Author Topic: Monaghan Workhouse records  (Read 34704 times)

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monaghan Workhouse records
« on: Monday 12 July 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the records of the Castleblayney, Carrickmacross, Clones and Monaghan workhouses.

In July 1848 my gg grandmother, Mary Martin, (aged 14) was a famine orphan residing in a workhouse.  She was selected to travel to South Australia on the ship Roman Emperor which departed from Plymouth on 27 July 1848.

The girls on the Roman Emperor were from a number of Workhouses, including these 4 in Co Monaghan.

I am trying to find out if documents exist that might identify the girls selected for the scheme. 

In particular, I am looking for :

1. indoor admissions and discharge register of each Workhouse to see if a group of young women left the Workhouse in July 1848;

2. Minute Books of each Workhouse recording the names of the girls assisted to emigrate.

Are any of these records available on line?  Or is there any sort of look up service?

Thank you for your assistance.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan Workhouse records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 July 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This site could help.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 July 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sharon, I had a look at this site, and there is certainly a lot of really useful information there.  But I couldn't find any link to the sort of source documents that I think I need. 

I am not even sure where the records I am looking for would be - if they would be centralised or still in the individual towns, or of course if they exist.

It's hard doing this by long distance!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 July 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
If you go to the Workhouse site given about and follow the links to Workhouse Locations > Irish > Co. Monaghan and then the individual workhouses you will see lots of information, including Records (in the case of Clones- Monaghan County Library).
The Workhouse link is also in MONAGHAN RESOURCES, LINKS, ETC. at the top of this board.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   In the case of Limavady workhouse, Co. Londonderry, I found the lists of the girls from there who were also on board the Roman Emperor in the Master's Jurnal and in the Minutes of the Guardians. In my case these records were held in the Public Record Office N. Ireland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Workhouses
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 July 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
Kingskerswell, are you able to tell me if Mary Martin is on that list?  Wouldn't that make my life easier!

Regarding the Workhouse website, there is certainly lots of fascinating information about the Workhouses and their establishment (and some spooky photos!), but the section on Records refers me to the Monaghan County Library, and I am having trouble accessing their on-line catalogue.

I will persevere.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 July 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   No, the ten girls names are all from Limavady workhouse and all except one are from the Limavady area. The one I cannot place was Mary A. Robinson.
    Have yoy seen Mary Martin's details as published on the Irish Famine Memorial Sydney? It comes under Orphans-Ships-South Australia.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 01:13 BST (UK) »
Well at least I can cross Limavady off my list!  So that leaves me with 11 Workhouse in Northern Ireland, and 4 in Co Monaghan.

It is helpful that all the existing Northern Ireland records are at the PRONI - at least they are centralised.  I just wish they were on-line as well!

Regarding the Limavady girls, I note that the book Barefoot and Pregnant says that 9 girls came from the Limavady Workhouse, not 10.  Of course, the book may be wrong.

If you have an interest in a particular girl who came on the Roman Emperor and you are not based in South Australia, I would be happy to do a look up for you at the SAGHS.  Sadly,  I find that the records of the Destitute Asylum often contain information on the Famine Orphans!

I am aware of the information on the Irish Famine Memorial because I posted it.  I would just love to know where in Ireland Mary came from. 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Yes I passed the 9 names to Trevor but I am sure that I came across another girl on the memorial list about whom I knew nothing I assumed that she came on a different ship. Also thank you for your offer but my interest was general as I was doing a study of poverty in Ireland and used the details of my local workhouse for that aspect of it.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim