Author Topic: Archibald Lynch  (Read 16326 times)

Offline UVL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Lynch
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 August 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
James Lynch was on census 1891 in an institution in Glasgow and then in Ireland on a farm as a child labourer. Appears in 1901 census living with a John burns & family as a cousin. Always said he was an orphan from Ireland. Been trying for a long time to find out more info.

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 August 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
UVL I have sent you a PM, :)
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline samtheskull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 October 14 03:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hijack an old thread, but Google just found this for me.

My GGGG-Grandmother was Bridget Brogan, and my GGGG-Grandfather was William Porter...

They came from Co. Donegal, and Bridget, her daughter Mary, and grandson John came over to Greenock (possibly more, but these are the ones I know of).

William and Bridget had a son John Porter (can't find anything about him), but I know their grandson John ended up here as he had 10 children, and the 2nd of which was my Great Grandfather James.

I recently made contact with someone who can trace back to William and Bridget's daughter Mary (who married a Charles Boyle in Greenock).

So from what I understand, William Porter married Bridget Brogan on 20 AUG 1835, and had the following children;
Elizabeth Porter 1836
Mary Porter 1839, Married Charles Boyle and lived in Greenock
Sarah Porter 1847
John Porter 1848, married a Martha Lawrie or Galbraith, having at least one son, John Porter (who married Elixabeth McDermott, and moved from Greenock to Rothesay, Bowling, Polmont, Grangemouth and back to Greenock, having 10 children on the way).
Susan Porter 1851
Eleanor Porter 1854

William must have died at some point after 1853, and Bridget remarried John Burns, and had;
Helen Burns 27 AUG 1857, who married Archibald Lynch in 1874, then Martin Burns in the 1880s?

Interestingly, Bridget Brogan went by the name Bridget Porter in 1891 as she's listed as living with her daughter Mary Boyle (nee Porter) at 40 Shaw Street in Greenock. She died in 1898;

Death Record,
PORTER,
Bridget,
Bridget Brogan Porter, mother of John died at Mrs Boyle's 1 William Street, in Aug 1898 (Greenock Telegraph 23.8.1898).

I can't find details of her marriage to John Burns, or the death of William Porter for that matter...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 October 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi samtheskull

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

An online family tree for this family of William and Bridget show their children, up to Eleanor in 1854, all baptised in Raphoe, Co. Donegal. Some original sources included there.

It may be that William died in Ireland and possibly also that Bridget could have married John Burns there before coming to Scotland by 1857 with the birth of Helen in Greenock. Just a guess really. Have you viewed Helen's birth cert in 1857 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ7N-W9L. If so, does it actually show John and Bridget as married (normally clues from the way the mother's names is written up on the registration). However, Bridget's death cert as has been mentioned does list the names of both husbands.

Is this Bridget in 1861:

Beddy Burns 48 Stocking Knitter b. Ireland
Susan Burns 10 b. Ireland
Helen Burns 4 b. Greenock
Sarah Brogan 15 niece Flax Mill Worker b. Ireland

Address: 6 Smith's Lane

Have you viewed the original to see whether she showed as widow by now or still married to John Burns?

Have you searched for a possible death for a John Burns in Greenock anywhere from 1856-61 (assuming for now Bridget showed as a widow by 1861)?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 October 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Susan Porter to a Michael McCrossan? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQZ-788

I can see one birth here for them https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQT2-D6X but if this is the right entry for them in 1881, this young William may have died by then and no further children showing in the household:

Michael McCrossin 28 Sugar House Labourer b. Ireland
Susan McCrossin 30 wife b. Ireland
Edward Flyn 26 lodger
Thomas Brannan 26 lodger
Patrick Mc Keetue 50 lodger

Address: No 8 Ann St, Greenock

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 October 14 14:33 BST (UK) »

An online family tree for this family of William and Bridget show their children, up to Eleanor in 1854, all baptised in Raphoe, Co. Donegal. Some original sources included there.

