Author Topic: Elliott/Fletcher Heanor & Kirkby in Ashfield  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Kiwi Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Elliott/Fletcher Heanor & Kirkby in Ashfield
« on: Friday 25 February 05 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for an Elizabeth ELLIOTT, christened 24 Sep 1809 at Heanor, had an illegitimate son Henry ELLIOTT to William FLETCHER in May 1834 at Kirkby in Ashfield and then seemed to vanish.

I can only presume she died giving birth or soon after but there was no death notice in KIA parish or Heanor. There arent any other ELLIOTT families in Heanor prior to this date so expect they were migrants, probably from Duffield/Horsley/Darley area. IGI records arent too good with deaths. Can anyone help or suggest anything.

As further info, Son Henry lived with William Fletcher who married another woman, Rebecca HALLIDAY in 1836, having another five children with her. William then died in 1848 aged just 36.

Dave

Offline Ellen Blackham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott/Fletcher Heanor & Kirkby in Ashfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 February 14 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave There is a marriage for a Elizabeth Elliott to a William Fletcher 1833 Kirkby, she appears to have died in 1868 at Basford.Maybe they divorced as William married Rebecca Halliday 31st July 1836. William died 2/6/1848 & Rebecca married a Levi Shooter 3rd May 1852 at Reg office Basford.
Regards
Ellen

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 February 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ellen, welcome to Roots.
There are 18 marriages at Kirkby in Ashfield in 1833, none of them for a William Fletcher and Elizabeth Elliott.Where did you find the information?
Baptism Kirkby...
1 June 1834 Henry son of Elizabeth Elliott abode Kirkby , notes Illegitimate.

Divorce in the 1830's?? Not likely.
Plus if they married in 1833, her son born 1834 would not be listed under his mothers maiden name and illegitimate.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 February 14 03:37 GMT (UK) »
How certain are you that William Fletcher was the father of Henry??

1841 census shows
Kirkby in Ashfield Notts
John Holiday 51 FWK no
William Fletcher 29 ag lab Yes
Rebecca 24 yes
John 3 yes
James 1 yes
Henry Elliot 7 yes
HO107 858 4 16 27

unfortunately 1841 census does not give relationships

who does Henry name as his father on his marriage cert?

It seems Elizabeth Elliot had a sister Ann who was baptised at St Lawrence heanor1812

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiwi Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help and apologies for slackness in replying.
I have found Elizabeth now baptised in Pinxton. I wouldn't have usually given her a high probability of being the right Elizabeth as she was older than William Fletcher by some way - she was about 40 and he was 22 - but in a  stroke of luck, on census night in 1861, her son Henry's wife was visiting with her first grandchild. I still don't know why her son Henry didn't stay with her and she had no other children or husband. Henry did name William Fletcher as the father and the name Fletcher was given to other relatives including my grandad's brother in 1896, over 50 years since the original event.