Author Topic: Alexander William Gamack  (Read 10635 times)

Offline JNMNPEA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander William Gamack
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Did you know that a tree was planted at Port Macquarie, in Nov 1980, to commemorate the 150 year anniversary of Alexander's arrival in 1830? There is also a plaque to commemorate 100 years since his death. <www.monumentaustralia.org.au> . They are in Hay Street Port Macquarie N.S.W.

The Colonial Secretary's records at the State Archives would probably mention his posting.

Offline JNMNPEA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 September 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
Just a thought.

The Port Macquarie Historical Society, which is located in the Port Macquarie Museum, 22 Clarence Street, Port Macquarie, might be of some help to you. Seeing that the memorial tree and plaque were erected in the town, they probably have plenty of information about Alexander Gamack. They would be worth a try. I have found them very helpful in the past.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this info  . . . . I will definitely follow it up.
cheers
Jilly

Offline Remorse54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Jilly, are still researching Alexander Gamack

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am actually doing this for a neighbour of mine, but yes most definitely.  Do you have anything of interest, or perhaps I might have something you need?  :P

Offline Remorse54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Jilly, yes, we may be able to help each other.  The medical doctor that arrived in Australia in approx. 1832 was in fact Alexander C Gamack. I don't know, yet, what the C stood for, but, Alexander, Willian and Campbell are common names throughout the generations. He had an older brother, William, who also moved to Australia, but much later than Alexander.  Alexander's first posting as Assistant Colonial Surgen was to the penal settlement of Norfolk Island where he spent about 10 years.  He then moved to Sydney where he had a number of other postings at Parramatta, Liverpool and Windsor.  In those days, these were all fairly remote places, but they are all now suburbs of Sydney. In about 1848 he took on the job of Colonial Surgeon in Hobart (also then part of New South Wales, I think).  I have actual dates for all these things but will need to check my papers.  Dr Gamack died in 1888 and is buried at Port Maquarie, NSW.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 January 15 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I finally have time to work on Alexander Gamack and am attaching notes I have on him which might be of interest to you.

Dr Alexander Gamack arrived in the colony of New South Wales from Scotland in 1830 aged 21 years. In November that year, he was appointed Colonial Surgeon of the Norfolk Island penal colony where he remained until his return to the mainland in 1836.

After a very successful career, Dr Gamack became Surgeon-General at the Port Macquarie penal settlement and following a stint in the Windsor-Parramatta area, he returned to Port Macquarie to retire and graze cattle until his death in 1888. He had two wives; Anna Cox nee Blachford (widow of William Cox who built the first road over the Blue Mountains), and Susan O’Loughlin. Anna bore him one son, John Alexander Gamack (father of Marie’s mother Kathleen), and Susan bore him three sons and two daughters.

Dr Alexander Gamack and his family were residing in Parramatta when the following article appeared in the Maitland Mercury in 1850.......

" On Tuesday morning last, during the violence of the tempest, electric fluid entered the dwelling house of Dr Gamack. The description of the circumstance by the in-mates is as follows: A ball of brilliant fire, about the size of a cricket ball entered the kitchen, where two men and a woman servant were occupied - the woman was thrown to a distance, and lost the power of speech; the men were also thrown from their places, gasping for breath. The ball of fire played and flickered under the table for a perceptible space of time, clearing the stove dust off the floor, then made its exit out of the kitchen, round to the window of the breakfast room, where the doctor and Mrs Gamack with their son, a lad of eleven years of years of age, were sitting; the fluid here exploded with an awful crack - the boy was sent from the table to a corner of the room, and Mrs Gamack was thrown violently back into her chair. The doctor received a blow on the right side of the chest; the table shook so much that one of the breakfast cups turned completely upside down; and the poor boy, who was struck speechless, when finally recovered his breath, shrieked most piteously. The family remained ill all day, especially the doctor. The postman, who was passing the house at the time, felt the shock, for his horse trembled under him. The family of Captain Chilcott, who reside near the spot, describe the shock to have been as if the house would burst asunder."

Is there anything specific you are looking for?

Offline Remorse54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 January 15 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jilly.  Sorry for the delay in replying. Do you know how to find or see the attachments you mention?

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 January 15 04:22 GMT (UK) »
GAMACK, Alexander Dr
Marriage
Spouse: COX, Anna
Date: 7 Dec 1837
Place: St Matthews C of E
Windsor NSW
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland