Author Topic: Maryland Farm in Moray  (Read 6399 times)

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maryland Farm in Moray
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Could someone provide details of the farm, "Maryland", which I believe was located in Moray in the 1870s.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Maryland Farm in Moray
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 09:17 GMT (UK) »
There is no farm called Maryland in Moray in the 1881 census, and there is nothing in LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp about any place called Maryland.

Can you give us full details of where you found the name, and of the people associated with it?

I can think of a Marypark, Maryburgh, Marybank, Maryhill, Marydale, Maryfield, Mayville, Marywood and Marywell.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 13 08:45 GMT (UK) »
There was a farm called Maryland in the Parish of Drainie. A list of tenants of the Gordonstoun estate in 1830 includes Alexander Laing, Alexander Badden, John Henry and James Walker as tenants there. They are all also shown as tenants at Sweethillock farm so the two may have been amalgamated at a later date. Sweethillock is shown on the current OS map, just south of Covesea on the edge of the air-base at Lossiemouth, so what was Maryland may have disappeared under it.
Regards, Alastair
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 13 15:08 GMT (UK) »
There was a farm called Maryland in the Parish of Drainie. A list of tenants of the Gordonstoun estate in 1830 includes Alexander Laing, Alexander Badden, John Henry and James Walker as tenants there. They are all also shown as tenants at Sweethillock farm so the two may have been amalgamated at a later date. Sweethillock is shown on the current OS map, just south of Covesea on the edge of the air-base at Lossiemouth, so what was Maryland may have disappeared under it.
Regards, Alastair

Thanks very much for the historical info on Maryland. It comes up several times as the residence of a David Grant in the 1860s and 1870s where he lived and worked as a farm servant/ploughman. I believe that this David Grant my great grandfather.

Offline Mevs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 July 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
In 1871 the family is at the farm called Maryland in the parish of Drainie but in 1881 the farm is called Merryland.  There is neither a Maryland nor a Merryland on a map of the time but there is a Merryton and I suspect that this could be the right farm.  It is now under the RAF base at Lossiemouth.  Have you used the National Library of Scotland maps website?  This is excellent and for some of the old maps you can superimpose them on a modern map or a modern aerial view which is a brilliant way of working out not only just where a property was but also whether it is still in existence.

In 1891 their address is Front Street, Duffus.  The village of Duffus is not far from Drainie but is on the opposite side of the Gordonstoun Estate - the west side.  There is no Front Street in Duffus unless this refers to what is now the Hopeman Road which is indeed the 'front' street of the village.  However, in 1901 the family's address is 19 Farquhar Street, Duffus.  Again there is no Farquhar Street in Duffus village but this will be Farquhar Street in the village of Hopeman which is some two miles to the west of Duffus.  Hopeman is within the parish of Duffus so would probably be recorded as Duffus in a census.

Mary

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 July 13 21:13 BST (UK) »
In 1891 their address is Front Street, Duffus.  The village of Duffus is not far from Drainie but is on the opposite side of the Gordonstoun Estate - the west side.  There is no Front Street in Duffus unless this refers to what is now the Hopeman Road which is indeed the 'front' street of the village.  However, in 1901 the family's address is 19 Farquhar Street, Duffus.  Again there is no Farquhar Street in Duffus village but this will be Farquhar Street in the village of Hopeman which is some two miles to the west of Duffus.  Hopeman is within the parish of Duffus so would probably be recorded as Duffus in a census.

Clearly, you are viewing a transcription, not the original image, of the census. The available censuses were organised on the basis of the parishes, so yes, the village of Hopeman is recorded in the parish of Duffus. In the originals, there is a box at the top of the page for the enumerator to enter the name of the town, village etc. For reasons best know to themselves (and incomprehensible to me) most organisations that transcribe the census omit to include this information in the transcription, so you get addresses like 'Farquhar Street, Duffus' which, if it had been fully and correctly transcribed, would have read 'Farquhar Street, Hopeman, (parish of) Duffus'.

Another reason why it is never sufficient to rely on transcriptions - always have a look at the original document to be sure that you have the correct information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mevs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 July 13 21:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was viewing the transcript in this case as this was what was easily available to me - the original would have had to be downloaded from Scotland's People or would have involved a visit to the local Heritage Centre.  I had actually included the phrase 'especially when viewing a transcript' when I first typed it out then took that bit out at the last minute before posting!

I entirely agree with you that it is essential to view the original to be absolutely sure of getting the information correct and would always do so having viewed a transcript.  In this case, just making an initial post in reply and knowing the streets of the two villages well, I opted for keeping it simple.

Apologies!

Mary

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was viewing the transcript in this case as this was what was easily available to me - the original would have had to be downloaded from Scotland's People or would have involved a visit to the local Heritage Centre.  I had actually included the phrase 'especially when viewing a transcript' when I first typed it out then took that bit out at the last minute before posting!

I entirely agree with you that it is essential to view the original to be absolutely sure of getting the information correct and would always do so having viewed a transcript.  In this case, just making an initial post in reply and knowing the streets of the two villages well, I opted for keeping it simple.

Apologies!

Mary

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • William James Hiddleston Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if the Merryton that Mev mentioned could be the same place as mentioned in my 8x g-grandfather, William Layng's birth in Drainie parish in 1666. The record says (as far as I can make out) :-

"Thomas Layng in Merstone? had his Lawfull Sonne baptized named William, witnefses Alexr Anderfon in Merstone?  y Jon Ray (or possibly Lay)  younger, webfter in Pe-----"

William Layng was a carpenter and lived in Covesea (or 'Covfea' as stated on his daughter Issobell's birth record).

Anyone else related to the Layng / Laing family from Covesea, Drainie?

June
Wilson, Hiddleston, Shankland, McCall, Dickson, Carruthers, Grierson: Dumfriesshire.
Duguid, Strachan, Kellas, Mitchell: Glenmuick / Aboyne / Bellabeg / Logie Coldstone / Peterhead.