Author Topic: Ferguson/Nairn in Stewarton,Ayr  (Read 13808 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson/Gillespie in stewarton
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 May 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Regarding the siblings you mentioned for Jessie Ferguson, this was the family in 1901, likely there were more children after this date. Cuthbert Ferguson Snr. shows as living with them, explains why he died in Galston a few years later.

James Ferguson 40, baker
Elizabeth Ferguson 38
Jessie Ferguson 12
Mary Ferguson 7
Agnes Ferguson 4
John Ferguson 2
Cuthbert Ferguson 77, father

Address: 42 Orchard St,  Galston

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thesludge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wish the research was a tad quicker before I die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 May 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi monica, you have been very busy tonight for me. Thank you for all of your hard work and efforts, it is really realy appreciated especially when a complete novice to this. Thank you. 

In relation to the above of Janet McLellan and checking the certificate again it certainly looks correct after your efforts. i wouldnt have found this out in all honesty.

It certainly looks like i will be updating my family tree plan over the next few days now!!! As a novice to all of this, could you kindly suggest what avenue i should be taking now?? Should i go back further in time at all, or simply go through the "doglegs" of brothers/sisters????

Really sorry to be a pain and want more of your time.

Also, how could or where wouldi be able to find any photos of any of these people?

Regarding the death  of janet graham, and going to the police records, is that suggesting something untoward has happened?

I hope that i can stay in touch with you if you dont mind.
Nairn, Ferguson, Gillespie, Graham of Lanarkshire
Ross, Cole of London
Withall, Cross of London

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 May 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

RE my suggestion of the Police Archives it was regarding to trying to find Alexander Graham's service records  ;)  Police service records can carry an awful lot of personal information, just thought you might want to check them out if available to see what they contain. Nothing untoward in respect of his mother Janet!

In respect of finding photos of your ancestors it all depends whether you manage to make connections with other descendants of the family lines that may have had photos handed down to them over the years - sadly that one is down to pure luck. Be hopeful that one day you will  :)

How do you want to continue your research? People do it in a variety of ways. Some like to go back as far as they can until they really can't find any more, jumping up by parents to grandparents to ggggg's. Then go back and fill the lines with siblings and who they married and their chilrdren etc.

Other people go back stage by stage, finding out all they can about every family (siblings etc) before going back to the previous generation.

If I can give you any advice, apart from decide how you want your research to develop, it is to concentrate on one family line at a time. You do kind of get absorbed (aka obsessed  ::)) with one family group at any one time. It gets confusing if you try to do too many different lines at the same time.

You've got quite a lot of new information now. Maybe map it all out and get familiar with the names and lines before you decide.

To get the best out of RootsChat, if you get stuck on any particular line, maybe make a new posting for that particular family (if relevant add the link to this post so people don't repeat searches already done and bring to your attention something new).

People here are always ready to help when they can  :)

Monica

Offline thesludge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 May 09 07:40 BST (UK) »
ahh right i see now. Ill contact them upon my return from work later.

Ideally i do want to see how far back i can go, but you hvae opened my eys now in terms of how names can change ie gillepsie/gellespie so i think i need to be more aware  ::)

Thanks again for your help.
Ross, Cole of London
Withall, Cross of London

Offline thesludge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 August 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, I hope you are well and still about!  ;D

I have not had much tim in the last 12 months to continue with this, but i did attempt to try again a few weeks, but after our last conversation I have completely dried up in terms of finding any further information.

I was wondering if perhaps you had 5 minutes to maybe dig up something else so i can follow on forwards??

Thanks
Ross, Cole of London
Withall, Cross of London

Offline thesludge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 July 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
Monica, I today recieved an email saying their are some archives from the policeforce.I have ordered them today (10.60 each) and this is what they have said>

I have checked the name indexes to the police personnel registers and have found the following entries which would seem to match the details you provided:

Ref: SR22/55/25 no. 415, name Alexander Graham, year of birth c.1894, birthplace Crawfordjohn, year of entry to force 1920, age 25, force City of Glasgow

Ref: SR22/56/4 no.17, name Alexander Graham, year of birth c.1894, birthplace Crawfordjohn, year of entry to force 1920, age 25, force St Rollox division

Ref: SR22/56/8 no. 37, name Alexander Graham, year of birth c.1894, birthplace Crawfordjohn, year of entry to force 1920, age 25, force Southern division

Ref: SR22/56/22 no. 2710, name Alexander Graham, year of birth c.1894, birthplace Crawfordjohn, year of entry to force 1920, age 25, force City of Glasgow (Probationary
Ross, Cole of London
Withall, Cross of London

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 July 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Hope these documents arrive soon and have some info that will be useful as background for him  :)

Monica

Offline thesludge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 July 11 19:38 BST (UK) »
I hope so too!!! The link you gave me last year regarding the Nairn line has been my latest source of looking further back down the line as it were but to be honest i cannot find anything from Elizabeth Nairns side of things ie her mother and father.

Her dad was John Nairn who was a farmer and her mother was a Marianne Parker. According to it Elizabeth was baptised 15th august 1843? I cant find out when she died.

According to this, she was born about 1801 and died before 1877 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=DESC&db=spares&id=I98

Is there any way you could clarify this for me please?

I cannot find a birth marriage or death date for either of John Nairn or Marianne Parker. All i get is no results found??? ???
Ross, Cole of London
Withall, Cross of London

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 July 11 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Confused where we are at the moment  :P But that is not hard often with multiple lines and names!

Going back to your very first post, this was the line you were following:

FERGUSON

Mary Laughland married Cuthbert Ferguson april 14th 1843. I cant find anything about their parents or indeed when they were born

Mary and Cuthbert had a son called James Ferguson who married Elizabeth Gillespie. Elizabeth died in 1887 aged 83. Her father was John Gillespie and her mother was Janet Gillespie nee Horns or Horner. I have reached a dead end here.

James and Elizabeth had a daughter Jessie Miller Ferguson who would be my great grandmother.She married Alexander Graham.Alexanders dad was Andrew Graham who married to Janet Graham nee Mckillan.

Working back, we found that the Cuthbert Ferguson who married in 1843, was the son of a James Ferguson and Elizabeth Nairn. Details of the Ferguson family's 1841 census entry were included here http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=spares&id=I98

This Rootsweb link gives Elizabeth Nairn's parents as potentially a Cuthbert Nairn and an Elizabeth Cuthbertson. Not sure who John Nairn and Marianne Parker are?

Not seeing a death for an Elizabeth Nairn/Ferguson on Scotlands People post 1855. Possibility that the "death by 1877" may come from either a death or marriage of one of her children in 1877 where Elizabeth herself may have already shown as deceased.

Monica