Author Topic: Thomas Gorrian b~1835 Newry, Ireland  (Read 6284 times)

Offline ledavi01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Gorrian b~1835 Newry, Ireland
« on: Monday 14 September 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
Seeking info on my husbands gr-gr-gr-grandfather Thomas Gorrian and his parents / siblings.  According to his marriage certificate he was born in May 1835, in Newry.  He married Mary Dailey from Strabane, in Lennoxtown, Stirlingshire, Scotland.

On his marriage cert his parents are listed as Hugh Gorrian & Jane Murphy, however on his death cert they are Thomas Gorrian and Bridget Kerr!!!!

Hope someone can help - I have hit a brick wall!

Lesley
Conroy/Malady - Roscommon, Irl -> Lanc, Eng -> Dunb, Sco.
Ainsworth/Kidd - Lanc, Eng.
McCann/McKee/Meechan/McGrorty/Dunn/Taggart/Leslie/Devlin/Docherty - Irl ->  Dunb, Sco / Stir, Sco
Rice/Gorrian - Co Down, Irl -> Stir, Sco & Dunb, Sco
Simpson - Irl -> Lan, Sco -> Dunb, Sco
Johnstone - Irl -> Ayrshire, Sco -> Dunb, Sco
Curran - Stir, Sco
O'Brien - Irl -> Edi, Sco -> Dunb, Sco

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gorrian b~1835 Newry, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
 the spelling is special, turning up in familysearch as a firm surname more in scotland than ireland. more dates needed to help further
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline ledavi01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
No problem:

THOMAS GORRIAN was born in May 1835 in Newry, County Down, Ireland to Hugh
Gorrian and Jane Murphy. He was recorded in the census in 1851, aged about 16, in Main Street, Kilsyth, Stirlingshire.  He was recorded in the census in 1861, aged about 26, in Main Street, Kilsyth, Stirlingshire. He was recorded in the census in 1871, aged about 36, in Auchinstarry, Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire, Scotland. Thomas died (Pneumonia (14 days)) on 11 April 1880, aged 44, in Westport, Kilsyth.

MARY DALY (Thomas's wife) was born in December 1834 in Strabane, County Tyrone, Ireland to Philip Dailly and Marjory Kelly. She was recorded in the census in 1861, aged about 26, in Main Street, Kilsyth, Stirlingshire, Scotland. She was recorded in the census in 1871, aged about 36, in Auchinstarry, Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire, Scotland. Mary died (Inflammation (8 days)) on 9 November 1874, aged 39, in Main Street, Kilsyth, Stirlingshire, Scotland.

Thomas Gorrian, aged 20, married Mary Daly, aged 20, on 8 September 1855 in St Pauls Catholic Church,
Lennoxtown, Stirlingshire, Scotland. They had ten children, and assumed parenthood of another one:

Hugh Gorrian in 1856
Timothy Dansey by adoption
Mary Gorrian in 1858
John Gorrian in 1860
Helen Gorrian in 1862
Helen Elizabeth Gorrian in 1863
Thomas Gorrian  in 1866
Susan Gorrian about 1870
Philip Gorrian about 1872
Jane Gorrian about 1874
Jane Gorrian about 1877

I have exact dob for some of the children too.

Hope this helps

Lesley
McCann/McKee/Meechan/McGrorty/Dunn/Taggart/Leslie/Devlin/Docherty - Irl ->  Dunb, Sco / Stir, Sco
Curran - Stir, Sco

Offline Karen85

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

I have been trying to find information on the exact same person. At least I think it is. Can you confirm if his son, also Thomas Gorrian (born 1866) married a McFarlane?

I've hit a brick wall and was wondering if you had found out anything else.

This Thomas will be my dad's gr,gr,gr grandfather.

Karen

Offline ledavi01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

Afraid not!  Although I have since discovered that there was only 1 daughter called Jane and her DOB was 11 April 1873.

Their son was Thomas born 20 May 1866 in Kilsyth.  He married however a Helen Hart in 1889 in Glasgow Blythwood.  The children that I know of are:

Thomas b 26/4/1891 Glasgow Milton
David b 1894 Cadder, Lanarkshire
Mary Sawers Gorrian b 13/2/1895, Kirkintilloch
Martyn Gorrian b 1898 Kirkintilloch

Is this your family?  Mary Gorrian b 24/4/1858 Kilsyth (Thomas Gorrian and Mary Daileys daughter) is my husbands gr-gr grandmother.

Hope this helps and if it is the same family I am happy to share info

Lesley
Curran - Stir, Sco

Offline Heather Dubreuil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »

Offline Heather Dubreuil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Lesley,

I was going through your post and it seems we have the same family I have all the same dates as you have with the same corresponding names. Thomas Gorrian and Helen Hart had another Daughter Named Jennie Gorrian married Armand Dubreuil they are my great grandparents. I would love to share some info with you.

Offline cacacocopops

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
I see from an earlier post that you were looking for info om thomas gorrian,i had a great grandfather called thomas gorrian who married a macfarlane who i think came from boness who went on to have 10 children,could this be one of the same do you think ?

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 July 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley, I had another search for Gorrians, and I'msorry to say with little success
My favourite Ros Davies’s Co Down website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies enabled me to unhappily find no Gorrian entries but led me to a
Patrick MAGORRIAN Newry sponsor at the baptism of Rose, daughter of Antony McCartan & Sarah Mullan 27 Jan 1829 at Newry Catholic Church PR

Google enabled me to find Alex Daw’s offering on O'HANLON from http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=53&p=localities.britisles.ireland.arm.general
James Gorrian m Sarah O’Hanlon with daughters Rose b 1834 Tandragee Co Armagh and mention of her sister Sarah and her Uncle Patrick Gorrian or O’Hanlon emigrating to Australia with Martha his wife and Rose.

I went back to Ros Davies lists of Co Down people looking for variant spellings where there are significant records for McCoron McGoran McGorian McGorran McGorrian McGouran McGourin McGourin McGowran Magoran Magorian Magorien Magorrian Magouran Magowan Magowran Magowran Maguryn Megoran Megorian. Thats causes a lot more searching records if you drop the Mc Ma or the Me, which I can't face!

Newry queries I have learnt to be careful as the borders between Co Armagh and Co Down are difficult see Ros davies parish map http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/NewryTownlands.htm so historically bits of Townlands can be either County ie you search co Armagh as well for surnames.

In the irish census 1911 there is a Patrick Gorrian living as a lodger in Dublin  b Co Meath but none in 1901 census

From Ros Davies churches section Possibly the best suggestion I can think of for your further encouragement
St. Patrick's and St. Colman's Catholic Cathedral
in Hill Street, Newry  Records exist for baptisms 1818- 1884 (PRONI Mic 1d/26-28) ; marriages 1820-1917; funerals 1818-1862 in PRONI; No graveyard; burials at St. Mary's in Chapel Street; gravestones Vol 21 UHF; email me for a gravestone look-up
LDS have on FHL British Film # 926087 baptisms 1818-1826; dispensations and funerals 1818-1819; funerals 1825; marriages 1820-1826; dispensations 1825-1826; financial records and funerals 1825-1827; UHF has baptisms 1818-1910 & marriages 1825-1900

From familysearch.com     John Gorrian Death 1876 Banbridge, Ireland
Birth Year (Estimated):    1816
Good luck onwards JimG

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide