Author Topic: COCKCROFT; Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall, Bingley, Halifax.  (Read 4258 times)

Offline LouieMajor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COCKCROFT; Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall, Bingley, Halifax.
« on: Monday 28 January 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
To Cindy (tcrengr); Dave (dobfarm); Sandra Bills.
I am a newbie on this site, led to it through your useful exchanges in 'where are they buried' a thread that now is closed.
Several years ago I researched Matthew Cockcroft, his ancestors in Yorkshire and descendants in Ireland. I should like to discuss these findings here or by email and compare them with your own discoveries about this extensive family.
M.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: COCKCROFT; Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall, Bingley, Halifax.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

You could still add to the topic and perhaps tcrengr will come back to it  ;D  Notice they were last online Saturday January 19th so will send them a message incase the notification is turned off, to point them towards this thread.

All the best
Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LouieMajor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
Thank you for your helpful welcome. I'll try and summarize what I earlier sifted from various like-named possibilities in succeeding generations going back from Matthew.
Matthew Cockcroft  c. 18/4/1762  Illingworth, father Joshua C.
Isaac C.  c. 30/1/1759 Illingworth, father Joshua C — Isaac was brother of Matthew?
Isaac C. m?1. Betty Clayton 13/8/1792 Halifax.
Isaac C. m?2. Hannah Elliot 14/11/1813 Halifax.
Joshua C. b. 1731 father John Cockcroft2
Joshua C. m. Mary Pickles 24/11/1757 at Halifax.
Mary Pickles c. 1732 Halifax
John C2. c. 6/6/1711 Heptonstall, father John C1. mother Susannah Sutcliffe.
John C1. m. Susannah Sutcliffe d. of Henry S.  of Haworth 20/5/1700
?? Johes2 C. m. Maria Marshall 16/2/1684 Heptonstall
??? Johes1 C. m. Martha Normanton 11/8/1664  Heptonstall
???Henry C.  c. 27/2/1582 Halifax,  father John Cockcroft mother Eliz. Northend.
Henry C. m. Mary Wade Halifax 1627

I think this broadly supports your suggestions of 31/5/2010, with which it can perhaps be reconciled.
All up for discussion of course.
M.

Offline tcrengr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Louie Major,

I'm so excited to hear of your interest in the Cockcroft family of Ireland.  I think I've uncovered strong evidence that my line of Cockcrofts hail from Ovenden, England.  The earliest relative that we have learned of through family legend, is Matthew Cockcroft, who supposedly came from England to Ireland in the late 1790s as a member of the York Fencibles.  I've uncovered a birth record for him in Ovenden, a marriage certificate to a woman named Hannah Farnell and a court paper in which Hannah states that her husband is a soldier who has been serving in Ireland for three years. 

The Matthew who I think is my relative was born in 1762 to a Joshua.  I believe his mother was Betty Rothney, because his only sister is named Betty and there is a marriage certificate for them.  He also had a brother named Isaac, however, I've come to find out that Isaac died as a child.  I now think the Isaac who served alongside Matthew in Ireland is his cousin.  (It appears as though Joshua had a brother, who was born in 1732 and is also named Matthew.  That brother had a son named Isaac.)

Thanks to one of Sandra's posts, I believe we've identified the grave of Matthew's father, Joshua, his sister Betty (listed as Patty in the inscription) as well as a previously unknown brother named Thomas.  If you look at grave 250 and 251 in Sandra's "where are they buried" post, you'll see what I mean. 

Based on the info from the grave stones and some of the family trees on Ancestry.com, I think the family tree for my branch goes something like this:

1st generation:  Jonathan - born 1636 - married Judith Briggs
2nd generation:  John - born 1662 in Ovenden - married a woman named Mary - he died in 1717 and is buried in grave 250
3rd generation:  John - can't find his birth record but he married a Sarah (1696-1765) who is also buried in grave 250 - there is a relocation order for the family on line at the yorkshire historical society's website.
4th generation:  Joshua born 1731 - married either Betty Rothney or Mary Pickles, could have been both if Betty died shortly after marriage
5th generation:  Matthew born 1762 - married Hannah Farnell and had 5 children - Jacob - 1786, Sarah - 1788, Betty - 1790, John - 1792, and Sally - 1793

Matthew probably went to Ireland around 1794 or 1795.  Hannah had another child back in England with another man, so there may have been a divorce.  Matthew remarried in Ireland and had either 2 or 3 children...Robert, Matilda, and possibly a Jane. 

I'm sorry I've gone on and on.....  I hope the above information is correct, but there are a few gaps and there could possibly be errors.  I'd love to learn more about your Cockcroft family!

Cockcroft, Cockcraft - East and West Yorkshire
Pearson - York area
Major - Darlington area

Offline LouieMajor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 13 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cindy
I am quite certain we are talking about the same Matthew Cockcroft who went to Newtownards with the Yorkshire Fencibles at the time of the 1798 rebellion. Your info about Hannah Farnell is very interesting. Going back from that date it seems we agree that Matthew's father was Joshua Cockcroft b. 1731. Beyond that I was uncertain which of the possible John Cockcrofts was our ancestor, so I value your opinion on this point.
I am descended from Matthew through his son Robert 1 Cockcroft, his son Robert 2 Cockcroft and his son Robert 3 Cockcroft (1868 - 1951). I have extensive information about all Matthew's known descendants in Ireland, amongst whom I assume you are numbered.  Rather than repeat here what you already know about them, perhaps direct message or email discussion would be more productive?
regards
(son of) LMC

Offline Martin Cockroft

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 14 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
Thank you for your helpful welcome. I'll try and summarize what I earlier sifted from various like-named possibilities in succeeding generations going back from Matthew.
Matthew Cockcroft  c. 18/4/1762  Illingworth, father Joshua C.
Isaac C.  c. 30/1/1759 Illingworth, father Joshua C — Isaac was brother of Matthew?
Isaac C. m?1. Betty Clayton 13/8/1792 Halifax.
Isaac C. m?2. Hannah Elliot 14/11/1813 Halifax.
Joshua C. b. 1731 father John Cockcroft2
Joshua C. m. Mary Pickles 24/11/1757 at Halifax.
Mary Pickles c. 1732 Halifax
John C2. c. 6/6/1711 Heptonstall, father John C1. mother Susannah Sutcliffe.
John C1. m. Susannah Sutcliffe d. of Henry S.  of Haworth 20/5/1700
?? Johes2 C. m. Maria Marshall 16/2/1684 Heptonstall
??? Johes1 C. m. Martha Normanton 11/8/1664  Heptonstall
???Henry C.  c. 27/2/1582 Halifax,  father John Cockcroft mother Eliz. Northend.
Henry C. m. Mary Wade Halifax 1627

I think this broadly supports your suggestions of 31/5/2010, with which it can perhaps be reconciled.
All up for discussion of course.
M./quote]

Offline sandra Bee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 April 14 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi There,
Most intriguing reading of your Matthew Cockroft and Ireland connections. I moved just over 12 months ago so not been on as busy settling into my new home. If I can help with any information or what I have found so far on my extensive Cockroft family will gladly do so.
Sandra Bills.