Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 57957 times)

Offline RedRover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 27 April 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Audrey (and hello Colin I did get your kind email thanks!) I have had similar trouble locating records for birth and deaths.  I don't believe the church records have been transcribed for Drumcree, Mullavilly, Seagoe or the 1st and 2nd Presbyterian or Methodist congregations in Portadown.  I spoke once with the caretaker at Drumcree and he said it was a good idea to transcribe the records and record the markers in case they are damaged over time, but who will do it?   I briefly thought about spending a summer in Portadown entering records into a database, lovely pipe dream!  It never hurts to write to the church in Mullavilly and ask, particularly now that you have a photo of Pentland markers in their cemetary, or you contact the Armash Ancestry Center to hire someone to do research.  Just keep chipping away at it.
Alison
Pentland (Ballyworkan & Scotland), Prentice (Co Armagh), Uprichard (Portadown), Morrow (Ballyworkan), Macleod (Dumfries, Scotland) & Prince Edward Island), Graeme (Belfast&Scotland), Valentine (Dublin)

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

If you are the Alison of AFP, who has been researching Pentlands in Drumcree and Seagoe, can I ask if you have a George Pentland married to a Jane/Jennie Anderson in your line.

They were married at Drumgor abt 1822.  George and Jane soon moved to Derrykeevan in Tartaraghan Parish.    His father was Alexander and his mother was Elizabeth abt 1768-1848. 

Thanks,
Roxanna

Offline Alegou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 July 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Red Rover, I presume that the Annie Pentland you mentioned below, last paragraph,  is the wife of George Pentland, married in 1852 at Mullavilly CI. Ann's maiden name was Miller and George's father was also called George. I also rather presume that the Fredrick mentioned was the son of James PENDLETON and Ann Gilmour who were married in 1854, father of James was also called George. Presume also that George and James were brothers, despite the recorded surname difference..
I also have photographs of those gravestones although not as good as yours. If Northern Ireland is known for its dull days then there were none duller on the day I visited Mullavilly graveyard.

David

"Here is a photo of the long view of two Pentland plots in Mullavilly with the marker of which I was speaking for William of 1863 and for Jessie of 1973 in the background (the light gray site).  The darker site, in the foreground is also Pentland of Ballyworkan, but with more recent dates (John S. died 1999 age 66; Annie died 1950 age 46; and Thomas Henry died 1983 age 91).  Also in between there is a floral urn for Frederick in memoriam, but no dates.

In another site there is a marker for Ann Pentland died 1876 age 45 and George her husband who died at Ballylisk in 1873 at 64 and son W.H. who died in in action in 1916 at age 45 (also names of Whiteside & Redpath)."

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 July 09 21:21 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism at Seagoe Parish May 29, 1825 (possibly 24th)  for Thomas, son of John and Jane Pendleton who lived in McKaughley with George Gardiner as one of the sponsors.  Possibly this is the Thomas being mentioned as born 1830.

This townland might become  CrossMcKaughley and then  Crossmacahilly, anyone know??  John and Alexander m. Rachel are there in Griffith's.

Also, does anyone have information on the Lillian Uprichard.  There is a 1 year old Lillie in the 1901 census.  William John Uprichard 41  farmer Co Down  Mary Ann 38  Co Down  Mary Eliza 17 Armagh,  Samuel 16 Armagh, James 6   Armagh Ellen Jane 4Armagh  Lillie 1 Armagh of Tamnifiglasson , Co Armagh  with parents born in Co Down.  Is this the lady?  Was brother Robert older or younger? 

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 July 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Guys

Ken... is the snow over and the land to wet for the bike yet? Happy to see you are still IN to Gen! Todays papers tell us the Royal Wills will no longer be locked so I should be able to see Prince Francis Will at last which may slve my Nahneen & Algorta parentage questions!

Kat - et al.. take car with the Pentleton/Pendleton espec in North west Down - there are several pentland baptisms and marriages where the priest 'got the name wrong'.

