Author Topic: morgan row bedwelty  (Read 3969 times)

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
morgan row bedwelty
« on: Thursday 15 November 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I have my gg grandmother living in Morgan Row in the 1881 census does anyone know where abouts it was as I have checked maps and can't find it.

Any help be appreciated.

Thank you
mctiernan ireland
leonard skibbereen ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire
sheehy/shea sheehea wales

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: morgan row bedwelty
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Morgans Row was in the town of Rhymney, however I believe that it was demolished some years ago.  Many of the streets in the area were demolished but rebuilt with modern houses and some kept the same names e.g. Jenkins Row & Harvard Row.  The modern post code for the area is:  NP22 5PJ  (you can google this).

This link leads to resume about the area: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~familyalbum/krhymney.htm

If you look at the comercial section you will see a:  Evans Hannah (miss), grocer, Morgans Row.

If you have access to the 1881 census pages you will see that Hannah Evans is listed as a niece to the grocer shop owner Mary Grant on Morgans Row.

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 January 13 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information, just been looking at it the surnames for morgan row that I am researching are a family called Mahony and wife called Sheehea still not sure of spelling they shared a house with a Jeremiah Sheehea which was my great great grandmothers brother.  Richard Mahony was born in County cork and he was my great  great grandfather his wife was a Sarah Sheehea (not sure of spelling) but found them in 1881 iving in Wales.   According to my great grandmother they left wales to do with a family argument her name was Mary Mahony and then settled in Middlesbrough.  I am finding it very difficult to find out about Sarah Sheehea and her brother Jeremiah and sister Mary.
mctiernan ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 13 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Feesca1

I have a look at the census and as you say the spellings makes things so difficult.  Obviously you have been looking at this for a long while and have probably checked all angles but I would offer another view. 

It may be that Sarah & Jeremiah are not brother and sister, but that Jeremiah could be an uncle.

1.  On the basis that the 1881 census is correct and that Mary Sheehan is recorded correctly as the sister-in-law of Richard Mahony and therefore sister to Sarah (both of whom were born in Tredegar).

2.  On the 1871 census in Tredegar [RG10;5323;39;6] is a Mary Sheen born 1869 Sirhowy (Tredegar) who is:
a.  daughter of John Sheen (38 Ireland) & Elizabeth Sheen (40 Radnorshire) and
b.  step sister of Sarah Taylor born 1853 Sirhowy.

Household Members:
Name                          Age
John Sheen                 38
Elizabeth Sheen          40
Sarah Taylor               18
Thomas Taylor            15
Ellen Taylor                10
Elizabeth Sheen           4
Mary Sheen                 2

3.  There is a marriage in June 1874 registered Crickhowell 11b 201  between a Richard Mahoney & a Sarah Taylor.  Depending where in Tredegar area that Sarah & Richard were living in in 1874 the registration could have crept into Crickhowell registration district.

Is it therefore possible that Jeremiah Sheehan (or whatever the correct spelling is?) is the brother of Sarah's stepfather John Sheen, and therefore Sarah's step uncle?

Is this a possibility?

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 13 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Just looked and there are 3 trees on Ancestry for Richard Mahony and Sarah and one that does have Sarah has - "Sarah Ann Sheehan Taylor" with the 1874 Crickhowell marriage as a reference for the Taylor  (no indication that they have purchased the certificate).  They don't have the 1871 census shown.

RayD

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
You probably know this already,but if you go again to www.old-maps.co.uk and use the postcode you specified earlier in the thread as the search term and then go to the 1878-1880  1:2500 map,Morgans Row is parallel to Jenkins Row and is adjacent to Field Street as it is in the census sequence.

Regards
Roger

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 January 13 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much I will have a look at the information sent to me.  If Sarah was aTaylor that will be interesting to trace it puts things into a different perspective.
mctiernan ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 January 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Believe that Mary Sheehan is living at Dowlais (just 4 miles from Rhymney) on the 1891 census with her sister Ellen Taylor and brother John Sheehan (born Tredegar 1872).  They are living at 91 Brecon Street, where Mary's mother Elizabeth, sister Ellen and brother John were living in 1881, called Sheen in 1881.

1881 census:RG11/5315/10/14
1891 census:RG12/4438/146/11

RayD

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »
If the John Sheen,born 1833,Ireland from the 1871 census is a John Sheehan,and Jeremiah Sheehea of the 1881 census is also a Sheehan,I could make this highly speculative relationship and family:
In 1861 and 1871 there is a Mary Sheehan,mother in law to a Johannah Hourigan or Horrigan at
RG09  4012  19  39
RG10  5338  26  48
It is part of the speculation that this is the same family as John and Jeremiah,but does not need to be the case for their relationship,I was simply looking for early evidence of the Sheehan family "in the area"
The following records are  from www.irishgenealogy.ie(free site) and all are Cork South

At least the following are children of Edmund Sheehan and Mary Murphy
Denis 1826
Mary  1828
Johannah  1829
John 1832 

and then
Jeremiah 1852  to Denis Sheehan and Johannah Madden(the witness/sponsor is an Ellen Mahony,but this could be just another coincidence)
(Jeremiah calls his first born Johannah after his mother?)

This would obviously make John the uncle of Jeremiah

As I said all very speculative,there are so many variants of the name.Perhaps another link could be found to enhance the credibility.I'm not sure it goes to the core of your search but might be an interesting avenue(hopefully not cul de sac)

Regards
Roger