There looks to be a death in 1855 in Greenock of a Helen Porter born c. 1855. Mother's maiden name showing as Brogan. Possibly Eleanor who was baptised in Raphoe in 1854?  If so, this would help you with timings and more importantly let you check whether father William Porter was already deceased by this date. 1855 and the first year of official registration, a lot of extra info was included for one year only. Worth checking to see, if the correct family, what extra bits were included in terms of info.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 October 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Can I ask a question? How have you made the link of your line of John Porter & Elizabeth McDermott, son of John Porter & Martha Galbraith...to the family of William Porter and Bridget Brogan?

We have John, son of William and Bridget, being christened in 1848 in Co. Donegal.

Is this the same John who married Martha and had a son John c. 1863-4 (1891 census states in Strabane, Co Tyrone). What did it say for his birth place in 1901 and 1911? (maybe just Ireland which is always the issue  :-\). John from Raphoe may only have been around 16 years old potentially at the time of John's c.1863/4 birth.

From 1891:

John Porter 27 ship riveter b. Strabane, Ireland
Elizabeth Porter 25 b. Greenock
John Porter 6
James Porter 4...your ggrandfather
Elizabeth Porter 3
Mertha Porter 1

Address: 64 Lumley St, Grangemouth

Monica

Offline samtheskull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 October 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Wow Monica, wow! ;)

Ok, you've asked a few questions there, so I'm going to do my best - I'll work my way backward

I'm Scott Brown Porter, born 1982, eldest of 2
My Dad is Charles Brown Porter, youngest of 4
My Grandfather was Charles Brown Porter, eldest of 11
My Great Grandfather was James Campbell Porter, 2nd of 10 children
My Great Great Grandfather was John Porter

John married Elizabeth McDermott (sometimes spelt McDermid) who was born in Greenock on 23/12/1865. The married in Rothesay on 06/12/1884, and had their first son John McDermott Porter there on 08/01/1885. I'm assuming the fact she was 8 months pregnant is why they moved to Rothesay. John McDermott Porter was Provost of Greenock for a while in 1955. I have a few documents and photos of him, as well as of his mother Elizabeth.

They then moved to Bowling, Dunbartonshire and had James Campbell Porter on 09/09/1886 and Elizabeth Campbell Porter on 17/02/1888.
They moved to Polmont, and had Martha Galbraith Porter on 22/02/1880 (note the middle name!).
They moved to Grangemouth, and had William Porter on 03/03/1892 and Thomas Campbell Porter (I'm in touch with 2 of his granddaughters).
Then finally back to Greenock to have Richard McDermott Porter on 02/03/1896, Margaret Ford Porter on 22/01/1898, George Smith Porter on 17/06/1900 (who emigrated to Australia, and I'm in touch with a son of his), and finally Charles Brown Porter on 09/08/1902 (my Grandfather was named after him).

Family history had said the 7 brothers came over from Ireland, but I traced the census info from 1891 to 1911 to track their movements, and the brothers (and sisters we hadn't known about) were all born in Scotland, but it was their father who came over.
This John was born circa 1863 and lists his origin as  Ireland (1881), Ireland Strabane (1891), Ireland (1901), Ireland (1911).
There had always been some debate in the family where in Co Donegal they came from, some saying Letterkenny, some Mountcharles and the odd mention of Raphoe, but this just added more confusion until I found out Rathoe in Co donegal was in the Strabane PLU (Poor Law Union) catchment area.

I happened to look for John on the 1881 census to see where he was before he married, and found him in Greenock at 6 Crossshore Street, living with Bridget Brogan; she was the head, and he was listed as her grandson. I then found her death notification;
Bridget Brogan Porter, mother of John died at Mrs Boyle's 1 William Street, in Aug 1898 (Greenock Telegraph 23.8.1898).

From this, I found her as Bridget Porter on the 1891 census living with Mary Boyle as her Mother. Using this, I traced someone else researching Mary Boyle's family, so knew Bridget had at least 2 children, Mary and John.

