Author Topic: George Edward Lindsay - Missing After 1891!  (Read 1896 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
George Edward Lindsay - Missing After 1891!
« on: Thursday 20 November 14 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am helping a friend with their family research but one of their rellies is either missing or lost!

George Edward Lindsay b1876 in Doncaster, West Riding of Yorkshire to parents Robert & Martha Lindsay.

I have him in 1881 (RG11/4692/16/25&26) with his family age 4 & in 1891 (RG12/3864/130/40) also with his family as a 14 year old errand boy. After this nothing, no deaths or marriages.

There is a George Edward Lindsay born the same quarter & year in Huddersfield complicating the issue. This is a completely different fellow and is the George Edward that marries Annie Beatrice Roper in 1898 just to avoid unnecessary duplication of work already done.

What happened to George Edward Lindsay? Where did he go?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Edward Lindsay - Missing After 1891!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 November 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for a George Edward Lindsay in Agra, India.

DoB: 1876
Death:1897
Age at death: 21

Record source: GRO Army Death Indices

So maybe he joined the army and that's why you can't find him :-\

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 November 14 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi sgf28,

Many thanks for that, I'll most definately check that out. Would certainly explain why, as you say, I couldn't find him!

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 January 15 01:09 GMT (UK) »
This maybe a shot in the dark but there are a few George or Geo Lindsays who arrived in Australia around the turn of the century.

I mention this because not everyone is aware of the many and varied recruitment schemes that were operating at that time to attract particularly labourers to the new colony. On one side of my family I have a convict Aussie past but on the other an English grandfather who migrated to Aust in 1914. He was a "city slicker"  managing a dept store when he died, it wasn't until I read his war record I found he originally worked in country Victoria on a farm so I started asking questions.

I discovered the "Farm boys and lads scheme" that bought out kids as young as 14 to work on the land. These were organised by church groups, towns and governments to move the unemployed farm workers to full employment in Australian country towns. Their fares were paid for by these organisations/charities and as such were usually deemed Non-Assisted passengers (because not strictly a govt scheme) if you search the Aussie files. You can then look up our trove.nla.gov.au (old newspapers digitised and read details of the ships)

In my case I found my grandfather's name on a ship and then all the details in the newspapers about how the boys/men were assigned to farmers etc. In my case though he had an unusual name which made it heaps easier.

I have posted this also with the intention of making others aware of the schemes in case they to come across similar brick walls.

Cheers
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 January 15 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mabeljessie,

Many thanks indeed for bringing the 'many and varied recruitment schemes' to Australia to my attention, its very much appreciated indeed. I was unaware of such schemes etc & I shall certainly check this possibility out!

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David