Author Topic: PRATT/PIDDINGTON family NSW  (Read 11472 times)

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: PRATT/PIDDINGTON family NSW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 December 10 10:38 GMT (UK) »
and.... Jamjar... where are your Pratt family ancestors from? My lot where /are from North Yorkshire,West Yorkshire and County Durham......
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 December 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  To give you some idea of distance ! (and there's not a lot of difference in accents across Australia)

SOUTH- to NORTH in NSW It takes about
18 hours driving from the border of Victoria to Queensland, via the coastal Highways)
14 hours driving from Vic to Qld via the usual inland route (Newell Highway)

WEST - to EAST in NSW It takes about
15 hours driving from the border of South Australia to Sydney, capital of NSW on the east coast

Relying on memory, but of Australia's land mass
Tasmania about 1%
Victoria about 3%
NSW occupies about 10%
South Australia about 12%
Northern Territory about 15%
Queensland about 24%
Western Australia about 35%
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 December 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
http://www.daylightmap.com/index.php

It is nearly 10 pm in NSW at present, so please don't phone those people at this late hour
Have found when searching for Dooragog that the current farmers are a B.H & G.J. Piddington (listed as Peak Hill) have I got the guts to phone them to see if they're related to my lot? Have I hecky thump !!! :D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 December 10 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hasven't got the guts to phone them whatever the hour ;D
Whitaker- Halifax
Nixon- London

Offline lpiddi01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 January 11 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello, The people you are talking about who are listed as the current owners of Dooragog are my parents!  This is so freaky, I was googling trying to find out stuff about my family history and your post came up!  I joined the forum just so i could reply .The Piddingtons dont own Moondyne anymore, but it still exists and when I was little my Dad's cousin still owned it!  He has since passed away but some of his siblings are still around.  I grew up on Dooragog and my parents still live and work there.  There are some Pratts who are my dads cousins that still live in Narromine called Allan and Eric Pratt.  I'm not sure what their parents names were.  I can ask my Dad a bit more about Moondyne though, if you are interested. 

Offline lpiddi01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 January 11 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Gladstone Piddington was My Dads uncle (he was my grandfathers half brother).  Arthur Pratt was was married to Gladstones sister Violet.  Uncle Arthur worked for Uncle Gladstone on Moondyne and was given 25 acres of the property in exchange where he and Violet (my dad says that they always called Violet aunty Suzie)built a house.  They had 3 children, Eric, Kathleen and Allen.  They also raised their brothers children after he died in Changi.  Their names were Evelyn and maybe Derek, My Dad thinks Evelyn may have gone back to england at some stage.  Uncle Arthur died around 1985 and Aunty Suzie died 3 days after my eldest sister was born in April 1983 (she had a visit from my sister too!)

Moderator Comment; Details of living persons removed as per RootsChat Policy.

Offline lpiddi01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 January 11 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Also, yes, Tomingley, Mungery and Peak Hill are all fairly close together.  Tomingley is about 30 kms from PeakHill, and mungery is about 30 klms from Tomingley. Sorry, I don't know what that is in miles.  They are all very small places, so that may be why it is difficult to find them.  Mungery is just a locality now, all that is there is a race track a cicket pitch and hall.  My dad went to mungery school and Kathleen Pratt was his teacher :)   Tomingley is a village on the newell highway with a petrol station and a pub and Peak Hill is a small town of about 600- 1000 people at the most.  My Mum works at the PreSchool there.

Gladstone and Violet(Suzie) were my Grandfather James' Half brother and sister (their mother died and Henry Charles remarried).  Their Father Henry Charles Piddington owned Dooragog, Gladstone bought Moondyne and when Violet married Arthur they arranged to build a house on the property.  They shared the same address.  My grandfather James was the youngest of the family, which was quite a large family with a lot of siblings.

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 January 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
FANTASTIC.... what a Christmas/New years present ;D
Arthur & James Pratt were my dads Uncles so I think that makes them my great uncles???
From the photo on James Pratt army records he and my dad looked very much the same at that age!
My grandad often spoke of James and I think I still have two pennies that he put through a rolling mill to flatten them out .. one of them has James details on it (a bit like an elongated dog tag).
Will send you a personal message with other details on and my direct email.... I am soooo excited :D

Woodydog
Whitaker- Halifax
Nixon- London

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I have some info on Gubatta. Wasn't successful finding the property, but did find the location of the area. Will send info when I return home, on the weekend.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams