help is really appreciated.
Regards
Sandy

Offline gmadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 May 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just found this post, and I'm hoping there might be a connection with my tree. My great-grandfather was Thomas Madden born 1859 in Dromore/Magherafelt, Co. Derry. His brother was Ernest James, he moved to Australia. It's from Ernest James' marriage certificate that I found their parents' names. Alexander Madden and Jane Doole. Alexander was a weaver/farmer. The dates I have in my tree are Alexander was born 1832 and Jane was born 1836. I'm not sure how accurate these are though, as I didn't note a source. I had some research done a few years ago, and Desertmartin seemed significant, as well as Flax farming. Alexander's father could have been a James.

My questions are:
Has anyone found any Maddens whilst searching for Dooles.
Does anyone know of a Jane Doole, born around 1836, around this area.

If anyone can help, or has any information, I'd be very interested,
Thanks.

Offline leeleo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 September 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
My 2x Great Grand Aunt Margaret Smith (Thomas Smith - Jane Gordon) married Alexander Madden b abt 1854 in Glasgow in 1874. Alexander's parents were Alexander Madden b abt 1832 Farmer and Jane Doull (Doole). Both born in Ireland  Jane b abt 1836 d 1889 Margherafelt, Ireland. Alexander Madden died 20 May 1892 Caraloon, Londonderry. There is an online will for Alexander Snr.
Hope this helps.

Offline gmadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 September 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi leeleo, do you have any more information on the Glasgow Maddens? This is what I have:

Alexander Madden and Jane Doole had 8 children that I know of:

- Thomas Madden 1859-1940
moved to England and married Henrietta Appleby (my great grandparents)

- Annie Madden 1860-1920
moved to England

- Ernest James Madden 1856-1906
moved to Australia and married Agnes Ball

- Elizabeth Madden 1862-1935
moved to England

- John Madden

- Matilda Madden 1859–1920
moved to England and married Thomas Duff

- Esther Madden 1854–1897
moved to England and married William Freebourne

- Alexander Madden 1854–1891
moved to Scotland and married Margaret Smith

I've found a little bit about Alexander Madden and Margaret Smith:
Chemical Work Labourer and Cotton Mill Worker
married 24 July 1874 in Glasgow
2 children on on 1891 census, Alexander b.1882 and William b.1885
Margaret died 10 June 1888 and Alexander died 17 November 1891 in Glasgow City Poorhouse.
I haven't found anything else on the 2 sons or any other children.

Do you have more information?
Thanks
Graeme
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.