Author Topic: HAVILAND  (Read 5249 times)

Offline bungleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Hmmm. Looks as if the facecream didn't work.
    • View Profile
HAVILAND
« on: Saturday 29 March 14 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Records here in UK reveal that my g-g-g-grandfather Richard HAVILAND was transported for stealing a horse, arriving in NSW in July 1806 on the 'Fortune'. Then things aren't so clear.

It appears that he behaved himself, and was subsequently pardoned. Several Colsec records show that he was paid by the govt for castrating cattle. Although he had a wife and family here in UK, in 1818 he apparently requested permission to marry at Paramatta. I have no info on to whom, but it probably took place because in the 1830s he may be the guy listed as father of Francis. Later he is shown as owning 20 acres at West Bargo, NSW.

As mentioned, I don’t know anything about a marriage nor, in fact, about his death. Were there more children? Do I have distant rellies in your fair country?

I’d welcome anything at all you folks can add to what little I’ve been able to find!   

ABEL(L), 18c, Winstone GLS and around
ASHCROFT, mainly 19c, Aughton, LAN
GIBBINS, all, Miserden GLS and around
HAGUE, mainly Malton, YRK but they got around
HAVILAND etc, 17-19c, Winstone GLS and around
HAVILAND etc, 16c, Poole DOR
HAVILAND etc, 15-16c, Guernsey CI
HERBERT, 18-19c, various GLS
OCCOULD etc, 17c, wherever in GLS
TURK(E), 18c, various GLS
VANDERPANT/VAN DER PANT, all !

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HAVILAND
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 March 14 21:32 GMT (UK) »
A maybe for his death.

NSW death index
4793/1859    HAVILAND    RICHARD    father FRANCIS    mother MARY   district  RAYMOND TERRACE

Offline rwindsor2905

• RootsChat Extra
  • Descendants of John Chapman of North Marston
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 March 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
The article at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/688489 gives the following:

The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser, 26 April 1854, page 3

On the 20th instant, by the Rev. Alexander
McIntyre, Mr. Francis Haviland, of Lidney Park,
son of the late Captain Richard Haviland, of her   
Majesty's Scotch Greys, and nephew of Captain 
Francis Haviland, of the 2nd Dragoon Guards,
to Mary, eldest daughter of Fergus Ferguson,
Esq., of Eskdale. 
Chapman from Haddenham to North Marston, Buckinghamshire; Bradwin in Haddenham, Buckinghamshire; Cox in  Haddenham, Buckinghamshire and may be more Haddenham families as I make my journey back in time :)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 March 14 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Although he had a wife and family here in UK, in 1818 he apparently requested permission to marry at Paramatta. I have no info on to whom

Here is the Request for Permission to Marry:

HAVILAND Richard Fortune (1) + EVANS Ann Lord Melville I (1) Parramatta 1 Jun 1818.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 March 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 March 14 22:20 GMT (UK) »
http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/e/F18c_e-15.htm
  - Ann Evans, who came per Lord Meville in 1817  in 1818 "re: permission to marry Richard Haviland at Parramatta", then later the same year absconded from the Female Factory and was subsequently sent to Newcastle.

I don't think this marriage took place, as in 1828 an Ann Evans who arrived via Lord Meville (then aged 30) is recorded in the permission to marry record as bride of  Edward Hasla (via Tottenham, then aged 34), and a NSW marriage can be found for this couple (Edward listed as "Heasler").  On the convict records index it shows that in 1830 she received her certificate of freedom and was then the wife of "Edward Haslar".

She may have died in 1833 as "Ann Hasler" aged 33.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 March 14 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Richard HAVILAND has a number of mentions at the keyword index at NSW SRO….

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/collection-search

Governor’s Court Case Papers 1815-1824  (in 1820 and 1822)
Convict Index (Ticket of Leave, Conditional Pardon) 
Convict Pardon dated 31 Jan 1813
Col Sec Land 1830
Land Grants  in the West Bargo district

There seems to be TWO chaps named Richard HAVILAND, the one on the 1806 FORTUNE and there’s one on the 1823 RECOVERY…

The chap ex the FORTUNE ….. his surname may be mis-recorded as AVELIN on the 1806 Muster, and HAVERLAND on the 1811 muster …. 

You can find entries for both chaps at the Biographical Database of Australia   Is there any connection to a Hester HAVILAND, ex Gloucester Assizes 15 Jul 1807 who arrived Sydney on the SPEKE 15 Nov 1808…. (Esther HAVERLAND on the 1811 Muster, Ester EVELING on the 1814 Muster and Evlin ESTHER on the 1822, and 1823 muster)

http://www.bda-online.org.au/

Col Sec papers 1788-1825 index
http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/default.htm   (Richard EVELYN as alternative entry)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 March 14 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Richard EVELYNN ex the Fortune, aged 67, buried Nov 23, 1832, in the Bathurst District (JM notes that Bathurst district at that time included the Abercrombie ) As per Convict Death Register 1826-1879, J E KEANE .   The NSW SRO index has the vessel as “Fontaines” 
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=65

NSW BDM has Early Church Record indexed as Volume 16, line 1816, of 1832 (V18321816 16/1832)  As it is pre civil registration, that NSW BDM document is not likely to contain any family history information.  Vol 16 is one of the many Church of England parish registers.   
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline bungleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Hmmm. Looks as if the facecream didn't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 March 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks folks. I'll certainly be following the various references you've supplied so quickly.

The references to Francis have got me really confuzzled. There were loads of  HAVILANDs, and they have been well researched, by better researchers than me, way back to possibly 1066 in Normandy. My own records (mainly Gloucestershire, UK) include 4 Francises (plus the one who seems to be his son) and 17 Richards. But I show the guy I'm currently trying to trace as b at Winstone, GLS, in 1768, son of Thomas (2nd marriage?), not of Francis.

I suppose a death in 1859 is just about possible? As ever, two guys of the same name muddies the water, and didn't they love to recycle names?

There seem to be various possibilities, e.g. maybe I'm wrong re Thomas, although currently I don't have a Francis who would fit the bill.

MAJM - Hester was sort of related, my 2nd coz 5 times removed so not a direct.

"I think I'll have to think it out again."

ABEL(L), 18c, Winstone GLS and around
ASHCROFT, mainly 19c, Aughton, LAN
GIBBINS, all, Miserden GLS and around
HAGUE, mainly Malton, YRK but they got around
HAVILAND etc, 17-19c, Winstone GLS and around
HAVILAND etc, 16c, Poole DOR
HAVILAND etc, 15-16c, Guernsey CI
HERBERT, 18-19c, various GLS
OCCOULD etc, 17c, wherever in GLS
TURK(E), 18c, various GLS
VANDERPANT/VAN DER PANT, all !