Author Topic: Burnmouth of Gollachy  (Read 19442 times)

Offline Dufferoonie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burnmouth of Gollachy
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 May 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Is anyone still there?
I too have relatives from burn mouth of Gollachy.
James Symon married Marjory Munro 1753.

Any connections?

Ches Susan

Offline Kewakefield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 May 13 17:25 BST (UK) »
Susan,
The posters on this thread are related to George Munro (1834-1908) who lived in what was called the 'Salmon Cottage' at the Burnmouth of Gollachy. George Munro was the son of David Munro (1801-1860) who lived in Fordyce. I don't have much after this ... just possible names of parents and grand parents but no other info. Marjory could have been related to them. Do you have the name of Marjory's parents?

Karen

Offline Dufferoonie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 May 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

No joy with the parents of Marjory. She is as far as I go but I do have her husband's parents but of course that is of no use at present. Marjory's daughter was called Mary B1769 and she married John Garden of Rannachie Farm Rathven.

Will do some more searching as see what I can find.

Thanks for the reply

Susan

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 May 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
I had a wander down past the Salmon Bothy yesterday and had a look across the road at the "stroopy wal". I seem to remember when it was still working, but it looks as though there hasn't been any water coming out for probably 20-25 years now. Anyway, above the well there's a stone "In memory of ? Munro..." I couldn't make out the first name (looked like Deirdre) or the rest of the inscription, as it was too sunny, but I thought some of you might be interested!
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline Kewakefield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 May 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
I remember a mention of that memorial wall above the cottage by someone. I've been digging through my emails to see if I can find it. I don't recall a Deidre Munro. I wonder if it was 'David'. If you ever get a chance, could you take a photo and send it to me. If I can find the info someone provided, I'll respond back.

Karen

Offline Dufferoonie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 May 13 22:32 BST (UK) »
Happy to be kept in the loop re Munroes as there must be a connection as we appear to be talking about the exact piece of ground!

Susan

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I have visited the area last week on an ancestor hunt holiday in Scotland. I have a pic of the stone and the wording is as follows.
In memory of George Munro who introduced water in 1884. All who thirst may drink while it runs.
WM children of George and Ann Munro. It was erected by George's son Willie who lived in the cottage with his family after his fathers death i.e.. from 1908 to 1950 when he himself died at Elgin hospital.
The stone is less cared for now and rather covered in grass. It is opposite the cottage on the other side of the road.
cheers
Jim
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Offline Kewakefield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 June 13 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for a photo of the stone. I wonder how long it has been there ... say about 100 years? While worn, it is still fascinating.

I hope you had a good trip and that you picked up some new information on the family history. I hope some day to make the trip myself.

Looking forward to hearing what you uncovered.

All the best,

Karen

Offline walkerac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I know its a while since there were posts in this thread, I have just joined this site after a google search brought up the thread. I was searching for Burn Mouth Gollachy. My Great Grandmother was Elsie Ann Munro (b 22 Feb 1867). I see there are a number of posts about photos of the cottage where the Munro's lived and a lot of other information. I would be very keen to make contact with anyone with more information.

Andrew