Author Topic: Thomas CARTER - Crew or military contingent on convict ship Glatton 1802-1803?  (Read 9350 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas CARTER - Crew or military contingent on convict ship Glatton 1802-1803?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
You need to actually go to the NSW SL and look at the original film held there
Based in Melbourne, unfortunately.

The State Library of Victoria have them.
They are located in the microfilm cabinets Genealogy GM 8.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas CARTER - Crew or military contingent on convict ship Glatton 1802-1803?
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 July 13 13:14 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the baptism registers today and unfortunately there is no identifying information for James GOLDSMITH.  The entries are just basic one liners with no occupations listed.

V18031288
1A/1803
EMMINS, HANNAH
Mother: ELIZABETH

V1804813
4/1804
EMMINS, HANNAH
Mother: ELIZABETH

The first is from a chronological index to C of E baptisms at Sydney, NSW, and the second is from the baptism register.

Hannah EMMINS, daughter of James GOLDSMITH and Elizabeth EMMINS, born 12 July 1803, baptised 15 July 1804.

I have no idea why the father's name has been omitted from the public indexes.

William is in a list of "Baptisms of Illegitimate Children":

William, son of Thomas CARTER and Elizabeth HEMMINGS, born 11 August 1810, baptised 20 November 1811.

Thomas is in a list of "Illegitimate Children":

Thomas, son of Thomas CARTER and Elizabeth HEMMINGS, born 15 Feb 1806, baptised 25 December 1809.  Note that Elizabeth's surname is also omitted from the public indexes.

I had a bit of a time trying to find John's baptism.  Even though I had a copy of the film notes with me I simply couldn't find him. (Note 2 here if you are interested in seeing what a pain it is  ;D http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/notes-1/notes#Notesontherecords)  I ran out of time, but will try again the next time I need to look at the films.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 July 13 13:31 BST (UK) »
I would be asking for a quote to get a copy of this:

ADM 36 Admiralty: Royal Navy Ships' Musters (Series I)
ADM 36/15599 Ship: GLATTON
Date: 1802 Jun - 1803 Mar

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4379896

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 July 13 22:39 BST (UK) »
The State Library of Victoria have them.
They are located in the microfilm cabinets Genealogy GM 8.

Meant to come back earlier and say thanks.  Time is the real issue. 

There will be a trip to SLV eventually, to try and fill the gaps after I gather as much information as I can on all branches of my mother's family.  Probably after a trip to PROV.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 July 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the baptism registers today

Wonderful - thank you.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 July 13 22:48 BST (UK) »

Thanks - I've got at least 1 other that I need to get as well.  A g-g-g-grandfather served on the HMS Daedalus in 1845 and 1846.  I want to find out if he was still there in 1848 when they recorded seeing the sea serpent.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 04:28 BST (UK) »

I have just come back to this after spending some virtual time in Scotland (with a side trip to India ending in New Zealand) researching the other side of the family and finding lots of close living relatives who didn't know our branch existed.

The quotation was for 500 pounds. 

However, I have been lucky enough to be given a transcript of the details of everyone on board - crew, military, convicts and convict's families.

There is no James Goldsmith aboard, but there is a James Grosmith, a 33 (as at July 1802) year old Able Seaman from Halifax.  Not certain by any means, but I guess if Hemming was recorded as Emmins then Grosmith could be recorded as Goldsmith, and he seems like the most likely contender on the list.  Like a number of his shipmates he transferred to the Glatton from the Phoebe.  I hope to soon get a transcript from the Phoebe's muster to try and backtrace his service. 

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 06:48 BST (UK) »
The quote you got from the National Archives was for copying the whole document; the NA won't search for a name then copy the relevant page. Quite honestly you would be better paying a professional researcher, but find one who has experience of Navy records if you do decide to take this route.

Martin