Author Topic: Thomas CARTER - Crew or military contingent on convict ship Glatton 1802-1803?  (Read 9335 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas CARTER - Crew or military contingent on convict ship Glatton 1802-1803?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 July 13 13:54 BST (UK) »
Perhaps ~Merlin~ will pick up this thread and check "The British Army in Australia 1788-1870 : index of personnel" (James Hugh Donohoe) for you.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas CARTER - Crew or military contingent on convict ship Glatton 1802-1803?
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
The NSW SL in Macquarie St, Sydney may have images to help determine further info about James Goldsmith 

This is tantalising information, but you have me at a disadvantage.  I have tried searching the SLNSW online catalogue and I am not getting any hits.

Another hint?

You need to actually go to the NSW SL and look at the original film held there, in their family history section.  You are not permitted to take copies of the film, but you are permitted to make your own notes from your own inspection of the holdings.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 00:49 BST (UK) »
And he has to have stayed with her for at least 12 months after the birth of Hannah. If Hannah had fronted for the baptism with just the baby in her arms saying that James Goldsmith was the father that wouldn't have been recorded as she would have had no proof, and you couldn't have anyone just turning up and saying that someone was the father of their baby.

May I please disagree.   We are talking about NSW we are not talking about England and Wales.  We are talking about a penal colony.   The colonial authorities and not the Church had the ultimate authority in the administration.   There are many reels of film at NSW SL which give the baptismal records where the name of the reputed father is recorded on the original church record but not on the transmitted record.   It was Gov. Macquarie who in Sept 1810 set about giving the civil administration some general orders re Baptisms and Burials, but even the earlier baptismal records do note the name of the reputed father in many instances, particularly where the mother was current serving a sentence of a civil court located beyond the seas.

It was only from around 1820 that the naming of the father on baptismal records in NSW can be taken to indicate the couple as formally married and not just co-habitating.     There are instances where every other record shows the female convict was with one chap and yet the baptismal record for her baby has a different father noted for the baby.   This includes instances where the father was a sailor on the transport ship and by the time of the baptism the ship had left Port Jackson, with the reputed father onboard, leaving the mum and baby in Sydney Town.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline keinname

• I am sorry I am unable to receive notifications at the moment mailbox full
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 09:02 BST (UK) »
There are instances where every other record shows the female convict was with one chap and yet the baptismal record for her baby has a different father noted for the baby.   This includes instances where the father was a sailor on the transport ship and by the time of the baptism the ship had left Port Jackson, with the reputed father onboard, leaving the mum and baby in Sydney Town.

So from this James Goldsmith could have been a sailor on the "Glatton" who sailed with the ship before the baby was baptised.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 09:38 BST (UK) »
Perhaps ~Merlin~ will pick up this thread and check "The British Army in Australia 1788-1870 : index of personnel" (James Hugh Donohoe) for you.

No James GOLDSMITH listed on the index of The British Army in Australia 1788-1870.
Also checked under GOLD* & variations.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 10:55 BST (UK) »
No James GOLDSMITH listed on the index of The British Army in Australia 1788-1870.
Also checked under GOLD* & variations.

Thanks, anyway.  I appreciate you looking.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 11:04 BST (UK) »
Debra  :)

Not at all - this is wonderful stuff.

Although Elizabeth's Thomas Carter has turned out to be the convict Thomas Carter after all, that therefore has confirmed he couldn't be Hannah's father as most trees show.

This will be the second big family myth I (with everyone here's wonderful assistance, of course) have busted. I will not be popular.

And as an aside I have also learned that not only could convicts could become constables, many constables were convicts, and some of them earned pardons for police service while on tickets of leave.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 11:07 BST (UK) »

You need to actually go to the NSW SL and look at the original film held there

Sorry, I thought you were alluding to a specific item. 

Based in Melbourne, unfortunately.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
Going back to review some other family trees, I now see this is not the first time the name James Goldsmith has appeared - although all these occurrences attribute him as Elizabeth's father, not Hannah's.