Author Topic: YOUNG, Emery. Invernesshire  (Read 24572 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: YOUNG, Emery. Invernesshire
« Reply #27 on: Friday 27 October 06 21:52 BST (UK) »
Right, getting back to scraping the barrel, clutching at straws  ???

I've found a Ewen Young, baptised 10 July 1827, Kilmallie, parents - Charles Young and Vere Cameron.

Ref - 520 Page 2

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 27 October 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
.... also an Andrew Emery, bpt.  25 June 1834, Cranston (Midlothian  :( ). Parents: Andrew Emery and Elizabeth Maclean.

Ref - 680 Page 2.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 27 October 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
Gadget

If you scrape that barrel any harder it will leak   ;D  ;D  ;D

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 27 October 06 22:40 BST (UK) »
I don't think there's any barrel left  :)

Monica's having a good scratch around as well  ;)

He could be anywhere. The problem is that the ships lists are primarily geared to America. There seem to be oceans of them but OZ -  :(

Gadget

Offline Blue_angel2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking here & there, trying to find em everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 10 November 06 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,
am back again, sorry to have been away so long. You have been absolutely wonderful doing all that digging for me!!!!Thank you all very much. And nice to hear from you too Russell - your reputation preceded you!! :D

The history lesson was fascinating - always interesting to find out how different societies dealt with different issues in any case, even if not looking for ancestors.

I had found the Emery Young in Cambridgeshire before too, and thought that maybe he was mine, until I got Emery's death cert. showing Invernesshire, Scotland as his place of birth. Unfortunately the informant was the undertaker which is no help at all, as i have tried to follow up the name, without success.

There are lots of shipping lists to Australia, and some records are held by our National Archives and State Records NSW, especially for particular periods with the convicts and also assisted immigrants, so if anyone needs me to look up anything for them in those, please let me know and I'll do my best.

According to his death cert, Emery was in the colony for 55 yrs at his death, in 1908 which would make it about 1853 he arrived. Though i hae checked through all the passenger lists that i can find from 1850 - 1856 after his marriage date, (9 Feb 1856 in SA), still no success so far.  ???
I have found a few "Mr Young" s who came out to SA but no details of where they came from nor Christian names, but unable to follow up any further just yet. 

Also, find predominantly lists for ships that came from England, not Scotland, or would they have left from Scotland and come to SA via England perhaps??

Emery's wife was Mary Ann nee Castle and their children were:(in order)
Marion
Wealthey
Stephen
Electy
Janet Emily
Annie
Francis
Mabel
Bessie
John
Adelaide Sarah
George

Mary Ann's parents were Charles and Sarah, from Kent, England, and they had William, Charles, Edmund, Henry, Eliza, Mary, George, Sarah as names in their extended family.

Does anyone happen to know if Electy is a Scottish name at all? I have not come across it anywhere before, and haven't been able to find out anything about her either. (Is definitely female).

Sorry that I haven't been able to find out much more in the interim, but hopefully it will help a bit.
Thank you so very much for your kindness, the 3 of you. I really appreciate all the trouble you are going to for me.

Cheers for now,   :)
Barb

researching:YOUNGS/YOUNG 1800's>Canada>USA>Aus:
CASTLE, Wickhambreaux area Kent>Aus:
CORKE/CORK, Kent, ENG >  AUST
SUTER, Birmingham, Warwickshire>Aus
TAYLOR, STOREY, DAVIES, BROWN, HOLROYD, POTTS, Manchester, Eng
KAY, Manchester
SHEA Co Cork Ireland >O'SHEA NSW AUST:
DONNELLY, co Tyrone Ireland>Oz:
HURRELL, Barnstaple, DEV > NSW AUST:
COFFEY, IRE; London>NSW, AUST
MOYES, unknown >AUST
MILLARD, BLAKE, BASCOMB: ENG
MILLER, SCT>Oz
HOOD Belfast, IRE >SCT>AUST
NEILSON, Lanarkshire, SCT> AUST

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 10 November 06 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb

You asked about ELECTY as a name in Scotland.?
My relatives + my wife's cover just about all the Scottish counties and this is a name I have never come across anywhere.
Wealthey is another I have not come across.
Scotland generally drew on a very small pool of names and because of the naming tradition they tended to keep the same ones down the generations within the family. If a child died they might re-use the name so 2 or 3 children of the same name in a list of siblings is not uncommon.
Marion, John, George and Bessie (Elizabeth) would be the most likely finds up here.
Despite the Inverness link the list has a very English feel to it.

The problem with establishing a couple of links is the boring searches that come next.

Russell
1941-2016

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 10 November 06 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking that they sounded English too, Russell. The nearest I can think of is Heccy/Heccie - short for Hectoria or possibly Leccy (not sure what that's the diminutive of) but Electy I've not come across. Wealthey - sounds like the name of a goldmine or some such  ???

I am still wondering about the Cambridge guy, particularly as it was the undertaker who was the informant. He could  easily have confused place of birth with someone else - family/neighbours/etc.

Gadget

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 November 06 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Like you I hae my doubts about the guy in Cambridgeshire.

The problem is that the surname Young is too universally used. It crops up across Scotland and right across England so it is of no help trying to pin down a place.
Why could he not have had an easy name like McTavish or Hetherington which would have some local significance.
I think that the various Mr Young's on the passenger lists may hold the clue here.

Russell
1941-2016

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 10 November 06 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Russell, I think you are right. Poor Barb is going to have to go through passenger lists and look for any other clues before we can do any more. The names just don't seem at all Scots to me.

My ancestors gave their children grand Scots sounding first or second names after they left - like Bruce, Douglas, Gordon, Wallace, etc.

Gadget - a Braveheart  ;)

PS. I just got a Hielan Mary for a middle name!