From Bridget's death cert, I found her 1st husband was William Porter, and managed to track down their wedding in Raphoe, which had her listed as Biddy (a common name for Bridget in Ireland at the time apparently), and found her children;

Elizabeth Porter  Date of Birth: 16-Mar-1836  Date of Baptism: 27-Mar-1836
Mary Porter   Date of Birth: --    Date of Baptism: 06-Jan-1839
Sarah Porter   Date of Birth: 30-Jun-1847  Date of Baptism: 15-Aug-1847
John Porter   Date of Birth: 14-Oct-1848  Date of Baptism: 03-Nov-1848
Susan Porter   Date of Birth: 14-Jun-1851  Date of Baptism: 20-Jul-1851
Eleanor Porter   Date of Birth: 30-Jun-1854  Date of Baptism: 30-Aug-1854

The only questionable bit (as you mention) was that John Porter (who married Elizabeth McDermott) was born circa 1862/3/4, and his father was William & Bridget's son John who was born 1848, making him just 14/15/16 when his son John was born. That seems very young for that era (sadly not nowadays).

Anyway, getting back to the point...

My Great Great Great Grandfather was John Porter

From his son John's marriage cert in 1884, we know he was an engine fitter, and married to Martha Lawrie.
From his son John's death cert in 1932, we know he was a deceased 'plater', and had been married to Martha Galbraith.
Other than that, I knew nothing of him or Martha, I only found his parents were William and Bridget Boyle from finding his son's grandmother (as mentioned above), which led me to find his birth cert in Raphoe in 1848.

My Great Great Great Great Grandfather was William Porter
He married Bridget Brogan on 20/08/1835 in Raphoe. (See attached)

(continued...)

Offline samtheskull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 October 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
(continued...)

"There looks to be a death in 1855 in Greenock of a Helen Porter born c. 1855. Mother's maiden name showing as Brogan. Possibly Eleanor who was baptised in Raphoe in 1854? "

I've checked the record on SP. Helen Porter died aged 9 months, daughter of, wait for it, William Porter and Bridget Porter (Brogan). It gives her origin as Donegal, and states she was only in Greenock for 8 days when she died on 31/03/1855 from Small Pox at 6 Smith's Lane. Given the timing, this must have been Eleanor (unless they had twins in 1854).

"An online family tree for this family of William and Bridget show their children, up to Eleanor in 1854, all baptised in Raphoe, Co. Donegal. Some original sources included there."

What online tree? Do you have a link?

"It may be that William died in Ireland and possibly also that Bridget could have married John Burns there before coming to Scotland by 1857 with the birth of Helen in Greenock."

Yes, I agree. I've checked both RootsIreland and ScotlandsPeople and can't find a definite death of William. Of course it's possible that the reason Bridget moved to Greenock was that William had run off, and so she couldn't remarry in Raphoe. Unlikely, but I have an instance of that on my mother's side.

"Is this Bridget in 1861:
Beddy Burns 48 Stocking Knitter b. Ireland
Susan Burns 10 b. Ireland
Helen Burns 4 b. Greenock
Sarah Brogan 15 niece Flax Mill Worker b. Ireland
Address: 6 Smith's Lane"

I'd say so - the ages match, as does the address (from Eleanor's death cert). I've just downloaded the original from SP and confirmed;

Biddy Burns (the I has been mistaken for an E in transcription as there is not dot visible), Head, 48 Stocking Knitter, b. Ireland
Susan (no surname listed, not even 'do'), Daughter, 10,b. Ireland
Helen(no surname listed, not even 'do'), Daughter, 4,b. Greenock
Sarah Brogan, niece, 15, Flaxmill worker,b. Ireland

John is not listed, so is either away on work, or deceased, or had left). There are 2 possible deaths on for him around that time;

1  1856   BURNS   JOHN       47   GREENOCK OLD OR WEST   /RENFREW   564/03 0467
4  1863   BURNS   JOHN       35   GREENOCK OLD OR WEST   /RENFREW   564/03 0577

"Possible marriage for Susan Porter to a Michael McCrossan? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQZ-788"

Good find, again the cert from SP shows;
16/07/1872
Michael McCrossan, 25, Sugar House Labourer, father John McCrossan, Labourer,  mother Margaret (Braimen? I've requested a rescan).
Susan Porter, 21, Haymill Worker?, father William Porter, Labourer, mother Bridget Brogan.

And now I'm out of credits again.... ;)