Author Topic: HIBBERD of Christchurch and Southampton  (Read 943 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HIBBERD of Christchurch and Southampton
« on: Monday 08 September 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
My 3 x great grandparents were Eliza Rebecca Hibberd and John Derham. They married in Christchurch on19 Jan 1826. I have details of their children, grandchildren etc and also John Derham's ancestors going back at least 3 generations, but I am a bit stuck on the Hibbards.

Eliza Hibbard's age on censuses and her age at death would give her year of birth as 1804/5. Censuses give her place of birth as Southampton. She died in 1877, so features on 4 censuses. They are all consistent with age and place of birth (although rounded on 1841 and born in county).

I believe that she was the daughter of Thomas Hibberd and Lydia nee Strugnell. This couple have another daughter also called Lydia bapt at Southampton All Saints on 20 Jun 1802. Lydia Hibberd jnr married William Cluett in Christchurch on 24 July 1822. So this fits with my Eliza being the younger sister, and the family moving to Christchurch while the girls were children.
I can't find a baptism for my Eliza or any other children for the couple.

But this may be why. On 14 June 1810 a Lydia Hibberd marries John Shirvil in Boldre by Lymington. Could be coincidence but on 1841 census a Lydia and John Shirvil are living in Christchurch. Her age matches with Lydia Strugnell's baptism (13 May 1781) and in the same household is a Louisa Cluett aged 8. In 1851 the now 18 year old Louisa is with her parents (William and Lydia Cluett nee Hibberd). Also in the Cluett household in 1851 is Henry Cluett, Louisa's younger brother.
And in 1861, this Henry turns up in the household of John and Eliza Derham. Annoyingly the head of household is Albert de Lautence (or similar) and they are all listed as his servants, so relationship of little Henry to Eliza is not shown. Also in the household are two other adult members of the extended Derham family, so not unreasonable for Henry to be family too.

To really nail it all, I need baptism of Eliza Rebecca Hibberd and death of Thomas Hibberd somewhere between 1804/5 and 1810
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: HIBBERD of Christchurch and Southampton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
There's a death for a Thomas Hibberd in Fordingbridge 14/10/1805 no age given  ???
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi this is possibly her baptism:-

Eliza Rebecca HIBBERT 29th July 1804 Southampton Holyrood  Father Thos Mother Lydia

Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 September 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
There's a death for a Thomas Hibberd in Fordingbridge 14/10/1805 no age given  ???

Thanks, certainly worth bearing in mind, although I had expected death to be in Southampton, Boldre or Christchurch.
I had found one in Winchester in October 1804, with a calculated birth year of 1780, which would be around the expected time. But again not sure because of location.

Hi this is possibly her baptism:-

Eliza Rebecca HIBBERT 29th July 1804 Southampton Holyrood  Father Thos Mother Lydia

Thanks, that would fit perfectly, her death was registered in Q2, so a birth between 1st July 1804 and 30th Jun 1805 would be right. Soton Holyrood parish was where her parents married, but older sister baptised in Soton All Saints. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott