Author Topic: Rev Dr John Brown Warwick House Aghadowey  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Hamilton T

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev Dr John Brown Warwick House Aghadowey
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching my family tree and seeking any information about the Rev Dr John Brown of Warwick House Aghadowey.

My Grandmothers maiden name was Shaw and she was christened Mary Brown after the Rev Dr John Brown’s daughter.  She was born 15/4/1901 Lisheeghan Finvoy. Her grandmother was Jane Shaw nee Kilpatrick born 1839 Gortahar Rasharkin died 23/9/1930. Jane Kilpatricks mother was Mary Kilpatrick nee Brown and her father was the Rev Dr John Brown. My mother remembers her great grandmother Jane Kilpatick telling her about visiting Warwick House when she was a young girl (1840's/50's). The Rev Dr John Brown had 7 sons all clergymen, one also named John, and a daughter Mary.
I would appreciate any information about the Rev John Brown and the location of Warwick House if possible.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Dr John Brown Warwick House Aghadowey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There are several mentions of Rev John Brown in the Ordnance Survey notes of 1834 but no mention of the house. The Griffiths Valuation of 1858 shows that the Rev. John Brown rented a large farm (150 acres) in the townland of DROGHED which is about 4 miles SE of Aghadowey. It is possible that the farmhouse may have been known as Warwick House.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Rev. John Brown (minister of Aghadowey Presbyterian Church) lived in Droghed House- later Warwicks lived in the house but I've never heard of it refered to as 'Warwick House.' The house itself still stands (on the present day Agivey Road).

Rev. Brown was unmarried but did have a niece Mary Brown (married name Hunter) who also lived at Droghed.

The 1863 Ironmongers' Co. Notes on Tenants- Droghed: Rev. John Brown D.D. (162 acres 0 rods 2 perches) annual rent £60.13s. Housekeeper. Most untidy house. Wet coming through the ceiling. A musty and damp smell pervaded the sitting room. The cultivation of his land about the worst we saw.
In his defence, as well as many years as minister in Aghadowey, Rev. Brown was instrumental in establishing many schools throught the area, including Droghed School which he had built.

P.S. Mary Brown Shaw's sister Jane Ross Shaw married James McLees of Landagivey (James' sister married a relative of my husband's).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Hamilton T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks to you both for the information provided. I can now understand how Droghed House was incorrectly called Warwick House.
I can remember visiting the McLees family with my mother and grandmother during the 1960’s. They had 8 or 9 of a family who stayed in contact with my grandmother until she died in 1987.
My grandmother Mary Brown Shaw’s father was Thomas George Shaw her mother’s maiden name Jane Carson Born 3/12/1873. Her father was James Carson and mothers name Jane Carson nee Kilpatrick born 1839 (Married Rasharkin Presbyterian church 27/4/1864). Her father’s name was Robert Kilpatrick. Mothers name Mary Kilpatrick nee Brown. If this is the same Mary Brown (married name Hunter) the niece  of Rev John Brown did she remarry?
I have also discovered from another ancestry forum that there was another Rev. John Brown, who was a nephew of the elder Rev. Brown of Aghadowey Presbyterian, he was the minister at Garryduff Presbyterian sometime in the mid to late 1800's. He performed the marriages at Garryduff and Drumreagh Presbyterian not sure of the connection.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 August 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
Should first of all clarify my earlier post. Mary Brown Hunter was the great niece of Rev. John Brown of Aghadowey. Her parents Samuel Brown McIntyre (nephew of Dr. Brown) and Mary Jane Wallace were married in 1849. Mary was born c1853 and married Thomas Hunter in 1876.
Dr. Brown died 27 Mar.1873 and his nephew was at Droghed shortly afterwards-
Coleraine Chronicle, 4 Apr.1874: Mr. S.B. McIntyre having been put in possession of the extensive farm in Droghea, formerly held by his uncle Dr. Brown. About 60 farmers including a large number of his friends from Dunboe, ploughed all the intended land for cropping. Mr. McIntyre whose prolonged residence at the Crannagh Hills and his Sucessful exertions as a teacher under the National Board...
Committee Minutes, Aghadowey Presbyterian Church, 31 July 1874: Pew No.68 This pew is to be offered to Mr. McIntyre of Droghead.

I know of the Carson/Shaw/Kilpatrick connections but am not researching those families. If you want to explore the Brown connection then it's Browns of Trinaltinagh that you'd need to look into but I'm not sure that there is a connection between your Mary (Brown) Kilpatrick and that family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 August 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in the Browns of Trinaltinagh; my great great grandmother was Nancy Browne, daughter of Robert Browne of Bovagh. He MAY have been a brother of Rev. John Brown of Aghadowey.
I can't quite follow all of the relationships suggested in these posts, but I am not sure if Hamilton T. is related to the Aghadowey minister? I wonder if he is related to the John Brown minister in Garryduff, and also in some way to another Aghadowey minister, one who followed John Brown, and the details have got slightly blurred over time?

I also have an interest on the other side of my family in Kilpatricks in Rasharkin. My great great great aunt Sally Taylor married James Kilpatrick of Magheraboy in Rasharkin Presbyterian in 1846. His father may have been James. I think there were at least several sets of Kilpatricks in that area so a relationship between Robert and James might be hard enough to find.