Author Topic: James Reburn- Fordyce  (Read 8155 times)

Offline AlanZed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Reburn- Fordyce
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 July 14 12:34 BST (UK) »
Elspet Raeburn/Riddoch is not a name I recognise and isn't (as far as I know part of my Raeburn family).  Alanzed.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 July 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Noticing that the unusual (in Scotland) given name Henry features in your Raeburn family, I am wondering whether there is a possible connection to the famous portrait painter Sir Henry Raeburn?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
Re James RIDDOCH & Elspet RAEBURN, their dau's marriage of 20 Mar 1851 states:  that she, Jannet Riddoch, was "lawful daughter of the deceased James Riddoch, crofter and the deceased Elspet Raeburn, Auchenclech".

I've found a note which states that they had a dau Margaret Riddoch born 18 Nov 1818 in Auchenclech, Rothiemay. She is still there in 1851 census age 31, with son and nephew (see FreeCEN). And indeed, Margaret and her mother Elspet (age 51) are there in 1841 (see FreeCEN) so clearly Elspet died bet 1841 and 1851 and husband James died before 1841.

I don't have a direct connection with this family group. I have a record of them only because their dau Jannet RIDDOCH's sister-in-law Jean/Jane GORDON had, we believe, at least five children, four illegitimate, one of whom was by James GORDON s/o William GORDON & Janet FYFE, one of my GORDON family groups from Keith and Grange.