Author Topic: Unknown Hancock in 1911 census  (Read 2056 times)

Offline pgh51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Hancock in 1911 census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 August 14 06:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have replied.  From what I've been told by my immediate family, my father had stated that he was an only child so I'm satisfied that no other children were born to my g/parents before or after 1911.  I've X referenced all names from the FreeBMD & StaffordshireBMD but unfortunately few gave the their parents names, hence a big list of 43 to choose from.  I have no knowledge of a family grave but this seems one of the few options open to me to search for a conclusion, any suggestions/help in this area again would be appreciated.
Hancock, Staffordshire.
Dodd, Staffordshire.
Grimshaw, Yorkshire.
Dunwell,Yorkshire.
Grass/Grasse,Norfolk
Wood, Scarborough Yorkshire

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 August 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
If ordering certificates from the GRO can you apply with just a surname (no first name) and perhaps mother's and/or father's names? If you give a date they will search for a year either side of it. That amounts to three years checking. Money is refunded if details specified do not match the certificate.

I haven't ordered a certificate for a while and can't remember if a first name is required. :-\

I recently ordered a birth certificate just giving Surname, parents names, registration district and approx year, it took about 3 weeks but they did find it.  As you only have a period of around 6 years it might be worth a few attempts.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pgh51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
rosie99,
Thanks for the advice, I'll start with a few given names with family connections & see what the results return for me.

Peter Hancock
Hancock, Staffordshire.
Dodd, Staffordshire.
Grimshaw, Yorkshire.
Dunwell,Yorkshire.
Grass/Grasse,Norfolk
Wood, Scarborough Yorkshire