Author Topic: Simpson Buglass, Ayton  (Read 18321 times)

Offline Jim Greig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson Buglass, Ayton
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
Marjory Greig (daughter of my Grt x 4 Grandfather) married George Buglass in Ayton.

George Buglass was the brother of Simpson Buglass (gardener). Their parents were James Buglass & Margaret Nisbet.

Are we allowed to post e-mail adresses on this forum?

If so, I will post mine so you can contact me directly and I can send you details of how the Greig's fit in and compare research notes.

Greig - Coltbridge/Edinburgh/Ayton/Earlston/Carlisle/Sheffield/Manchester
Walker - Altrincham/Manchester/Salford
Hunt - Redhill/Earlswood/Dover
Dreher - Derby/Salford/Manchester

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
You send a personal message with an e-mail address.  Which I'll do!
Lancashire, Yorkshire, India: Jepson, Rothwell, Wilcock,
Dumfries, Ontario, BC: Walker, Laidlaw, Lorimer
Devonshire: Bullen
Durham: Lomas, Hodge
Northumberland: Henderson
Berwickshire: Buglass, Renton

Offline SimpsonBuglass1952

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 November 13 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am Simpson Buglass's 3xgt grandson. I have some info. What are you missing?

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 November 13 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello cousin!

I guess mainly I'd like to know more about the estate that he was head gardener at.  I'll have to read through this thread again to see exactly what was on it.  I'd also love to know if there are any family photographs as my grandmother destroyed all her husband's family pictures before she emigrated to Canada.  She was in the beginning stages of dementia.  I have one picture of his daughter, Agnes, as an old woman and that's it.

Thanks so much for getting in touch

Pat
Lancashire, Yorkshire, India: Jepson, Rothwell, Wilcock,
Dumfries, Ontario, BC: Walker, Laidlaw, Lorimer
Devonshire: Bullen
Durham: Lomas, Hodge
Northumberland: Henderson
Berwickshire: Buglass, Renton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 November 13 07:29 GMT (UK) »
I have no family photos from then. But i have been in touch with Ayton Castle estate to see if i could access estate records which should include photographs of the staff and i am currently trying to sort this out. Their Simpson Buglass was a bit of a character it would seem and he had a fairly impressive grave stone erected and paid for out of public subscription. I have a photo of it somewhere, would you like a copy? I also have a copy of his article on lepidopterae which he contributed to the Berwickshire Naturalists Society and also I think, his obituary. Is your Buglass family tall? I am 6'4", my grandfather James Buglass was 6'2" as was his father Simpson Buglass, son of the Ayton Simpson. Want to see my family tree? I am interested in your findings on Buglass antecedents from before James Buglass/ Margaret Nisbet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 November 13 07:42 GMT (UK) »
I've also a done Y chromosome DNA analysis on myself to see if the Buglass name came in from an exotic source. My male antecedents walked north at the end of the last ice age and were the first people to colonise Scotland. So unless there was any "wrong side of the bed covers nonsense" (always possible) then all my Buglass male antecedents are 100% Caledonian Scots. I have been told that I have the same genetic markers as the Picts including genes for red hair.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 November 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I've also a done Y chromosome DNA analysis on myself to see if the Buglass name came in from an exotic source. It turns out that my male antecedents walked north at the end of the last ice age and were the first people to colonise Scotland. So unless there was any "wrong side of the bed covers nonsense" (always possible) then all my Buglass male antecedents are 100% Caledonian Scots. I have been told that I have the same genetic markers as the Picts, including genes for red hair.

Offline glenman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have no family photos from then. But i have been in touch with Ayton Castle estate to see if i could access estate records which should include photographs of the staff and i am currently trying to sort this out. Their Simpson Buglass was a bit of a character it would seem and he had a fairly impressive grave stone erected and paid for out of public subscription. I have a photo of it somewhere, would you like a copy? I also have a copy of his article on lepidopterae which he contributed to the Berwickshire Naturalists Society and also I think, his obituary. Is your Buglass family tall? I am 6'4", my grandfather James Buglass was 6'2" as was his father Simpson Buglass, son of the Ayton Simpson. Want to see my family tree? I am interested in your findings on Buglass antecedents from before James Buglass/ Margaret Nisbet

The 1891 Census for Colinton, Midlothian lists a Simpson Burglass, born at Ayton, Berwickshire, Scotland in 1852. At the date the census was taken, he was living with sons George, Andrew and James, together with his mother in law, Ann Joiner.

Assuming there is a connection, do yo have any information on George you might wish to share?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 07 July 16 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Glenman,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I am sorry but we have been unable to contact SimpsonBuglass1952, he was using his employer email address but has now moved jobs - hopefully Pat is still in touch.

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk