Author Topic: Robert Ambrose, John Ambrose, Catherine Jones, Elizabeth Pritchard, Bangor 1700  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Sukuma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have managed to trace my family line back the Ambrose family line to a John Ambrose (c1700 - 1771) who arrived in Bangor from Ireland, possibly around 1715. He married Catherine Jones and they had 8 children, Gwen, Robert, John, Mary, William, Ann and two children died very young, another Gwen and Robert . If anyone has manged to get any further than me on this, I would would like to hear from them - I know nothing about Catherine Jones, so perhaps someone else has researched the Jones family in Bangor.

I found a Church Inventory book was written in 1721 focusing on the details of Bangor Cathedral and all the church positions recorded since 1600 and a detailed listing of all the gravestones at that time (it is electronic on the internet) - unfortunately one can't do a name search on it. At that time Bangor had 70 houses and numerous coaching inns, so there can't have been many Pritchard famillies in the town.

His surviving son, my ancester, Robert Ambrose (1745 - 1837), married Elizabeth Pritchard in Bangor Nov 9, 1771. Robert, like his father, was a shoemaker, and I suspect he had a shop on Ambrose Street. I had read in Bangor Archives that the street was named after the family, though I find it a little strange that a main street should be named after a shoemaker - is that possible?

Again I don't have anything about Elizabeth Pritchard - perhaps someone has researched the Pritchard family line in Bangor?

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile

There may be something here that will help .

Ambrose, Robert, Bangor, Caernarfon, Widower/Yeoman 
Robert Ambrose : will, 1720. 
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/717753

Ambrose, William, Bangor, Caernarfon 
William Ambrose : bond, 1836
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/924545
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi
Following copied from 'Welsh Biography Online':
AMBROSE , WILLIAM  ( Emrys ; 1813 - 1873 ), Independent minister, poet, and littérateur .   Born 1 Aug. 1813 at  Bangor  , the only son of John  and Elizabeth Ambrose  . His great grandfather John Ambrose  , a bootmaker , came from Ireland to Holyhead in 1715 ; one of his sons, Robert  , became the second minister of the Baptist congregation at Bangor . Robert Ambrose  had two sons — Robert  , father of the Rev. W. R. Ambrose  of Tal-y-sarn  , and John  (father of Emrys ) — and a daughter (mother of John Ambrose Lloyd  )  . Emrys 's father was one of the earliest members of the Baptist congregation at Bangor . His mother was at one time a member of Ebenezer under Dr. Arthur Jones   , but left with others to found another church, Bethel ( 1843-55 ); she d. in 1853 . The family lived in the Penrhyn Arms Inn (which later became the first home of the University College of North Wales ) from 1813 until 1823 , and it was there that Emrys was born. He was educated first at  Friars School  and later at  Holyhead  in the school kept by W. Griffith  ( 1801 - 1881 )  .
Some time about 1828 he was apprenticed to a draper in Liverpool , where he became a member of the Tabernacle , Great Crosshall Street , of which John Breese   was the minister . In 1834 he moved to London to work in a shop in the Borough Road . He joined the Boro’ church, where he began to preach and to take a delight in writing poetry . Two years or so later he returned home with the intention of setting up in business on his own account in Liverpool . In the meantime, however, he accompanied William Williams  ( Caledfryn , 1801 - 1869)  on a preaching tour through Llyn and Eifionydd . In the course of this tour he preached at  Portmadoc  and as a result was invited to take pastoral charge of the church there for a year. He accepted the invitation, and at the end of the year, on 7 Dec. 1837 , was ordained full minister of the church, where he remained until he d. 31 Oct. 1873 . He was buried in Capel Helyg graveyard,  Llangybi  . In 1879 a memorial chapel at Portmadoc was erected in his memory.

He was a very notable personality in the Independent denomination , especially in North Wales , where he founded several churches — in particular, those of Penrhyndeudraeth , Penmorfa , Criccieth , and Beddgelert . He was also for many years the North Wales representative of the Bible Society and this brought him into close contact with other churches. He was joint editor of Y Dysgedydd from 1853 to 1873 , and it was in this periodical that his articles on the Welsh Independent Colleges were published in 1862 under the pseudonym Phineas , articles which caused considerable agitation concerning the college at Bala and resulted in the so-called ‘ War of the Two Constitutions ’ ( 1877-85 ) [see under Jones , Michael D.   ]. It was in this monthly, too, that his well-known recollections of his ministry were published.

He is given an honourable place among the poets and littérateurs of the 19th cent. He began to compete in the eisteddfodau at an early age and won many prizes, but it was in the Aberffraw eisteddfod of 1849 in the competition for the best awdl on ‘ The Creation ’ that he really came into prominence. Of the three adjudicators Eben Fardd  considered that the awdl sent in by Emrys was the best, but J. Richards  ( 1795 - 1864 )  maintained that Nicander  should be awarded the prize, and though the third adjudicator, Joseph Jones   , failed at first to agree with either of his colleagues, he later changed his mind and voted for Nicander  , who was accordingly chaired. The controversy continued to rage in the press for a long time, and it is now considered that Emrys was unfairly treated. His poetical works include some pieces which have earned a permanent place in our literature, among them being some hymns. A volume entitled Gweithiau y Parch. W. Ambrose (a selection of his sermons) was published in Dolgelley ( 1875 ). Later, in 1876 , two more volumes were published under the editorship of Gwilym Hiraethog  , namely, Gweithiau Rhyddieithol y Parch. William Ambrose, Porthmadog , and Ceinion Emrys . There is a volume Emrys in the series ‘ Cyfres y Fil .’

Emyr

Offline Sukuma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wilcoxon - thankyou. I had spotted the wills on line, however your message encouraged me to look into them further.

The first, Robert Ambrose, 1720, a widower, refers to a brother William. He also refers to a couple of other Ambrose, but I can't read the names nor do I know what relatives they are which is unfortunate. I can't see a reference to a John Ambrose, however part of the parchment is missing, right above the reference to his brother, so it is possible that John was mentioned in the missing section.

My ancester, John Ambrose, had his first child in 1730, therefore assuming he married around age 25 years, he would have been something like 15 when Robert wrote his will. It is possible either William or Robert could have been his father or a completely different family.

John, William and Robert are names that appear in practically every generation and in some cases, a child had two of the three names, so that matches (it goes down to my uncle today who is John Ambrose (2nd name)  ......).

The will lists all the items to be inherited, really interesting to see that, though I have trouble reading it. It included 4 cows, a bull and a horse.

I have also read that John was born in Ireland and travelled to Bangor in 1715, so he must have been a child when he arrived. If Robert, who could have been John's father or an uncle, had come over at the same time, would he have had all the animals 5 years later? Though thinking about it, he is referred to as a yeoman, so I am not sure that means. The will also refers to a weak body, yet sound mind, that suggests he was of age when the the will was written, though it could be that he was ill.

I am not so sure about the 2nd one, I am unable to see it sufficiently :(

Doesn't give the answers unfortunately, just another piece of the puzzle  :)

Offline Sukuma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
EmyrBorth - Thankyou. William Ambrose you spotted was my ancestor's nephew (Catherine - referred to in the posted text as "the mother of John Ambrose Lloyd"). I have been fortunate enough to be able to trace back as far back as the 1700s because of this - been an exciting journey.