Author Topic: Frustrating lack of online Gloucestershire Parish Records.  (Read 27266 times)

Offline fionagayther

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating lack of online Gloucestershire Parish Records.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor

Thanks so much.  What other cemeteries are there around Stonehouse that I could check, just in case she's not buried at St Cyr's?

Regards

Fiona
Ferguson (India)
Scott (Leeds, India)
Beck (Isleworth, Greenwich)
Hotz (India)
Wilkinson (Liverpool, India)
Warr (Dorset)
Bishop (Somerset)
Isaacs (London, Dorset)
Humphreys (Glamorgan, Cheshire, India)
Connor (Ireland, South Africa)
Patrick (Wiltshire)
Larkin,
Rifle Brigade
6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
The only other possibility that I can think of is St Lawrence, Stroud, and I'll check there if I don't find the burial at St Cyr, Stonehouse.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 March 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
Re: Charlotte DUNCAN, d.1912 Stroud 6a 337 Sep Qtr, aged 75
I have checked the St Cyr, Stonehouse, Burial records and there is NO trace of Charlotte's burial.
I also checked the St Laurence, Stroud, Burial records for 1912, but these are still held at the parish church.
Please see my PM (private message) for contact details.
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline fionagayther

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 March 14 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor

Thanks so much for your efforts.  I will contact the PCC and see what she has to say.  I suppose it it entirely possible that she was buried elsewhere as she was not originally from the Stroud/Stonehouse area.  It would have been nice to have "closed off" on Charlotte as she had a pretty eventful life that took her from Hampshire to Malta, India, London.  Her first husband married her bigamously in Malta, but that's another story.  Again, many thanks.

Regards

Fiona
Ferguson (India)
Scott (Leeds, India)
Hotz (India)
Warr (Dorset)
Bishop (Somerset)
Isaacs (London, Dorset)
Patrick (Wiltshire)
Larkin,
Rifle Brigade

Offline fionagayther

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 March 14 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor

After your email I wracked my brains and then wondered if she had been buried in Surrey with her husband, James, who died in 1902.  This proved to be the case and I found her burial record in Richmond in the same grave as James.  Thanks again for your efforts and apologies for not using my brain earlier!

Kind regards

Fiona
Ferguson (India)
Scott (Leeds, India)
Hotz (India)
Warr (Dorset)
Bishop (Somerset)
Isaacs (London, Dorset)
Patrick (Wiltshire)
Larkin,
Rifle Brigade

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 March 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
My husband has many villages in Gloucestershire which are in his family history.A few years ago I was quite envious of all the records he found on line away from the paid sites.I find very often if you google parish registers and the village name you may be lucky.I was surprised therefore when you say so few records.by using the villages as a starter point you often get directed to other sites like ukga.org and I can remember at one time quite a few Pallot registers were on line and you turned the pages of the actual register.Itmight. Have been a site called Archive.org.
 Also googling a village with a surname and the word genealogy gives you new areas to look at
It is a case of looking sideways and perhaps not worry too much about the paid sites although they help.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 30 March 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/

I get error Under Construction

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline reezam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 May 14 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am a member of both Glos Family History Society (GFHS) and Glos Archives (GA) and do volunteer lookups for anyone on RootsChat.
Just post your data request.
Victor
Hi Victor
My ancestor who called himself William Walkley, was apparently born 1849 in Rodborough although I cannot find direct evidence of this. He sailed to Sydney on the 'Eastern Empire' in 1862 at age 12 with his mother Eliza Pearce then 41, elder brother thomas 14 and younger sister Mary 10 and all were registered in the immigration records as hailing from Chalford. His death certificate (in Sydney) cites his mother, Eliza Pearce, only. I cannot discover from online sources who his father was. There does not appear to have been a marriage although there seem to be lots of William Walkleys around Stonehouse, Stroud etc at that time. Suspecting an illegitimate family for poor old Eliza that she finally decided to take away to Australia (where I am) but would be grateful for any help you could provide to confirm this.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 May 14 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Welcome to RootsChat.
I have checked the Gloucestershire BMD Indexes, http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/, and there is NO sign of births for William, Thomas or Mary.
I am, therefore, unable to locate their mother's maiden name or the preceding marriage.
Victor