Author Topic: Looking for Ancestors James Anderson Margaret McKeand  (Read 15688 times)

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Ancestors James Anderson Margaret McKeand
« on: Tuesday 27 May 14 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hello out there,hope I have right thread first time for me,i am looking for Ancestors of James Anderson my GGGrandfather born in Scotland married Margaret McKeand not sure when i cant find certificate for them their daughter Jessie born 1812,son William born 1814 and daughter Jane born 1816 all the children were born in Balmaghie,when the children were born they list my GGGrandfather as being a tenant farmer at Brackenbreck Hall wherever that is, Census records in 1841 I pick up my GGrandfather living in York UK in 1841 and listed as a Draper on the Pavement until his death in 1873,he married Charlotte Caroline (nee Thompson)in 1863,Jessie died in 1896 she married in 1837 to Copeland Anderson same as her Maiden name in the UK, I am having problems finding a lot about Jane I know she married a William McQueen in Scotland in 1842,i live in NZ and would dearly love to know whether I have some Scottish ancestors out there.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 05:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Kwicknit.  :)

Can I just confirm a couple of things please?

Your direct line is through William b 1814? You say he married Charlotte in 1863? He would have been about 49 years old in 1863 - is this correct? Do you have their marriage certificate? Do you know if he had been married before?

You also say that James was a tenant farmer - presumably this is his occupation on the children's birth entries? Then you say you found him in the 1841 census in York and he is a Draper. It is quite a leap from farmer to draper - how sure are you that you have the correct James Anderson? Does he have family with him? Does it say he was born in Scotland? (if indeed that is where he was born).

I may have got some of this wrong - please put me straight if I have.  :)

Lastly, have you been using Scotland's People for your research?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 06:06 BST (UK) »
I found Balmaghie Church but no sign of Brackenbreck Hall in the vicinity. http://www.rootschat.com/links/0zgf/ 
It was probably a farmstead - they are often named on these OS maps but I can't find it (yet).  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 07:46 BST (UK) »
For those trying to help;

1841 Census
Alton, Hampshire
HO107/381/6/Alton
Jessie ANDERSON, 25, no occp, born Scotland
Alexander, 3
Margaret, 1 and a half
Jean, 15
All others born in County

1861 Census Alexander and Margaret are with their Uncle in Yorkshire.
William Anderson born c 1814 Scotland.
He is unm, and a Woollen and Linen Draper
RG9/3551/84/20

1851 Alexander is with William also in Yorks
Its a strange entry as he has a Sister transcribed a Silsie with him who is Widowed.
It may be Jessie and she should be Sister in Law.
HO107/2355/171/6

Now in 1871 William is married to a C C Anderson, born c 1824 Scotland.
A Mary G Thomson, Neice is with them.
RG10/4283/10/12

FreeBMD has a William ANDERSON Marriage Reg, Dec 1863, St Geo Hanover Sqr, 1a 400
Charlotte Caroline THOMPSON on same page

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome  :)

Some of my ancestors moved from the same area in the the 1830s. At that time the landowners were forcing 'improving leases' on their tenant farmers, and many of the tenants refused to take them on so moved. This might have happened to your ancestors. However, |I'm not totally convince that you have the same family - there's something odd about the census series that Trish has listed - are they all the same family?  Anderson is a fairly common surname - as are William, Jane, Jean, Janet, Jessie.  Which is the latest census in which you can positively identify them as your ancestors?

Also, I think the farm was called Lochenbreck Well and not Brackenbreck Hall - see attached from the baptism entries.

I'll have a search around my local records and report back if I find anything.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I've found Lochenbreck Trust to the East of Bellymack and to the West of Drumlane on the 6 ins OS series.. It runs across Bellymack Moss. I assume that Lochenbreck Well was in that area.*

Gadget

* See Reply #22
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm the marriage of Jessie to Copeland Anderson:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2DHS-VTQ

The GRO ref is given in the link and it would be worth getting the certificate to be sure of her father's name.

Gadget

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
I have followed them through and it seems to add up to me.
1841 is Jessie, the Sister who married Copeland Anderson.
 Her Children are with William her Brother (1814) after that and William married 1863.

Trouble is there is a Christening for a William Anderson 1814 on F/S.Org with Parents named but someone else has his Father as William and a very exact DOB for him, 31st July 1814.

I wonder if they have the M/C to CC Thompson?

Do you have the M/C Kwicknit?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Agree Trish -  I've  just following them through. I think I was confused by the OPs description.

Not sure why Jessie's down as Silsie - or whatever - on the 1851. It's definitely an S not a J.   I wonder where Margaret is on the 1851 - have you found her?*

Gadget

Added -* found living with grandparents in castle Douglas - not sure why's she's described as 'niece' - see my later post - Reply #18