Author Topic: Stuck! John and Hannah Fletcher in Barnsley, c. 1800  (Read 865 times)

Offline Patrick Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stuck! John and Hannah Fletcher in Barnsley, c. 1800
« on: Wednesday 16 April 14 01:21 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall in my ancestry research. My ggg-grandfather is George Michael Fletcher, b. 19 Feb 1814 in Barnsley to John and Hannah Fletcher (based on parish register at St. Mary the Virgin). I have found 2 other children born to John and Hannah:
John Fletcher (b. 1817)
Hannah Mariah (christened 25 Dec 1831)
However, I have no idea who my mystery John and Hannah Fletcher were or whether they were from Barnsley.
Based on the dates of the children and normal childbearing years, Hannah probably would have been born around 1785-95. I guess John could have been older, so his age would be harder to guess. And as I said, I don't know where they were born. I can't find them in the 1841 census either.
Any help would be MOST appreciated! :-)

Patrick in Canada

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck! John and Hannah Fletcher in Barnsley, c. 1800
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat
Do the baptism entries give John's occupation?       Do you have George in later census records?   Have you looked at the burials for that church to see if any of the family appear?
It helps us to know what you have already looked at.

Offline Patrick Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck! John and Hannah Fletcher in Barnsley, c. 1800
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the welcome! This looks like an incredible forum. I'm still fairly new to the world of genealogy.
Yes, John's occupation is given on the 3 baptismal records, but on one it is basically illegible and on the other 2 it is some variation of "Ware House Man".
I definitely have found George Michael FLetcher in later census records. He spent his whole career working for the Inland Revenue Service and moved all around the UK. He married Eliza Goodwin (b. 1816), from Newark, Nottinghamshire.
Here are their kids:
- Maria Louisa (b. 7 Feb 1836, Newark upon Trent)
- George Frederick Fletcher (b. Jan 1838, Glasgow, Scotland)
- Thomas Wilde (b. Nov 1839, Paracombe Devonshire) - * my gg-grandfather
- Alfred (b. 1843, Parracombe, Devonshire)
- Frank (b. 1845, East Retford, Nottinghamshire)
- Donald (b. 1847, Oxford)
- Charles W (b. 13 Jan 1850, Oxford)

As you can see, the family moved around a lot. Also in the 1851 census, George MIchael Fletcher appears twice: once with his family, and once in a home in Lambeth where he is visiting Hannah Mariah Fletcher, a 19-year old female servant (ie, his sister).
That's pretty much all I know at this point. I have also found a small but probably significant genetic match with someone descended from a John William Fletcher (b. 1818 in Barnsley, d. 1891) but that doesn't really prove anything at this point.
I have not looked at burials yet, or, at least I haven't found any.
Thanks for any help!

Patrick