Author Topic: Burial grounds around Langholm  (Read 4067 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Burial grounds around Langholm
« on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me the addresses for the burial grounds in and around Langholm (G00gle maps is doing my head in!!!!)

I'm trying to find postcodes I can load into the satnav for our trip up to the area later this month.

I'm aware of Canonbie and  Ewes, which I've visited before but can't remember how to get to them easily, and I'm not sure I've been to  Wauchope and the Auld Kirkyard (is that formerly Staplegordon?)

Any help or pointing-me-in-the-right-direction would be much appreciated! (especially by Mr Stoney, who'll be driving!  ;D )

Regards,

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Burial grounds around Langholm
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 March 14 15:00 GMT (UK) »
There is this map here that might help www.historicchurchyards.co.uk/churchyards Just click on the individual 'flag' to bring up further details.

Added: Also this main reference point here www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=11122

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I don’t know if this information will assist you on your visit to DG – I hope it doesn’t add confusion.  I’m guessing you wish to visit the old graveyards of the area in search of your roots.

DGFHS Family History Research Centre in Dumfries hold records of MIs lists from many of them.  As a DGFHS volunteer I was involved in the publication of a booklet listing Burials Records extracted from the Langholm Parish OPRs.
In the course of the preparation of the booklet I discovered that the Langholm records covered many burials of persons who lived in neighbouring Parishes to Langholm, even though all of these neighbouring parish have their own burial grounds.   I compiled the following table to illustrate this fact.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

For the old graveyard in the middle of Langholm you need to visit the town hall to get the key, so arrive during week-day business hours. It is possible to make alternative arrangements but you would still need to speak to the town hall staff. Wauchope cemetery is just outside Langholm on the Lockerbie road. Ewes is a few miles north on the A7 and just a little further on the opposite side  is Unthank which is unmarked and in the middle of Unthank farmyard.

Best wishes

Ian A McClumpha

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Staplegordon Churchyard is reached by leaving Langholm on the Eskdalemuir road.

About 1km after the 30mph sign, there is a minor road dipping down to the right at the end of a wood. 

Take this narrow road and follow it (about 2km) crossing a metal bridge over the Esk.   After this bridge, park considerately, and walk to your left (heading N-W) through the farmyard. You’ll see a mound where Barntalloch castle once stood and the churchyard over to your right.

The uneven track can be muddy and wet: it is not wheel-chair friendly.
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;