Author Topic: groarke/brady family  (Read 10687 times)

Offline Ann Onimous

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
groarke/brady family
« on: Monday 01 July 13 06:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding anything about Patrick Joseph Groarke from Cullane Swinford Co Mayo. b. 1893 He married Catherine Brady and had two children. He went to America for work and died there 1932. He was one of 10 children to Thomas Groarke (farmer) who married Bridget Durkin Would appreciate any information about this family

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: groarke/brady family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Looks like some of the family in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Swineford/Cuillaun/1600920

A few of the family remaining at home in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Swineford/Cuillaun/742525

Several possible entries in LDS database (www.familysearch.org)- including this one:
Prison register for a Laurence Groake the right age to be the one in 1901 census-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMS9-JCK
I searched for Groake with parents Thomas & Bridget and it's possible that her maiden name was Durkan but a birth certificate for one of the children would confirm or eliminate this.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ann Onimous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Yes that looks likely to be the family I am looking for and was told by the family that there was a Laurence sibling to Patrick but I had no dates of birth to go looking for them. At least I can calculate the births now and see else what I can find. There are different ways to spell the mothers maiden name Durkin, Durken, Durcan etc so that posed a problem as well. I have tried the LDS site from the info you gave me and tried to get the prison record for Laurence but I can't seem to find it. I even typed into net https://familysearch.org/pal:MM9.1.1/KMS0=JCK but that didn't bring anything up either. What did you use to get into this site.  Thank you again for all your help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
It's explained on the site- click onto 'explore viewing options' on right side of page and you'll see
"This image is available:
When using the site at a FamilySearch Center.
To signed-in members of supporting organizations."

Offline Ann Onimous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 02:17 BST (UK) »
Yes I did get it after registering and signing in however the printout wasn't available and asked that I try later which I will do. I have tried to get more details on Ancestry from the info you gave but to no avail. Is it possible to give me any more information Regarding Thomas Groarke  B 1846 and Bridget Durken  b1856 re birth, death & marriage Anything would be helpful for me to go further Thanks for all your help it's great

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificates for Thomas & Bridget. According to 1911 census they were married 36 years (c1875)-
MARRIAGE: Thomas Groark 1875 Swineford registration district volume 4 page 428 (Bridget Durkan on same page)
The certificate will list where they lived at the time of the marriage as well as fathers' names and occupations.

1911 census says they had 9 children (all living at the time).
1. Thomas (1876) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG6P-TSS
2. Maria (1877) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPQQ-8ZT
3. John (1880) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGGN-24R
4. Anne (c1881 according to 1901 census)
5. Bridget (c1886 according to 1901 census)
6. James (c1888 according to 1901 census)
7. Ellen (c1889 according to 1911 census)
8. Laurence (c1892)
9. Patrick (c1894 according to 1901 census)

According to 1911 census Bridget was aged 65 (born c1846) and there are several possible deaths in the civil registration index- see here. You can use the same index to search for the rest of the family (goes up to 1958).

Offline Ann Onimous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Hopefully these are the correct people I will apply to Ireland again (as I did for Patrick & Catherine) for photocopy of marriage certificate for Thomas & Bridget (only costs 9Euros) so that I can get further information Thanks again

Offline Ann Onimous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 14:28 BST (UK) »
Just noticed, when I look at the census for 1901 it works out that Thomas was then 55 which would mean he was born 1846 and Bridget 1856 there's a 6 year age difference on 1911 census which would mean Thomas born 1840. The 1911 census also says Bridget cannot read but on 1901 census says she can  read, not sure this is the same Groarke family so I will take my dates and information from 1901 census. Thanks for all your help I am sure you will be hearing from me again as I am actually compiling 3 family history sites

Offline groarke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 June 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, this is incredible! I think I'm descended from the same family, and my father was named after this Thomas Groarke! If you any information, please let me know! I don't know much about my father's history, except my paternal Grandfather was Anthony Groarke, one of many sons whom came from a large farming family by the name of Groarke?! Sounds all too familiar to me!?