Author Topic: CUNNINGHAM - Victoria, Australia  (Read 4835 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CUNNINGHAM - Victoria, Australia
« on: Friday 22 July 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to trace descendants of Patrick 'Paddy' Cunningham and Margaret Anne 'Peggy' Letts.

I believe they had three children: Patrick, Margaret Anne and John 'Jack'.

Paddy died in 1968 and Peggy in 1996. They are buried in Keilor Cemetery. A friend of mine has sent me photographs of the gravestone.

Any ideas how I could go about tracing living descendants? (I can't find anything online)

Many thanks,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CUNNINGHAM - Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I've still had no joy with tracing my Victoria CUNNINGHAM branch  :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I believe they had three children...
Any ideas how I could go about tracing living descendants?

Policy on Living Persons:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vip/

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I believe they had three children...

You can purchase & download Patrick's 1968 death certificate online for $20 & it will give you his children's names & ages:

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Death:

CUNNINGHAM Patrick age 75yrs d. 1968 KEW #3456
Father: Hub CUNNINGHAM
Mother: Anne  MULLINS

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear Merlin,

Thanks for the link regarding living relatives and regarding the death cert.
I purchased Patrick's death cert a couple of years ago. That's how I learnt of his three children.
I think I've tried all the available resources online (telephone directories, etc). I've even asked the Funeral Directors to pass on a letter, but they can't because of privacy laws. Perhaps my only two options are to either hire a local researcher and/or place an ad in the local newspaper maybe?

Many thanks,
Glen

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 November 13 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Glen,

The Sunday Herald Sun newspaper has a free page where you can ask for information regarding people you want to find. Including family reunions, school and sporting club reunions and decendents.

Its called "Desperately Seeking" and you can email them on seeking@heraldsun.com.au. They ask you to include a phone number and/or email address to be published so people can contact you.

I read it religiously every Sunday and often do searches for people to help out. In the past 2 years I have helped 5 people connect with each other and found 1 family member of my own.

Cheers, Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Excellent! Thank you Ted! I'll give that a go.

Thanks, Glen.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 November 13 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Glen you may already have tried this, and it may be useful - or not!  :-\  Worth a try, perhaps.

Electoral Rolls show Margaret Ann CUNNINGHAM at 32 Shelley St, East Keilor 1972-1980 (which is the extent of my access).  There is a person of the name of one of the children you mentioned also living in Keilor East.  White Pages (phone listings) has an entry for a similar person still living in the same street as he was from 1972-1980.  Sorry to be so cryptic - will PM you the names.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/

Another avenue - were the burials conducted by a church minister or priest?  While the undertakers apparently won't help you, perhaps a minister might.

Lots of ifs and maybes here.  8)

Judith

Adding actual dates of death, from Keilor Cemetery deceased search, as someone may have access to newspaper notices
Margaret Ann CUNNINGHAM, died 22 July, 1996
Patrick CUNNINGHAM, 8 January, 1968
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 November 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
The Brimbank Leader is the local newspaper. It might be worth it to contact them with your story. If your relatives don't see it, chances are a neighbour or friend will.

http://brimbank-leader.whereilive.com.au/contact/
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin