Author Topic: Monaghan Townlands  (Read 24089 times)

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan Townlands
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 January 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of 'Landscapes of South Ulster' which I ordered when first published and agree with all Jack says but to save possible confusion it is worth pointing out that the maps actually are of the Catholic parishes which occasionally differ from the civil parishes. For instance, Inniskeen consists of the whole of the civil parish of Inishkeen (note even the spelling is different) including seven townland in Co Louth, and a large part of the civil parish of Donaghmoyne.

The poet Patrick Kavanagh was a native of Mucker, a townland in the civil parish of Donaghmoyne but in the Catholic parish of Inniskeen as shown in the book.

J.T.A.

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 March 10 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Each Parish is listed separately & includes its townland maps, shows the position of Churches, major towns, villages etc.  Without this resource is is useless trying to do Family History.  "Landscapes of South Ulster"  now out of print, a most essential book contains all this data including a History of each Parish.  One of the most useful parts is the "alternative townlands" list which usually anglicizes the old Irish Townland names.   Some Churches used almost exclusively the "alternative names". I cannot list my e-mail address here so if you visit all the Genealogy Websites you will see my e-mail address.  I will copy the Parishes you require and send them to you.   

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 April 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone point me to a map of Mongahan townlands, specifically those of Donagh & Errigal Trough parishes?

The best map I've located is the Griffiths info at AskAboutIreland, but I was hoping for something easier to use.  Otherwise, all I've found are simple lists. 

Any help gratefully received.

If you haven't already contacted him, I can recommend Jackstorey's Monaghan maps. I had the same problem as you with the askaboutireland maps. They are a great resource, but you need to know which part of the map you need to zoom onto.

Jack emailed me copies of Monaghand Townlands and I easily found the ones I wanted. I was able to go back to askaboutireland and found what wanted straight away!

Angela

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 April 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, Jack was kind enough to do this for me as well.

Offline pekellyco

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 February 13 05:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand what Jack Storey is indicating in how to find his e-mail address.  I want to ask him for a copy of the Ralaghan map as I have traced my family to that townland.

Offline trigger happy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 February 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand what Jack Storey is indicating in how to find his e-mail address.  I want to ask him for a copy of the Ralaghan map as I have traced my family to that townland.

Ralaghan can be  found easily using google maps. Then using the online ordinance survey maps at osi.ie you can see the location in the historical maps down to building level. I used the 6inch color view.