Author Topic: mary jane power  (Read 14410 times)

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mary jane power
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 March 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found mary jane power parents marriage.

james power married mary anne mcconnell in Mevagh, county donegal on 28th january 1868

I found that on donegal ancestry online and Im hopin its the correct parents

Im still not findin any trail in the immigration dept tho..... Its really frustratin this search

has anyone got any hints on my next move....thanx so much for all help and advice up till now...its always much appreciated

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 March 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
What makes you think this is the correct James Power? what were the names of your Mary Jane's siblings that went to America?

James Power and Mary McConnell had several children according to submitted records in IGI (www.familysearch.org)-
1. Jane born 5 Jan.1869 Mileford [Milford?], Co. Donegal
2. Mary Ann born 7 Apr.1871 Carrowkeel/Carronkeel, Co. Donegal
3. John born 6 June 1873 Carronkeel, Co. Donegal
4. Letitia born 17 Sept.1875 Crowhan, Co. Donegal
5. Alexander born 8 Jan.1877 Carrowkeel, Co. Donegal
6. Alice born 22 Dec.1879 Carrowkeel, Co. Donegal

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 March 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I dont know if its the right people.... I am so frustrated with this that I am researching all james power links I can find in the hope that I will come up with the correst one at some point.....

I dont know if mary jane power had any sibblings and thats why I cant be sure of any of the power links I find...... I only know for definate that mary jane power was born in derry coz thats wat it says on census reports and she was church of ireland religion

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 March 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I dont know if mary jane power had any sibblings and thats why I cant be sure of any of the power links I find......
From your 1st post "Mary jane married james cooke in 1899 and her parents and other siblings apparently went to america a year or two after she married."

Think it might be wise to start from scratch from the facts in a logical order rather than jumping about in case there's a connection to a record that you find. It's difficult for us to help when you post details, we search and then you change the details.

First source is Mary Jane Power's marriage. What about date and place of marriage? names of witnesses? father's name and occupation (James Power labourer?)? Mary Jane's residence?

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 March 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
My first post was usin details from my mums memory..... I could only work with info given to me at the time..... and I have contacted other members of family to see wat they knew and it was only in past week I discovered from elderly aunt that mary janes parents left her with hemphills wen she was 10yrs old to emmigrate to america.... My mum thought it was just before or after her marriage but this elderly aunt is adamant that mary jane was around 10yrs old wen left with hemphills because she saw old letters from america and her parents many years ago but they have since been lost because the building the stuff was in was burned down and they had to build new cottage but elderly aunt cant remember which part of america the letters were from but they were from her dad james power.

I got the marriage certificate from dublins records office which states mary jane power married james cooke on 5th april 1899 in parish of st columbus and witnesses were james cookes mum annie cooke and family friend called john peoples.
It states mary jane was of full age and residence was ballynelly, lower moville and her father was james power, labourer.
James cookes father was benjamin cooke, farmer and they resided in drumaweir, lower moville and james cooke was 24yrs old at time of marriage and son of farmer.

I have for definate mary jane power on the 1901 census for moville as livin with the hemphills who were her aunt and uncle, and she has her first 2 born sons with her but I dont know where her husband was at that time.

In 1911, she was then back on family farm in moville with husband and more children and her mother in law and uncle lived next door with her sister in law elizabeth.

That is the facts I have..... I have not put misleading info on the page....I have tried furnishing people with the facts I get as people give them to me so people could maybe help or point me in right direction to get info I need.

I am frustrated with this search and am so desperate for info that I am willing to waste time searching any names associated with james power to hopefully find a link.
I have spent over £100 euros trying to find her death certificate as well but dublins records office has searched and cant find it......
So I am sorry if you feel I am misleadin you with false information, I am just eager to find links then hopefully the right ancestors......

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 March 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention that it states on census reports that mary jane power was born in derry but it doesnt say where exactly.
I  dont know if she had any sibblings but the elderly aunt thinks a son went with the parents but he was only baby and she cant remember if his name was ever mentioned in letters....
mary janes husband james cooke died 9th april 1957 in drumaweir, moville

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 March 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Family stories, even if they turn out to be incorrect, can be a valuable resource but do need to be checked out as they can be mistaken (and different relatives often have different versions of the same event).

As I said, start with your first source, the marriage certificate. Mary Jane's residence listed as Ballynelly, Lower Moville which fits in with Griffith's Valuation (1850s) showing Hemphills there.

Normally church records would be useful but since Mary Jane seems to have been born elsewhere they may not help in this case.

'Derry' can refer to the county or the city (and in the case of the city perhaps even the area surrounding it which could extend into Co. Donegal).
I searched Irish civil index again for a likely birth and found no 'Mary Power' born 1870-1879 in Co.Donegal or Londonderry that looks like her.

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 March 10 21:05 GMT (UK) »
my mum always said that mary jane power was older than wat she told people.... Mary jane was my mums gran and she does look older than her husband in pics I have of her but it has been source of debate since I started ancestry trail but cannot be confirmed as her marriage certificate doesnt state her age.
I have just spent 20 euros checkin out 4 births in ireland of a mary jane power but altho it has james power as father, without knowin her mothers name then I am stumped and this search is causin many headaches.
I just keep tryin anythin to find the slightest hints.
I am just confused at to why the hemphills can be on the census and griffin valuation if mary jane power parents are not on it as same time at some point.
I found one james power in templemore, church lane, co derry but other than his name, I cant be sure he is the father of mary jane....

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 March 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Now for another important bit of Mary Jane Power's story- the family going off to America. Please note that this post is just ideas and not facts.

If Mary Jane was about 10 when parents left that's about 1886ish. Unfortunately 1890 U.S. census was destroyed by fire years ago so next census is 1900. Lots of James Powers born Ireland in that census. Without a place or age for James it's very difficult to find him anywhere in U.S.

If James was married in Ireland then his marriage, if a Catholic ceremony after 1864, should appear in civil index but without knowing wife's name and where it took place just as difficult to find.

If the Hemphills took in Mary Jane there had to have been some connection/reason. Are there any descendants still alive?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just ready to post and I see your latest post.

-If Mary Jane did lie about her age and was born before 1864 that would explain lack of birth registration. Checked for 'Mary Power' born 1864-1869 in index but nothing in Londonderry/Donegal.

It would seem that the Hemphills lived in Ballynelly but that doesn't mean James Power came from the area.