Author Topic: Looking for cottage,Crumlin??  (Read 4508 times)

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cottage,Crumlin??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 January 13 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Sheila,

From the Memorial Inscription Transcriptions for St. Illtyd's Parish Church, Llanhilleth, Mon.

Ref 2/184?  Maria Flower, Trynant, aged 45. Buried 15th March 1874.

Is this her?

Gerry

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Looks like this is her.  There were 3 Maria Flower deaths in March quarter 1874 in Newport Mon,

Maria Flower age 4
Maria Flower age 48
Maria Flower age 45

On the 1871 "the" Maria Flower has a birth date of 1829, the postmortem was carried out on the 12th March in Abertillery so this looks to be her - good researching Gerry

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks folks.
Poor Maria, I feel so sad for her even so long after, as her treatment  by my Great great Grandfathers mother and brother was horrific, just because she had suffred a stroke and was an invalid.I know times were hard in those days not helped by Johns drinking but even her own daughter knocked out Marias front teeth, so the violence was passed on to the children.I think they onmly got away with murder because the actual cause of death was starvation.
I will try and visit the churchyard in the better weather, but I suspect that Maria may have had an unmarked grave, unless locals chipped in to give her a stone.
Her story really affected me and I feel she shouldn't be forgotten. :'( :'( :'(
Many thanks Sheila.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Sheila,

I made a mistake, the information was from Burial records not MI's, but I will take a look at them next time I visit Gwent Archives.

Gerry

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Sheila,

Visited Gwent Archives today and had a look at Memorial Inscriptions for St. Illtyd's, Llanhilleth for Maria Flower, sorry to say no luck. She must lie in an unmarked grave.

Gerry

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 February 13 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gerry for all your efforts.I thought Maria may be in an unmarked grave as there was no body to pay for one, her husband being arrested etc. but at least I know where she rests.
One nice thing that came out of my request is that I made contact with a cousin in Bristol who I haven't seen for 52 years, and talked to some lovely helpful people so thank you all  :) :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.