Author Topic: world war one photograph  (Read 797 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
world war one photograph
« on: Thursday 14 August 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of my grandfather in an army uniform and I am trying to identify the regiment. Because millions of service records were destroyed during the second world war I have not been able to find his name. He lived and worked in Lancashire in 1911 so I am guessing he may have enlisted in Lancashire.Can anyone suggest how I can determine what regiment he belonged to?. Thanking you.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: world war one photograph
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 August 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
If you can scan or photograph your photo and post it on the Armed Forces Board WW1 then someone may be able to give you the information you are looking for.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=397.0

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 August 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
If you post the photograph in the WWI forum, someone there will probably be able to identify the regiment. If you post the person's name and any other details, such as date and place of birth, it is possible that someone with access to sources such as medal cards can tell you more.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 August 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU , treetotal and gr2 very useful suggestions will post what I find out, stoop.