Author Topic: Robert Henry COX b. 1785 and Caroline GEE b. 1792 of "Lisaroe and Ballyguin"  (Read 11392 times)

Offline lyria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert Henry COX b. 1785 and Caroline GEE b. 1792 of "Lisaroe and Ballyguin"
« on: Wednesday 28 September 05 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Just thought i'd try my luck and see if anyone had any further information on Caroline Gee b. 1792 and Robert Henry Cox b. 1785 (Robert was actually born in Scotland)

The two were married in 1818 at the Cathedral Church of St Coleman's, Cloyne, Cork but they lived at either Lisaroe or Ballyguin which were apparently Gee family estates.

The couple had three boys
b. 1819 James Paul Gee Cox
b. 1825 Henry Robert Cox
b. 1835 Charles Webb Cox (born in Australia)

They family arrived in Australia in 1829.

If anyone has any further background info on the Gee's and/or Cox's it would be greatly appreciated! Or even just a pointer to head me in a direction to search.

Thanks again,

Olivia Trim
Trim, Epps, Milsom, Allen, Warner, Monahan, Rose, Hobbs, McGrath, McCullum, Hughes, Cox, Gee, Johnston, Young.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Henry COX b. 1785 and Caroline GEE b. 1792 of "Lisaroe and Ballyguin"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 June 08 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Olivia,

I wonder if there are any records for the Gee family's Irish  estates held in archives somewhere. "The History of Woy Woy" which was compiled by the Librarian at the Local Studies section of the Gosford City Library in March 2006 says that several months after Caroline and Robert arrived in Australia in 1829 Robert was promised a 1280 acre grant of land at Brisbane Water. This grant was named Lisaroe, after Caroline's home place in Ireland. http://tinyurl.com/3t82mk

The Waterford County Museum - "Ardmore Memory & Story" site mentions the Gee family. http://tinyurl.com/6p2apg Griffith's Valuation for Waterford (1848-51) lists six people named Gee at Ardmore. www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/waterford/ardmore.htm

Thomas Joseph Gee of Waterford posted a message in 1998 which is on the Gee Family Queries website. His family came from Co. Laois but it's possible there's a connection http://www2.arkansas.net/~mgee/98query.html

Christopher

Offline RIF1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Henry COX b. 1785 and Caroline GEE b. 1792 of "Lisaroe and Ballyguin"
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 09 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Olivia,

I am related to this family and I certainly hope you check back often.  You have probably changed your email addy although I will give it a try.  You can contact me via (*).  Would love to know where you fit into this family as I thought I was the only one doing any research on it.

Robyn

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Miss.Anna77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

My name is Anna. I have no idea whether this thread is still being viewed. I did however wish to write that I am directly descended from Elizabeth Helen Anne Cox - My grandmother. She is the daughter of Robert Henry Cox a descendant of Henry Robert Cox (1825), the son of the first Robert Henry Cox (Married to Caroline Gee).

The Cox-Gee family tree is of great interest to me, especially with regards to estate and property.

I found an excerpt on the internet:
"Cox family & town centre: Robert Cox and his wife Caroline and two sons arrived at Port Jackson from London in January 1829. Several months after arriving Cox was promised a 1280 acre grant of land at Brisbane Water. This grant came to be called Lisaroe, after Caroline's home place in Ireland. Robert started a timber business in Sydney. Robert became firm friends with James Webb, the first settler of Brisbane Water who had come to the area in 1823. When Webb died in 1848 he left his properties Mullbong Farm near The Rip, and Why Why Creek to Cox family members.

Why Why Creek was to become the site for the old town of Woy Woy. James Paul Gee Cox the II erected various shops, cottages and the Woy Woy Hotel for lease. The land was finally surveyed and subdivided and sold up in the early 1900s."

I have been doing some research with regards to our particular family origins. As I am completing my degree is Heritage Studies, it seems that it is appropriate to apply my research skills into discovering the origins of my family.

Robyn...I think I remember you. You're Elizabeth's cousin are you not? I remember coming to your house when I was a little girl. Remember me? Jennifer's daughter?

Anna.

Offline Miss.Anna77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Of course - I'm not certain if you actually are the Robyn I remember. There is a potential for many.

If you are not the one from Dural, Australia, I apologise.

:)

Offline TomKearns

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 January 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,
My wife's tree goes back to Henry Robert Cox who married Eliza Young. One of their many children was Charles Webb who married Christiana Campbell. They had one child Enid Campbell Cox who was my wife's Grandmother. I have a reasonable take on the Coxes from the time they arrived in OZ. My problem is going back to the Irish tree members. So far little luck in that area.
Hope you read this.
Regards Allan

Offline firemanden2003

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My name is Denis Cox of Ettalong. I just got told about this by my friend and i called my dad as soon as i knew. My dad aslo Denis Cox Told me that my pops dads name was James Paul Cox. My pops Name was Mark Cox.

Ive also been given my Great Uncles phone number as he has our Family Tree. So im hoping by next week ill have some more news.

Id really like to talk to people that know about my family.

Thanks again

Denis Cox

Offline RIF1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 June 13 07:23 BST (UK) »
Denis, just saw your listing and am very interested in which James Paul Gee Cox is connected to you.  I have tried to find a phone number with no success, so if you could contact me Fulton at Dural or if I am allowed to post this via my web site www.rif1945@tribalpages.com.  Would love to hear from you

Robyn Fulton