Author Topic: DAVIDSON, Jane/Jean and FULLERTON Alexander m. 1837 Old Machar*** Completed  (Read 8344 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIDSON, Jane/Jean and FULLERTON Alexander m. 1837 Old Machar
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 May 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

These Davidsons are on my mother's side and are no way related to the couple who marry in Brechin in 1803 - they are from my father's side. Jane Davidson's son William Fullerton 'marries' Jessie Cochrane.  MonicaL helped me sort that puzzle on the thread below.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670693

I've attached a clip from a page of Ellon birth records.  NP appears after each man's name on the page except for one man - after his name it lists crofter. I thought maybe 'no property'?

Since Flst's suggestion re the birth records I've made significant progress with George Davidson. I found a Margaret Simpson and George Davidson marriage in Ellon for 1767 at Familysearch so then had to have a look at the death certificate at SP for the George who died in 1857.   

Thankfully old George stayed put at Bairnshall Lane until 1857 so it's the correct George Davidson (Blacksmith) son Alexander signs the cert and above couple confirmed as his parents. It helpfully gives Alexander's address as 13 Peacocks Close, Aberdeen. I've yet to find Alexander on other than the 41 census (pretty sure it's him in Aberdeen with wife Margaret and son George 2 and daughters Isabel 3 and Jane 1m).

Still struggling to make the Baird/Brown connections on the 1809 Ellon marriage for George and Isabella Marr. The Barbara Davidson and Alexander Baird marriage didn't happen till 1812 and I'm pretty sure she is from Peterhead not Ellon. On SP all the Davidson/Baird marriages don't include an Alexander outside the one already mentioned. I've noticed on the old Ellon records the same men are showing up as witnesses at multiple births of different couples. For instance a George Ougstoun is witness to three births on the page showing the birth of George Davidson (Snr) in 1743 including George's.

Whew...recap - Jane's father is confirmed as George Davidson born Ellon, son of George Davidson and Margaret Simpson who marry Ellon in 1767. I think this latter George was born in 1743 to yet another George Davidson of Ellon. Added to this I now have the Alexander Fullerton/Margaret Milne family more or less sorted and I know the names of both their fathers. 

Now definitely going to leave off the family history - only 49 days till my open garden days...yikes!

Thanks everyone.
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 May 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
I've attached a clip from a page of Ellon birth records.  NP appears after each man's name on the page except for one man - after his name it lists crofter. I thought maybe 'no property'?

Ah. Your first mention said it was marriage records. Unfortunately the clip you attached is only half of the entry and doesn't include the NP! Also, the year (if mentioned) is not included.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 May 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry Forfarian I had so many new records in front me I listed the wrong one re the 'NP'.  This clip is from the page containing Jean Davidson's birth 1814 in Tyrie.

I can see a scroll bar so can view the whole clip perhaps that is not working on your computer? I now see it says 'in' N.P. Must change these specs or stop potting on while next to the computer!

Jen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 May 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes, I see the scroll bar now.

As it is Tyrie, I am willing to bet that 'N P' is short for 'New Pitsligo'.

New Pitsligo is the biggest settlement in the parish of Tyrie, give or take a few of the many disjunctions and suppressions that the parish seems to have undergone in the 18th and 19th centuries. New Pitsligo was founded by Sir William Forbes of Pitsligo in 1787, one of the many new planned villages associated with the Scottish Enlightenment between about 1750 and 1850.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ8855
and http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ8856
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 May 14 11:15 BST (UK) »
It's taken me all morning to get my head around the places George and Isabella are associated with as I was totally unfamiliar with these parishes. George was born in the parish of Ellon and that is where he and Isabella got married in 1809 - she is from the parish of Tyrie. George's father was born in 1743 at Turnerhall a short distance from the village of Ellon. George's father was a 'tacksman' of Lime Quarries - but I can see no evidence of a lime quarry in Ellon.   

After their marriage George and Isabella move to the parish of Tyrie and probably to the village of New Pitsligo.  Having read the statistical accounts of both these parishes I think at that time I'd be off like a shot to New Pitsligo!  Wish I could have met the Rev William Fraser who wrote the Tyrie account 1791-99 not many quote Pliny in their accounts!

Jen

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIDSON, George and SIMPSON, Margaret
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 May 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
This is from the Ellon 1769 page I have for an unrelated family surname.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 May 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Breaky for for posting this clip.  I can see they are living at Little Arnage  :)- this is very close to Turnerhill where I think George (married to Margaret Simpson) was born in 1743.  The witnesses to his birth are both living in Little Arnage.
Jen

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
March 3rd 1769 Ellon
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 May 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
(Just in case there is a link), on the same page in 1769, on March 3rd this time, a 'William Davidson in Mains of Arnage had twins baptised by the names of Elspet and Margaret.  Witnesses John Gray and William Arthur'.  (No wife's name is given).   

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 May 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Breaky, I've made a note of this. There would appear to be (at least) four Davidson men registering births in Ellon from the late 1750s to the late 1760s.  I can see the same names repeating through the generations. I really am delighted at being able to confirm Jane's parental grandparents - this was way beyond any expectation I had when making this post.
Thanks
Jen

PS
I found 'The Book of Ellon' online - some very interesting reading about the origin of place names and about the geology or the area. 

https://archive.org/details/bookellon00mccogoog