Author Topic: Spalding or Spalden in Peebles  (Read 7679 times)

Offline MarkVS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spalding or Spalden in Peebles
« on: Friday 06 October 06 17:42 BST (UK) »
I am searching for parents of William Spalding (or Spalden) who married Janet Wilson in Peebles in 1769.

It appears that he was not born in Peebles although he did live there until he died, sometime after 1815.

He was a nursuryman and they had children James and Margaret (and perhaps others) and the occupation of nursuryman carried on in the family until at least the 1920's.

Any information or connections to this family, greatly appreciated.  The last record I have of a Spalding in Peebles is a Marion Spalding, who died in the 1960's.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Spalding or Spalden in Peebles
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 February 07 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
I'm sorry I can't help you with the older Spaldings. At the moment I have the 1861 census, parish of Peebles. Perhaps you already have this:
William Spalding, unmarried, was living at Eastgate end, Peebles, 64 yrs. His occupation was Landed Proprietor and he was born Manor, Peebles.
In Northgate, Peebles Thomas Spalding, 62, Nurseryman
Grace, wife, 40; James, son, 14; Margaret, dau, 4; Grace, dau, 2; W.G., son, 1m;
all born Peebles.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline jmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jane Ferguson Gaston
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 10 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
I am just transcribing the will of my ancestor John Brodie of Northgate, Peebles. In his Inventory he lists those owing money to his estate, including Mr. James Spalding, Nurseryman Peebles. Brodie's will was executed 7th Nov 1831.
Hope this helps is some small way.
Ireland--Park, Lyons, Gaston, McCartney
Scotland--Dobson, Brodie, Sanderson, Ormiston, Easton, Moffat

Offline jmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jane Ferguson Gaston
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 10 05:35 GMT (UK) »
This link is for a map of Northgate, Peebles. Scroll to the top right to see two Spalding residences.

http://www.nls.uk:8080/StyleServer/calcrgn?cat=Maps&item=/74400052.sid&style=maps.xsl&wid=700&hei=500&browser=win_ie&plugin=false#

Offline MarkVS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the post with details of the will.   I think John Brodie may have been one of the members of the Peebles Gutterbluid Club.  He attended their annual meetings in 1829, 1830 and 1831.

I note a "Fergusson" photo on your profile page - are you descended from any of the Fergussons in Peebles?  MVS

Offline jmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jane Ferguson Gaston
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for this, Mark!  Any and all details are so welcome to help flesh out a family profile. Would you mind telling me your source? Do you have access to the society minutes?

My Fergussons are Irish from County Antrim, Ireland.

Cheers

Offline MarkVS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes I did have access to the Minutes of the Gutterbluid - I will see what I have on file and come back to you.  Send yr email to me at mark.spalding at silversands dot co dot uk and I can send you any scans I have,  Mark

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 February 11 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Sheila Scott's Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) for Peeblesshire reads as follows for Spalding:   Peebles Cemetery (St. Andrew's Churchyard)
(Obelisk) Jas Spalding nurseryman 16.12.1843 70, w Margt Bookless 28.7.1828 55, s Wm 13.10.1862 65;  Thos Spalding nurseryman d Peebles 31.10.187?? (I cannot make out this number as it is so faint on the print - it could be a 3, 8 or 9) 73, w Grace Hamilton 12.11.1898 77, chn Margt 11.10.184(7) 11m, Wm 5.3.1858 4, Grace 4.5.1869 10y 10m, Marion 2.7.1894 42, Wm Geo d Alberta Canada 28.3.1909 48, Margt 22.5.1910 54;   Jas Spalding 19.4.1927 80, w Barbara Cairns 30.7.1908 63, s John 16.1.1879 1y 8m, da Marion 17.6.1968 93;  Thos Spalding s of Jas 31.12.1916 44, w Chr Kate Herriot 16.1.1916 37.

Hope you find this useful.

Brina :D