Author Topic: St Domingo 1806  (Read 680 times)

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Domingo 1806
« on: Friday 08 August 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
Could some kind person decipher the attached document for me. I suspect that the Walter Glover listed may be one of my ancestors. I would love to find out more about this man and hopefully confirm my suspicions. My Walter Glover was stationed at Bere Island, Castletownbere in 1822. I have no idea what the document is or how to delve further. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Glover,Moriarty,Kennelly,Brosnan all based in Kerry.
Evans and Fitzpatrick in Dublin

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Domingo 1806
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 02:58 BST (UK) »
Cannot read the attachment. The forum limit is 500 Kb and yours is less that 20Kb. So there is scope for improvement, or try posting a link if it is on a web page.

However it is likely to be a page from the Naval General Service Medal roll. St Domingo 1806 was one of 231 clasps sanctioned. Men had to be alive in 1847, and claim the medal and clasps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_clasps_to_the_Naval_General_Service_Medal_(1847)

Ken

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
It says he was a Sergeant in the Royal Marines serving on the ship Donegal at the Battle of San Domingo in 1806. The endorsement "Birmingham" perhaps suggests that he was living there in 1847 when the clasp was awarded
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the upload, here's a link instead.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=272952&d=1379943912
 Thanks a million for the replies, very informative. I suspect that my Walter was alive in 1848. Here are details of his daughter's marriage http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/8a0da00031264.
I know that's no guarantee he wasn't deceased but I think this is a line worth checking.
He is also listed here http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a303e20155788.
i know he is listed as a soldier (not sailor) and I'm not sure how relevant that is. I found a great report at the Military archives entitled
Bere Island in Bantry Bay with a review of its effective powers as a Fortfied Place. Written by Lt Alexander Alcock, Royal Artillery, 1824.
According to this report those stationed at Bere Island during that time were suffering from lack of food and very harsh conditions and many moved on to other parts of the country in search of food and work.
I shall check out that list of clasps and the Birmingham link. I hope it leads to something, I've traced my family back to this brick wall and I really want to get over it. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 August 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
There is a Walter Glover in Birmingham in the 1851 census. A Greenwich pensioner (which would fit with Royal Marines service) aged 71, born Bloxwich, Staffs. Wife Bessy age 55 born Aldridge Staffs.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 August 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Shaun, the time frame is certainly right. It would be hilarious if that's my Walter. My roots are firmly Irish but myself and my sister were born in Birmingham. My parents went there from Dublin in the 1950s and although we came back here in the late 60s we still have lots of Birmingham connections. Oh I'd love if that were him !
I'm going to check the Staffordshire BMDs to see if any other the other names I have are there.
Thanks again

Edit : Just realised that the mother on the birth record I posted is Catherine Sullivan. So I'm probably on the wrong track with the Birmingham Walter  :'(. Unless Bessy is a 2nd wife