Author Topic: Royal Irish Constabulary Look Ups  (Read 14543 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Royal Irish Constabulary Look Ups
« on: Saturday 04 February 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I have a book from the library until 25th February.
"Royal Irish Constabulary Officers. A Biographical and Genealogical Guide, 1816-1922" Author Jim Herlihy. Published Four Courts Press 2005.    I will do my best to renew it if lots of you require look ups.

I also have Police Casualties in Ireland 1919-1922 by Richard Abbott. This was published in 2000 by Mercier Press

Christopher

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Irish Constabulary Look Ups
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Christopher, saw your kind offer and of course leapt at the chance!!  ;D 

I would appreciate it so much if you would kindly see if there is information about a Laurence STRATFORD in your book.  My mother-in-law's mother was the daughter of this man, and stories circulate of his death while on duty - there is also mention of the Black-and-Tans but that could merely be to do with the time-frame which I believe was the 1920s but could be earlier.

I have checked the online index to RIC men but there is no Laurence STRATFORD listed.  This leads me to think that his first name as given by his daughter on her marriage (in 1943) is incorrect.

I'm sorry, I don't have alot more than that to go on.  I don't know whether Mr Stratford was Irish or English, or where his daughter Margaret was born, or anything else about him.   :'(

I would be interested to see what you can find, if anything - thank you so very much for the offer  :D

Kind regards
Prue

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 06 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue,

Bad news. Looked in both books. No mention of Lawrence Stratford.
I will post the names of police officers mentioned in the 1852 Directory of Belfast and Province of Ulster. It may not show Lawrence either but will possibly show one or two officers who are not mentioned in the two books.

Sorry I have been unable to assist at the moment.

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 06 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher for looking this up.  I suspect that Margaret didn't actually know what her father's first name really was.  I believe there are several members of the RIC with the surname Stratford, but whether any of them are the one I'm looking for, I have no way of knowing.

Don't suppose you have any suggestions?   ???  :D

Many thanks again

Prue

Offline Richard54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 06 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Christopher,
     Your'e like manna from heaven, i was just looking at this book on Amazon £45 plus !!! and thinking there must be another way
The man I'm looking for is David Murnane b, 1859. d 1939. He married Mary Cummins but not sure when about 1880 is my educated guess.
               Regards   Richard

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 06 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard,

This book "Royal Irish Constabulary Officers. A Biographical and Genealogical Guide, 1816-1922" by Jim Herlihy was not of much assistance to poor Prue yesterday. Your David Murnane is the second officer I have found in it today.
I have just posted a reply to a person person whose ancestors came from Co. Cork.

Jim Herlihy has David as being born in 1858 but the date of his death tallies with yours, i.e. 1939. David is burried in Co. Limerick at Cahirconlish Cemetery. Mary Cummins' name is not mentioned although Mr Herlihy discovered she came from Co. Limerick. David and Mary married on 8th March 1886.

James Peter Murnane, David and Mary's son, was bom in Co. Dublin on 27th June 1890.  His brother Michael is mentioned as being buried alongside his father. No mention is made about his date of birth but he died on 10th October 1890 the same year his brother was born. Author, Jim Herlihy probably did not search for Micheal's birth as the book is about officers in the RIC rather than their siblings.

You may find James Peter living in Cork, possibly about 1910. He was a teacher for a few months at the Christian Schools in Charleville where he was a language teacher. I wonder if this means he was at University for a while.
J.P. and his father David both rose to the rank of District Inspector. J. P. married a Londoner, Lilly McCarroll on 26th February, 1920. He was promoted to Third DI on the 23rd March 1912. This link shows uniforms of the RIC in 1903 http://www.psni.police.uk/index/pg_police_museum/pg_the_royal_irish_constabulary/pg_ric_ranks_and_uniforms.htm
James Peter Murnane retired on a pension from the RIC on 20th May 1922. His father had retired on a pension
three years previously, 31st May 1919.

All the Best, Christopher

Offline Richard54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 06 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Christopher,
                  many thanks , you have made my day :)
                             Richard

Offline Richard54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 06 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Christopher,
       just curious but did it not say when he or James joined the service?
                                 Richard

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Christopher,
       just curious but did it not say when he or James joined the service?
                                 Richard

Hello Richard,

This book did not mention the dates that David or James joined the RIC. There is another book by Jim Herlihy.
"The Royal Irish Constabulary : a complete alphabetical list of officers and men, 1816-1922" with a foreword by
W. E. Vaughan. I think this book (published in 1999) may list the dates that members of the force joined.

Best Wishes, Christopher