Author Topic: The Seaton family, Stilton, Huntingdonshire  (Read 4537 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Seaton family, Stilton, Huntingdonshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 May 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
It would be interesting to ask these other researchers when and where Francis Seaton allegedly married Sarah Cole. There's no such marriage on Hunts Marriage Index, so it wasn't in Hunts. As a general rule, don't rely on what other people tell you, or what other people show in Ancestry trees. Use it as a guide only and then verify any information yourself from original records. Take the alleged marriage. I've no idea where it comes from. Possibly someone has looked at one of the sons, Richard Cole Seaton and assumed the mother's maiden name was Cole. But without the marriage it's just idle speculation.

What concerns me about the 1783 marriage is that Margaret only found one child baptised before 1800, in 1795, then a whole raft of them from 1803 to 1819. If it's the right marriage in 1783 then Sarah was having children for 36 years after the marriage, which I think is unlikely. If she married at 16 her last child would have been born when she was 52. Unlikely. So perhaps there is something in the Sarah Cole story. The IGI at www.familysearch.org has a marriage in Langham, Rutland between Francis Seaton and Sarah Cole on 28 mar 1798. It might be two separate Francis Seatons, or a second marriage for the first Francis. But you need to prove that all these children baptised in Stilton, Hunts are offspring of the Rutland couple.

What you get from the microfiches are transcripts of the parish registers. Pre 1837 what you're likely to find is
Baptisms: name, names of parents (but not maiden name of mother) occupation of father; abode
Marriages: names of both parties; parish of residence at the time of the marriage, perhaps occupation of the groom, marital status, names of the witnesses
Burials: name, age after 1812, perhaps occupation; for a woman "wife of xxxx" or "widow"; for a child perhaps the names of the parents

Sometimes the vicar will add a bit more detail.

A good place to learn about parish registers is https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/England_Church_Records#Christenings_.28Baptisms.29

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Jacquelinemercer1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 May 13 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you both (I hope you both see my reply!) - you are both being most helpful.  As you can tell I really am a novice at this - I think I did well to find my great great grandfather as most of the period I know about for sure is the late 1880's and it was only from purchasing certificates etc. that I have been able to go as far as I have - from occupations detailed on certificates and a cousin passing on snippets she had found.

Anyŵay I am going to have a good perusal of what you have given me, have another look at the 1841 census for the area to see what more it could tell me and see what marries up with what I already have.  As you say it is important to source the information and decide for yourself what is fact etc. for your line of ancestors.

I cannot thank you enough for all your help today - it really is appreciated.  I cannot wait to have the time later to look into all the info in more depth.

From what you are able to see is there looking to be only 1 Seaton family living in Stilton at the end of the 1790's, and not two that I have been told (I think the other family on census may have Peterborough on their place of birth and not Stilton (as mine do).  I apologise if I am not always very clear on what I am trying to say (!) I think my thought process is faster than what I can type!

Jackie

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 May 13 13:44 BST (UK) »
In 1861 living in Stilton was Sarah Seaton widow 85 born Langham. I'm convinced!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock