Author Topic: McIvor - Ardboe area 1817 onwards  (Read 16500 times)

Offline Dette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McIvor - Ardboe area 1817 onwards
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 June 12 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat, thanks for sending this through.  i'm not sure now where I found the info on Jeremiah (the one on the headstone).  I know that he is the father of Joseph (my great grandfather), Patrick, Nancy Ann and Mary.  If he was born in 1837, he would have been only 13 years old when Nancy Ann was baptised.  Is this feasible? 

I hadn't thought about Jeremiah marrying Ann McSloy then Sara McIvor as I haven't been able to find death entries for Jeremiah, Ann McSloy, or Sara Mcivor. 
Is there any other details available of photographs or records of the headstones in the cemetary?
Perhaps this is a mystery that won't be solved until I get to heaven to ask them myself!!

Thanks again.

Dette
Yorkshire - Auton, Thompson, Beckwith, Ingleby.
Buckinghamshire - Garner, Holland, Southam,.
Ireland - McIvor, McIver, Ryan, Dwan, Lenihan/Lenehan, Wallace.
India - Glenday.
France - La Bruniy
Australia - all of the above

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 June 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Public Record Office in Belfast have a will, complete with image, for Hugh McIvor of Ballymurphy, Co. Tyrone, who died on 22 Oct 1895. See http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Tyresson2012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Might this family be related to McIevers from Coltrim / Ringsend close to Drumullan and Moneymore at all?
Coulter - Teressan, Cookstown, Co Tyrone
Coulter - Rhode Island, Providence USA
Boyce - Carndaisy, Moneymore, Co Londonderry
Murphy - Carrydaragh, Moneymore, Co Londonderry
Harkley / Hartley - Moneymore, Co Londonderry
Higginson - Gortagilly, Moneymore, Co Londondery
Montgomery - Portglenone / Belfast & Cookstown
Morgan - Cookstown Co Tyrone
Purvis - Claremount, Cookstown, Co Tyrone
Nixon, Cookstown, County Tyrone
Bell - Tamlaghtmore, Cooksown

Offline PMG04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Dette, I have a feeling I replied to you on this topic some time ago, advising you that there appears to be a fundamental mix-up in the information you have on the Jeremiah McIvors.
I will again set out the details as they are in the Ardboe registers plus the inscription on a headstone – this should clarify things for you, hopefully.

The Ardboe parish (Catholic) marriage register contains the following entry, partly in Latin:
25 Maii 1849. Jeremium McIver et Sara McIver. Testibus Jacobo et Maria McIver
(In English)  25 May 1849. Jeremiah McIver and Sarah McIver. Witnesses James and Mary McIver

The baptismal register contains the following baptisms:
15 March 1850 – Nancy Ann of (blank) McIver and Sarah McIver. Sponsors: Hugh McIver and Margaret McEver. [Address] Mullaghwhitra (a townland in Ardboe parish)
16 December 1852 – Joseph of Jeremiah McIver and Sara McIver. Sponsors: Patrick Mulvanagh and Hanagh McIver. [Address] Barracks (a hill in the townland of Drumaney in Ardboe parish)
2 November 1854 – Mary of Jeremiah McEver and Sarah McEver. Sponsors: John and Mary McEver
5 September 1856 – Patrick of Jeremy McEver and Sarah McEver. Sponsors: John Mallon and Sarah Muldoon

I would very much doubt that this Jeremiah McIver/McEver was the man who married Isabella Harbison in Ardboe in 1876 and had five children, namely Jeremiah (1877); James (1879); Hugh (1881); Anne (1883); John (1886?)
There is a headstone in Mullinahoe graveyard in Ardboe which has the following inscription:
Pray for the souls of Jeremiah McIvor, Ballymurphy, died 6th May 1900 aged 63. His wife Isabella died 7th April 1910 aged 67. His daughter Annie died 8th March 1909 aged 23. And his sons James died 27th April 1933 aged 54. Jeremiah died in USA April 1945. His daughter-in-law Mary McIvor died 1st Oct 1956 aged 57. And her husband John McIvor died 5th Feb 1983 aged 97. Hugh died in Glasgow April 1965 aged 76. McIvor

There is no baptismal entry for a Jeremiah McIver/McEver/McIvor in 1837 or around that date. However there are two baptismal entries for children of Jeremiah McIver and Anna McSloy:
27 September 1832 – Mary of Jeremiagh McIver and Anna McSloy. Sponsors: Michael Brien and Mary McIver. [Address] Barracks (a hill in the townland of Drumaney in Ardboe parish)
4 March 1836 – John of Jeremia McIver and Anna McSloy. Sponsors: Hugh Banigan and Sara Brien. [Address] Barracks (a hill in the townland of Drumaney in Ardboe parish)

It’s my guess that the Jeremiah who died in 1900 belonged to this family. He may have been born in 1837/38, but for some reason his baptism was not registered; it is also possible that a mistake was made in the 1836 entry (John instead of Jeremiah).

I would also suggest that the Jeremiah who was married to Anna McSloy in the 1830s may have been the man who married Sarah McIver in 1849?   

Offline Dette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 04:10 BST (UK) »
Tyresson2012 - sorry no connections.
Yorkshire - Auton, Thompson, Beckwith, Ingleby.
Buckinghamshire - Garner, Holland, Southam,.
Ireland - McIvor, McIver, Ryan, Dwan, Lenihan/Lenehan, Wallace.
India - Glenday.
France - La Bruniy
Australia - all of the above