Author Topic: Burial Record information?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline tracym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Record information?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 September 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your information it is very helpful.

I think its safe to say my grandad probably had a state funeral, he didn't want to contact anyone of his family and its only me who has managed to track him down this far.

I was going to ring the cemetery to find out anymore information but I'm not sure what else they would know??

I have his last know address on the death certificate, if i look up the electoral rolls, will they tell me anymore information such as his job or where he previously worked?  I'm not sure what the electoral roll hold information wise so i don't want to travel t Manchester if they wont give me any further information.

does anyone know?

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 September 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi tracy

Looking up on the ER will not tell you anything other than who else in the house was registered to vote.

Have you look here with regard to the Burial: http://www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk/

It is pay per view - but free if you can get into Manchester Central Library

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 September 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
You've got nothing to lose by phoning the cemetery.

Their records should show exactly what type of plot this is, when he was buried, who organised the funeral.

You may be surprised at the amount of information they give you.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 September 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi dawn
If Tracy chooses to access this database (and finds her ancestor here) there is actually a scanned copy of the burial register . It will give the information you suggest. I don't think the folk at Phillips Park cemetery will answer any queries its usually ££ for any information. I'd suggest trying the Manchester Burial database first.
CD

Offline tracym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 March 16 16:51 GMT (UK) »
So im going to try and visit the cemetry soon, is it close to the manchester library where i can have a final push at trying to find  out anything regarding my grandad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 March 16 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracy,

No, the cemetery is not particularly close to Central Library. If you look at google maps it gives you an idea of where they are in relation to each other.  Travel time without traffic says 21mins, but I would double that if using public transport.  I'd head to the library first, perhaps first thing. The family history help desk there opens at 10:30 if you need help.  Then once you (hopefully) have found out what you wanted you could go to Phillips Park?  I guess it depends on how much time you have.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 March 16 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracy

CD is correct it is not a great distance but a pain to get from one to another by bus, a car or taxi would make it easier.

I Consecrated section few headstones remain compared to the number buried there, if you have the grave details (grave number and name) I can pop over on a dry day to check for you and let you know either way.

Also the council use to place markers on graves that people ask about, I am not sure if they still do or if they charge to do it you can only ask.

Hi dawnsh

Sadly community funerals still take place today "Lucy Powell, MP for Manchester Central, said: “The number of paupers’ funerals being carried out in this day and age is a desperately sad and a tragic state of affairs. This is something you would associate with Victorian times – not Manchester in 2013.”,

This subject of paupers graves, only last night at an MS meeting we attend, a friend told me about the barman at his local club who died late last year and his body is still in the morgue, his only family were a niece and nephew. they cleared his house of valuables but refused to accept his body. Now the council have to pay his cremation expenses which will take place in a few days time, he also said the his niece and nephew want to attend the wake at the club............words will be said
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones