Author Topic: Andrew Jackson, Aghadowey  (Read 5398 times)

Offline jacksonr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Jackson, Aghadowey
« on: Friday 28 June 13 22:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on an Andrew Jackson from Co. Londonderry, father of my great grandfather William, born circa 1854 and James, born circa 1849. William went to live in Galgorm, Co. Antrim. We do not have a birth certificate for William but know that he was born in Co. Londonderry and our family believe that his father, Andrew, lived near Aghadowey.
I can see from Griffiths that there is an Andrew Jackson as a tenant at Ballyagan. Does anyone have information on this Andrew Jackson?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Jackson, Aghadowey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 June 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
There won't be a birth certificate for William Jackson- registration of births started in 1864.

I do have some records which might tie into this family-

Moneydig Presbyterian Church, 1 Dec.1854, John Toye, labourer, Vow?, son of Alexander Toye, tailor, to Ann Jackson Movenis, daughter of Andrew Jackson, labourer. Witnesses: James McMullan?, John Crawford. Note: Movenis is near Ballyagan townland.

Aghadowey Presbyterian Church. 20 Oct.1866, Matthew Jackson, labourer, Bovagh, son of Andrew Jackson, bleacher, to Jane Morell, Moneydig, daughter of John Morell, farmer. Note: son George Alexander born 11 July 1871, daughter Sarah born 2 Jan.1878.

Moneydig Presbyterian Church, 29 Feb.1884, James McCauley, labourer, Ballywillan, son of Jamison McCauley, labourer, to Sarah A. Jackson, Mullamore, daughter of Andrew Jackson, labourer.

First Garvagh Presbyterian, 1825 Visitation- Movenis Lower: Andr. Jackson, Serah, Jennet, Hanna, Mathew, Mary, Willm, Andr., Sarah, Geo. By the next Visitation (1840) the family aren't listed and it's likely they started attending the newly built Moneydig Presbyterian Church like so many other Movenis families.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 June 13 22:57 BST (UK) »
Also-

Moneydig Presbyterian Church, 8 Apr.1858, William Jackson, widower, Gortin, father dead, to Peggy Jane Morell, spinster, Moneydig. Witnesses: John Quigg, John Lynn.

Baptisms- First Garvagh Presbyterian Church:
13 Dec.1809 Matthew Jackson, Movenis
23 May 1812, Movenis
14 May 1828 Ann Jackson, Cullyramer
11 Apr.1823 George Jackson, Movenis
* 14 Apr.1830 Agnes, daughter of Matthew Jackson, Ballyagan
* 13 Feb.1831 Mary, daughter of Matthew Jackson, Ballyagan
** 1843 James, son of James & Elizabeth Jackson, Ballyagan

* a Matthew Jackson m.5 Nov.1823 1st Garvagh Presbyterina Church tp Mary Ann Forsythe
** James & Elizabeth Jackson moved to Mount Pleasant (Carrowreagh townland) and had other children.

Moneydig Presbyterian Church, 20 Dec.1850, Thomas McAuley, farmer, Mayoughill, son of daniel McAuley, to Mary Jackson, spinster, Mayoughill, daughter of James Jackson, ? .Witnesses: Archy Toye, Torrence McFetrisch.

Have more details but won't post any more until you have time to read through all the information.

Offline jacksonr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 June 13 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you, this is really helpful. I had seen some of this information but was finding it difficult to find an Andrew that was the correct age to have William born circa 1854. The 1825 Garvagh visitation list you mention looks interesting - I have seen mention of the other children in this family but not yet a son who was Andrew. This Andrew could be the one we are looking for, the father of William perhaps.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 June 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this could be your family?

Andrew Jackson, Ballyagan, married Mary Anne Woodend.
1. George born 11 Feb.1858, bapt. 6 May 1858 Moneydig Presbyterian Church.
2. Elizabeth born 7 May 1861, bapt.30 June 1861 Moneydig Presbyterian Church.

Note: there's about a 10 year gap in baptisms for First Garvagh Presbyterian Church and another gap before the start of baptisms in Moneydig.

Offline jacksonr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 June 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
So, are you saying it's possible that Andrew and Mary Anne could have had a James and William in a period that wasn't covered by records and these were the subsequent siblings?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 June 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's possible. Ironically I can connect most of the earlier Jacksons-

William Jackson, Lower Movenis m. Hanna.
1. William Jackson, Movenis, m.1801 Agnes Shaw.
    1. William Jackson
    2. Hanna Jackson
    3. Mathew Jackson
    4. James Jackson, baker, m. Elizabeth Dunlop?. Children: Jane (1843), James (c1843), Elizabeth (1849), John (c1854). Matilda McCloy (c1857), Nancy, Mary Anne Reid (c1859), James Archibald (1862).
    5. Archibald Jackson
    6. John Jackson
2. James Jackson, Mayoughill, m. Mary.
    1.Sarah Jackson (c1808)
    2. William Jackson m.(1858) Peggy Jane Morrell
    3. Mary Jackson m.(1850) Thomas McAuley
    4. Mathew Jackson
    ?5. John Jackson (c1831)
3. Andrew Jackson, Movenis & Cullyramer, m. Sarah.
    1. Jennet Jackson
    2. Hanna Jackson
    3. Mathew Jackson m.(1828) Mary Ann Forsyth
    4. Mary Jackson (c1812)
    5. William Jackson
    6. Andrew Jackson
    7. Sarah Jackson
    ?8. George Jackson (c1823)
    ?9. Ann Jackson m.(1854) John Toye
4. Matthew Jackson.

Offline jacksonr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 July 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you again. I had seen some of these names before but was unable to make a link. With your 1825 church visitation list, I feel much more confident this might actually be our family.

Offline CMB1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 August 14 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just started trying to research my family background and was interested in the Moneydig Presbyterian Church, 29 Feb.1884 entry. I'm wondering whether this relates to the marriage of my great-grandparents. According to the birth certificate of my grandmother (Elizabeth Jackson McAuley who died in 1964) her parents were James McAuley (Labourer) and Sarah Ann Jackson of Mullamore, Aghadowey. Could this be a link?

There won't be a birth certificate for William Jackson- registration of births started in 1864.

I do have some records which might tie into this family-

Moneydig Presbyterian Church, 1 Dec.1854, John Toye, labourer, Vow?, son of Alexander Toye, tailor, to Ann Jackson Movenis, daughter of Andrew Jackson, labourer. Witnesses: James McMullan?, John Crawford. Note: Movenis is near Ballyagan townland.

Aghadowey Presbyterian Church. 20 Oct.1866, Matthew Jackson, labourer, Bovagh, son of Andrew Jackson, bleacher, to Jane Morell, Moneydig, daughter of John Morell, farmer. Note: son George Alexander born 11 July 1871, daughter Sarah born 2 Jan.1878.

Moneydig Presbyterian Church, 29 Feb.1884, James McCauley, labourer, Ballywillan, son of Jamison McCauley, labourer, to Sarah A. Jackson, Mullamore, daughter of Andrew Jackson, labourer.

First Garvagh Presbyterian, 1825 Visitation- Movenis Lower: Andr. Jackson, Serah, Jennet, Hanna, Mathew, Mary, Willm, Andr., Sarah, Geo. By the next Visitation (1840) the family aren't listed and it's likely they started attending the newly built Moneydig Presbyterian Church like so many other Movenis families.