Author Topic: Photo of grave in Hawkhead Cemetery  (Read 10448 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of grave in Hawkhead Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 June 14 19:25 BST (UK) »
      I believe Renfrewshire Family History Society were about to publish them a while ago but don't know if they ever did.     

Still showing as a work in progress on their site:

http://www.renfrewshirefhs.co.uk/projects.html
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 June 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Scotsmum,
                  That is Brilliant!     That is exactly what I wanted to know.      I was in two minds as to whether they had finished and published the project's results.     As long as I know that they are still working on it, that is fine.      I will keep checking.     What exactly did you google to get their latest magazine to appear on screen?       

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 June 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
    M.R.
             I have the death certificate and it says (clearly in typed letters) that he died at Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley.     He did have an infectious disease.     

Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley actually existed in both Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire. The place was built by Govan Parochial Board in the 1890's and became a part of Glasgow in 1912 when Govan was annexed by the City although Govan Parochial Board continued to be responsible for the management of the place. Around 1914 the Asylum encroached further in Renfrewshire by acquiring Hawkhead House itself.
The County and Registration District Boundaries actually ran through the middle of the place and if memory serves me right there was one ward where which Registration District was used could be determined by which bed the patient died in. Some wards were wholly in Renfrewshire others in Glasgow. The place was massive with its own farms, a 9 hole golf course and several large woodwork and metalwork workshops.

Hawkhead Asylum in Paisley became a Glasgow Corporation hospital in 1930 and joined the NHS in 1948.      Leverendale Hospital was adopted in place of Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley in 1964.

In the 1930's there was a massive reorganisation of local authorities in Scotland - Glasgow became a County in its own right and a number of smaller historical administrative bodies were done away with  - the name Leverndale Hospital was adopted in the 1960's (although all of the bedding and utensils used still bore the old logo of a Hawk's head)

I didn't know that Hawkhead Asylum was for infectious diseases.     My ancestor was certified insane on admission.      He was said to be insane, suicidal and dangerous.

Hawkhead Asylum was not an infectious diseases hospital (confusingly Hawkhead Hospital in Paisley was - it was a purpose built hospital constructed on farmland in the 1920's or 1930's).
Paisley originally had two Mental Health Centres one was known as Paisley North, around the Sneddon area (just north of the modern town centre) and Paisley South which was in Craw Road. Both were later closed in favour of Dykebar Hospital although the Craw Road premises continued as an annex of the Royal Alexandra.
~M~

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 June 14 12:45 BST (UK) »
               The hospital issue is such a mix up that I think I will just go down the path of searching cemetery records and go straight for finding out what is inscribed on his gravestone, if he even has one!      For all I know, his family rejected him and when he died maybe he was buried in an unmarked pauper's grave.      I would like to find that out - whether he was given a decent gravestone or not.     

Thanks for all your help folks.       

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
As MR Dien has indicated Hawkhead Asylum was basically a Govan/Lanarkshire/Glasgow Hospital with little to link it to Paisley other than the name - which actually came from the extensive estates on which they were all sited.

If the family did not "claim" a deceased person the hospital would have arranged a so called "paupers" funeral in which case he would have been buried in the common ground area of the cemetery without any marker or headstone.
In those circumstances I would very much doubt that one local authority would pay another one the fees involved when they had the facilities in their own area (although slightly further away).
Glasgows cemetery records have been recently digitised but are not available online. If you contact  the Mitchell Library in Glasgow they may be able to advise if there is a fee involved in searching the new records for you.

If however some member of the family did claim him they were free to make their own funeral arrangements, although again there is a Glasgow link rather than Paisley and we return to the records at the Mitchell.

Re Hawkhead Cemetery if you do manage to get a plot number and require a photograph of it just send me a PM with the details.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
        Falkryn,
                      Thank you.     It might take some time before they complete the Hawkhead cemetery records.       I suspect it might be quite a large cemetery.

I would love to find a decent gravestone.       There is a granddaughter of his who is still alive, aged 80, living in Manchester.    She especially would be interested in any information about the existence of a gravestone.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
        Falkryn,
                      Thank you.     It might take some time before they complete the Hawkhead cemetery records.       I suspect it might be quite a large cemetery.

Although not as large as some cemeteries I know, Hawkhead is quite extensive

It may be better to contact Renfrewshire Council who hold the actual burial and lair records for Hawkhead cemetery - they should be able to tell you if your man was buried there and if he is they could supply a lair number. (armed with a lair number it is relatively easy to find a particular grave)  I don't know if they (Renfrewshire) charge a fee for this , Glasgow used to but now tell every enquirer to contact the Mitchell Library.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
        I tried a google ...   Hawkhead Cemetery, Paisley - Inscriptions from gravestones.

A list came up.     I clicked on Happy Haggis site.       They have plenty of information from the gravestones about the War Dead, and some info about other graves, but the name I am looking for wasn't there.

At the top of this page, it says that the the full cemetery information is not completed.     ... ... I also saw somewhere else, a page from the Renfrewshire Family History Society.      It was their latest magazine, and it also says that the information has not been completed.

I will just be patient and wait.