Author Topic: Connors  (Read 3423 times)

Offline sharronjury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connors
« on: Saturday 04 January 14 06:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my great grandfather Thomas Connors. His marriage cert. says place of birth Kilkenny and his mothers name was Mary Kenny. He would have been born in about 1849 And immigrated to Australia in about 1860. I am wondering if he left Ireland on his own or with family. In Victoria Australia he married Catherine Hart whose mother was a Rigney from Kings county. Would appreciate any help.

Offline noelwcamogie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Connors
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi would you know any area or place names or any other info. I don know a keeny family in the castlecomer area of kilkenny - I'll have a root around?

Offline sharronjury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 November 14 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Noel. The only solid information I have on Thomas is that he was married in Aust in 1877. Here parents are named as John & Julia Connors. His death cert. has his mother as Mary Kenny/Kenney and that he was born in Kilkenny. It states he was 82 at the time so this takes his birth back to 1849.  Maybe Mary was his first wife who has died. I have no idea when he arrived and with whom!
Regards
Sharron

Offline noelwcamogie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 November 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
HI Sharon,
  Have you sight of both the marriage cert and death certs from victoria. the marriage cert. would indicate how long in australia when married and might also list any previous marriage and possbily home address or parish.

Noel

Offline sharronjury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 November 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noel, all certs just give Kilkenny as birthplace but you were on the dot for time in the colony. His death cert says 62 years in the colony and that was 1931 so must have arrived as a 20 year old in 1869. will now look for immigration records.
Thanks
Sharron