Author Topic: Gresford, Denbighshire vs Gresford, New South Wales  (Read 1379 times)

Offline FeteFatale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census, what Census?
    • View Profile
Gresford, Denbighshire vs Gresford, New South Wales
« on: Tuesday 17 December 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I have come across several persons in online family trees mid 19 C. that have birth as Gresford, Denbighshire and death as Gresford, NSW. Is this more likely a fault of inattentive name recognition software use, or was Gresford, NSW established/settled/colonised by mutliple families from Gresford, Denbighshire? If so, are there details to be found?
Challenor, Heylands, Humberstone, Huxley, Kirkham, Langridge, Lloyd, Merriott, Oliver, Phoenix, Tiltson, Williamson

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Gresford, Denbighshire vs Gresford, New South Wales
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Never trust somebody else's version of your Family History as there are some very careless researchers.

Where does your own research say they were born and died?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline FeteFatale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census, what Census?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I haven't researched them as yet ... they weren't in the centre on my interests being 1st & removed cousins of the people I was researching. I realise how one mistake can spread like a virus through multiple trees [one of my ancestors has birth/death dates thru multiple online trees imported from a similarly named American woman]. I take trees as hints that need to be confirmed by records, so unless there's clear info from census/bmd/probate/etc I take unsourced trees with a pinch of salt.

That said, there is surely a rationale behind the establishment of Gresford, NSW and clues to that may help in establishing any connections.

Oh, and careless researchers ... I just love seeing possible relations disappear from my radar because the quoted sources "prove" they changed parents, and counties, between birth and first census :)
Challenor, Heylands, Humberstone, Huxley, Kirkham, Langridge, Lloyd, Merriott, Oliver, Phoenix, Tiltson, Williamson

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 December 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
"The Hunter Valley was locked out to free settlers prior to 1820, which resulted in the first local land grants being made around 1826 when George Townsend (Trevallyn), Charles Boydell (Camyr Allyn) and Alexander Park (Lewinsbrook), received their grants. Townshend and Boydell were neighbours in Wales and many other Welsh settlers followed. Locality names including Gresford, Eccleston, Halton, Trevallyn, the Allyn river, Summer Hill and Caergwrle continue to reflect these strong Welsh links"
http://www.gresfordnsw.com.au/gresford/gresford-history/

Offline FeteFatale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census, what Census?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 December 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. The Gresford site has names, dates, and cemetery indexes - perfect.