Author Topic: Samuel Woodall Dudley  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Katrina1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Woodall Dudley
« on: Friday 20 June 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys
I really could do with some help finding this one.
Samuel Woodall birth 1872 Staveley Chesterfield Derbyshire  1st wife  Ann Peabody birth 1872 marriage took place 1892 Ann died in 1898 when a washing mangle hit her in the chest they had 2 children Thomas (Thos) birth 1894 -1918 and Mary Ann born 6th March 1896 (my grandmother).
Samuel with the help of his parents looked after the children, however they were split up and  Thomas was sent to live with mothers parents while Mary Ann Stayed with Samuel.
In 1911 Samuel met and married Mary Jane Marple who was happy to look after either of Samuel's and Anne's children so she put them out on the Street to fend for themselves while she and Samuel moved to Dudley into the pub trade they left no forwarding address so both of the children were left to roam the streets Thomas was 7 yrs and Mary Ann 5 yrs they were found by William Jackson the husband of of Alice Peabody in an unkempt state scavenging for food William took them to alice and the were raised as the couples own ( Alice was Anne's Sister)nobody knew where to find Samuel until Thomas was kiled in action WW1 that was the last time Mary Ann had heard from her father. The last time the familil had contact was on the day they wer told about Thomas I would be grateful if anbody has any Information relating to Samuel and Mary Jane residence from 1911 I do not have any other information  other than they were in the pubtrade in and around Dudley.
Regards
Katrina 
Buckley's of Madeley Shropshire, Rochdale, Oldham Cheshire, Bulkeley's of Cheshire and Beaumaris Anglesey Wales Stanton, Turner, Taylor, Peabody. Woodall, Perkin, Wadsworth, Whittaker.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Woodall Dudley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
A possibility -

Probate index entry

Samuel Woodall of 38 Owen Street Kates Hill Dudley died 5 March 1936 Admiun to Elizabeth Woodall widow and Joseph Samuel Woodall tile cutter.

Death index shows he is of right age for "your" one.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Katrina1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 June 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your response, so the information I had was quite definitely accurate about the move to Dudley it is quite reassuring to know that my late father was right about the information, I have a feeling that his will was contested has she was his 3rd wife and he still had a surviving daughter from his 1st marriage to Anne Peabody. that is why it went to probate my grandmother inherited her share and I believe that my granduncles share went to his son Stanley T Woodall.
Samuel Woodall's son Thomas was killed 14th October 1918 in France and Flanders and his grave is at Hooge Crater Belgium I do not believe that his 2nd or 3rd wife inherited anything other than personal effects from the will as my dad stated they had no real claim to the money as most of it came from Samuel's father. from what we  were told Samuel never contacted my grandmother after the loss of Thomas it was the solicitor acting on behalf of Stanley who informed Mary Ann of her fathers death and the will and Stanley paid for the contesting of the will for her, she did have a good bond with him and he told her that after what Samuel did he believed that the money should be hers because Samuel did not protect her and Thomas against his 2nd wife.   
Buckley's of Madeley Shropshire, Rochdale, Oldham Cheshire, Bulkeley's of Cheshire and Beaumaris Anglesey Wales Stanton, Turner, Taylor, Peabody. Woodall, Perkin, Wadsworth, Whittaker.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 June 14 18:23 BST (UK) »
The entry I found was for Administration, not Probate, so there wasnt a Will for that person.

I only picked it out as being Dudley, because you had said he had moved to Dudley!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk