Author Topic: John Thoma (k.a. Jack) GAINEY  (Read 4822 times)

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Thoma (k.a. Jack) GAINEY
« on: Sunday 13 April 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a death record for John Thomas (Jack) GAINEY who was born in 1873. His parents were William Alexander Gainey amd Elizabeth (Betty) Manton. Jack married Sarah Fahey in 1896 but left his family in about 1910. When his mother died in 1924 he was listed as one of her surviving children but I have not been able to find a death record for him on the indexes. Any help/guidance/suggestions would be appreciated. Maxell :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Thoma (k.a. Jack) GAINEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 April 14 02:51 BST (UK) »
Helpful if you post in which State these events took place :).

Marriage NSW
4585/1896
GAINEY John
FAHEY Sarah

May I ask your source of evidence that he left the family in or about 1910?  There is only one birth birth registered to John and Sarah on the NSW birth index and that was in 1899.

Listed on an electoral roll is no guarantee the person was living at that address on election day.

Australian Electoral Roll
1903 NSW Parkes/Harcourt
GAINEY John Oxford Street, Belmore  Tram Conductor
GAINEY Sarah  Oxford Street, Belmore  Domestic Duties

If he deserted his family it is possible he changed his name.

Did Sarah re-marry?

Did Elizabeth leave a Will?

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 April 14 03:25 BST (UK) »
Evening News 12 Jan 1906
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yvl/
An incident at Belmore and her husband is a Tramway employee.

Is John mentioned in his fathers Will?

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx
GAINEY   William Alexander   Narrabri   16/07/1918    06/02/1919   [19/10250]   3033

Is this your source of information that John Thomas [Jack] GAINEY was a surviving son or did you take your information from Elizabeth's death certificate?

North Western Courier Mail 4 Sep 1924
OBITUARY
MRS. ELIZABETH ANN GAINEY
The death took place on August 26, at the residence of her son-in-law, Mr. C. Jobson, of Caldwell Street,   Merewether, Newcastle, of Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Gainey, relict of the late , Mr. William Gainey. Deceased who was 68 years of age at the time of her demise, was a very old resident of the Narrabri district, and highly respected.  She lived in Newtown for over 30 years, but during the past five years has lived in Sydney, and many old friends will regret to hear of her death. One daughter— Violet —and four sons — Jack, Humphrey, Hubert and Percy — survive her.

Cando

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 14 04:28 BST (UK) »
In this report of an assault upon her little daughter in 1906, Mrs GAINEY is described as the wife of a tramways employee living in Belmore so they were still together then. (Assuming I have the right couple)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yvm/

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 14 05:14 BST (UK) »
This is the right couple. Up until 1910, Jack and his family lived in NSW - I don't know where he went after that but I have checked Qld indexes because I thought it was a possible place he would go if he did not head back to the Narrabri area where most of the family was. Jack left his wife Sarah for another woman. Sarah then changed her name by deedpoll to Gaynor. Jack is listed on his mother's death certificate as being one of her surviving children. I had not seen the newspaper article so it is great that you found it - thank you Cando. Jack's father died in 1918, six years before Elizabeth. I will see if I can locate a will - if she left one. Information about Jack has primarily come from family sources. Everone that I am in contact who is researching this family line have not been able to find information about his death. Maxell

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 April 14 05:33 BST (UK) »
I see you and another have private trees on ancestry.  Are you in contact with the other compiler?

William has a Will on the NSW Records website.  Perhaps it may be worth you while having a look at it.  I gave you the link to search and the details of the file on a previous post.

Who was the informant on Elizabeth's death certificate?  It is possible that the person assumed that Jack was still living.

What year did Sarah change her surname to GAYNOR?

Am I correct in my assumption that there was only one child of the marriage?  If so when did she marry and who were the witnesses.

Cando

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 April 14 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again Cando,
I am indeed in contact with the other researcher who has a private tree and she actually has a closer relationship to Jack than I do. (We both hate loose ends). The other researcher believes Jack left Sarah and three children but I have never checked that fact. When Melba, Jack's daughter, married in 1929 she stated that her father was deceased but that could be because Sarah severed all contact with the family after Jack left rather than that he was actually deceased. The only documents specific to Jack that either of us has is birth and marriage (to Sarah) record. I have tried to access that link re. will but had no success. Will try again. Thanks for all your help. Maxell

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 April 14 05:51 BST (UK) »
There is only one birth registered to 1913 to John GAINEY and Sarah so were the other two children his?

Have you Sarah GAYNOR's death certificate?  That would list her children if there was more than one.

This link brings up the Keyname Search and then search using GAINEY.  It works for me.
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx

Cando

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 April 14 05:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I was putting too much info in - when I reduced it to just the surname, I had success. This is one of those family puzzles that no one seems to have answers to. I'll keep digging - using your suggestions too. I'll let you know if/when I have success.  :) Maxell