The majority of my Pentlands at that time were in County Down in Tullylish Parish, espec in Tullylish, Gilford (not act a Townland) and Drumaran Townlands. Some moved to and from Banbridge and married partners from that town. Some were in nearby Tullyrain too and some in Lurgan, only a few miles north and accross the border in County Armagh. Between Lurgan and Armagh City there are more Pentlands at Portadown andand the Seagoe cemetery is full of the family. Crossmacahilly is a Townland in Seagoe Parish, see Bob Sintons maps at http://www.bob-sinton.com/maps2/map4.php

Uprichard is a well established Tullylish family and when I was there in 2004 there was a senior male member still alive and living in a grandhouse near the riverside and Tullylish Church. My info (always ready to be corrected suggests:

Jeremiah PENTLAND (1863 - )
  b. 1863, Ballyworkan (Portadown), Co. Armagh, Ireland
& Mrs Jeremiah P
|   James PENTLAND (1893 - )
|     b. 1893, Ballyworkan Portadown, Co. Armagh, Ireland
|     d. Canada
|   Hugh PENTLAND (abt 1900 - )
|     b. abt 1900, Ballyworkan, (Portadown) Co. Armagh, Ireland
|   Robert Henry PENTLAND (1902 - )
|     b. 1902, Ballyworkan, (Portadown), Co. Armagh, Ireland
|     d. Calgary Canada
|   & Lillian UPRICHARD
|     b. Ballyworkan, Portadown, Armagh
|     d. Calgary, Canada

Since this Lillians husband was born 1902 its pretty safe to assume Lillians birth at about the same time so iut is probably the same family - the Townland is probably Tamnafiglassan which is close to Kernan and Drumnagoon were there are other Pentlands.

Does any of this help?

Colin
I have a bundle of in that area

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc. Do not post such recent details here.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Alegou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
So if the name changed so much then  that might mean that the John Pendleton who married a Judith Brownlee in Mullavilly CI in 1845 was really a Pentland. One of the witnesses at the wedding was called Thomas Babe and there was also a Thomas Babe who was also a witness at a William Pendleton/Sarah Robinson marriage in 1862  at Mullavilly CI, although in this particular instance William Pendleton, unlike the above,  came from Gilford in Co. Down. And then of course there was a Sarah Pentland who married a John Babe at Mullavilly CI in 1848 and then  they went to live in Gilford, Co. Down.
You could ask the question what came first Pentland or Pendleton or Gilford or Mullavilly.

David

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 July 09 16:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, Dave, I believe you are correct, there are Babe /Petland connections too. One of my correspondents (another (?) David) is in to that family.

As to the chicken and egg situation I positively invite you to look for historical Pendletons in the British Isles! I fear you will find none but if you look for history on Pentlands you will find there are of course important place names in Scotland including our name and there is historic evidence for the family back to Orkney in viking times... but then you knew that.

ERGO the subsets are mostly due to priestly reluctance to check what they are told or to trust their Birth/Marriage/Death informants information or simple misspelling or poor hearing or failure to decipher the accent.

If you look at the body of Pentland evidence in Ireland it is evident that they came from the east (Scotland mostly) and settled ibncreasingly in an westerly direction. There must be a Pentland who was born in the Banbridge, Lurgan, Armagh City triangle, possibly around Gilford or in the Parish of Tullylish, at or about 1740 who was the father of some of those children who were born around there between 1765 and 1810. A helpful friend with access to LDS 'suggested'it was a George William Pentland and his wife Mary Alison Armor Graham. I have never been that comfortable with this couples bona fideis. I think my friens was being 'over helpful' - they soon after, appeared on LDS as the parents of John Pentland (my 4Xgt grandfather) and Mary Pentland, mother of John Pentland Draney, said to be the 5th most senior leader of the Mormons. I may be over suspicious, but...

Colin
PS David - Email me (*) if you want a copy of the list of Pentlands I have 1720-1820 - this does not include my family and shows d of b where known, place of birth(where kn...) parents anmes (where.) and spouse name (w....) usual exclusions re publication, citation, etc are conditions of sharing.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Do not try to put your email address in your messages.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline downpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 21 September 09 22:08 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Jeremiah Pentland (b. 1863) and Dinah Morrow (b. 1864) were the parents of James Pentland (b. 1893) as per Colin V's tree below. However the comment "d. Canada" isn't quite right. He did originally go to Canada with his brother and enlisted in the Canadian army, but he came back to Portadown to get married and stayed there. He had three children: Muriel, Gordon and Evelyn. He died in Portadown in 1960 or 1961.

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 21 September 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thats realy useful and appreciated

Thanks

Colin Y