Author Topic: Alexander Brown, Ironmoulder  (Read 24321 times)

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Brown, Ironmoulder
« on: Monday 02 September 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking into the roots of my gg grandfather, Alexander Brown, and Ironfounder, b 1818 in Ayr, d 1908 Derry. He was married to Agnes Stewart, b 1824 Renfrewshire, d 1903 Derry. They were married in 1846 in Johnstone, Renfrewshire and came to Derry in the 1850's.

From Irish birth records and Irish/Scottish census info, I have worked out that they had the following children:
Eliza b 1845 Newton on Ayr - I believe from a previous marriage, but can't find anything on this
John b 1857 Johnstone
Alexander b 1849 Johnstone
James b 1851 Johnstone
Janette b 1860 Derry
Agnes Stewart b 1862
Margaret b 1867
Jeanie b 1869

I believe there were more children, but can't find them. Any help would be great.

In the 1901 Derry Census (Foyle Road), there was mention of a "granddaughter", Amy Brown, b 1890 Derry, and mentioned again in the 1911 Derry Census (still Foyle Road) as a "sister". I can't find how she was related to the above family. Her father was Robert Hamilton Browne (and her mother Annie Elmes) but I can't find how Robert Hamilton Browne was related.

Thanks very much.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Brown, Ironmoulder
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
From Irish birth records and Irish/Scottish census info, I have worked out that they had the following children:
Eliza b 1845 Newton on Ayr - I believe from a previous marriage, but can't find anything on this

Was the first wife not a Martha Wylie as mentioned in a previous thread on Ayrshire board?

The mother of Eliza(beth) - and the other 2 children, John and Alexander from the 1851 Johnstone census - appears indeed to be Martha Wylie, and not Agnes Stewart.
Alexander Brown, moulder, married Agnes Stewart in Johnstone in 1846 (there are 2 records of bans anyway on 23 Aug 1845 and 7 Feb 1846).
Moreover, there is also a record of Alexander Brown, moulder, having married Martha Wylie in Paisley on 21 Aug 1845.

Alexander Brown and Agnes nee Stewart moved to Northern Ireland in the 1850's and had other children, including my gg grandmother. There are several Wylies appearing on subsequent records there (one as a lodger on the 1911 census, and one as a marriage witness). The plot thickens.

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying so swiftly.

When I had started researching the family I had originally thought Alex Browne snr was married to Martha Wylie in 1845 before marrying Agnes Stewart in 1846, and the children (Elizabeth, John and Alexander) had the same names and approximately the same birth dates, but I now think these are two different marriages.

However, there is a Wylie connection:
"granddaughter" Amy Brown married Alexander Brown Wylie from Liverpool in 1911 in Liverpool
a John Wylie was boarding with the Browns in Foyle Road in the 1901 census.
Also, when Amy Brown's father, Robert Hamilton Browne was married in 1899 in Derry (to Harriet Lobb) a David Wylie was a witness.

I would love to know the full connection.

Regarding your first reply:

The Alexander Brown in the 1901 and 1911 Foyle Road census' was the son, born in Johnsone c 1849.
His father was indeed staying with the Olivers at the time of the 1901 census- daughter Margaret married James Oliver from Derrybeg. He died in 1908.

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 18:31 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you already know this , but there was a foundry, owned by  Alexander Brown & co, in Foyle Street until the late 1960's early 70's.

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
I knew that his company was Alex Brown & sons in Foyle St, but I didn't know that it was around as late as the 1960's. Thanks for that.

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
I can't find the date it closed, but I can remember it.  There is an article in Londonderry Sentinel about the Speaker of the Assembley and talks about his apprenticeship in Browns until 1969/70.

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 September 13 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
Through looking at the Sentinel website (thanks for the tip) I also found that Private Robert Brown from Fountain Place died 1 July 1916, one of the men from the city who died in the First World War.

This could be the Robert Hamilton Browne, who is somehow related to Alexander Brown's family, who I am researching. I had never found his death details before, although I had found the details of his wife and children.

I believe Robert H Browne was born in Derry in 1857 to Alexander Browne (Brass Fitter) and Anne Browne.
He was married to Harriet Lobb in 1899 and had 4 children (Edith, John Hamilton, Caroline Isobel and Ann Ida), all born in Derry.
He had also married Annie Elms in 1889 (in Islington, England) and they had Amy Johnstone Brown in 1890 in Derry but Annie died in 1890, and, according to the 1901 census Amy J Brown was living with the other Brown family in Foyle St as a "granddaughter" and then in 1911 as a "sister".

According to 1913 Lennon Wylie Street Directories there was: Alex Brown+Sons (iron Brass founders) in Foyle Street, and Robert H Brown (ironfounder) in William Street.

Can anyone help: is there any info on the parents/siblings of Alexander Browne (brass fitter) and Anne Browne?
I would like to know how they are related to the other Alexander Brown (ironfounder) who I am researching.
Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 September 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
Robert Brown killed at The Somme in 1916 was the son of Mary Jane Brown and husband of Jessie with whom he had 3 children. He had 2 brothers, John and James, who also served-
www.diamondwarmemorial.com/soldiers/view/111
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/765775/BROWN,%20ROBERT