Author Topic: Amon, Sam  (Read 15346 times)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amon, Sam
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 August 11 01:41 BST (UK) »
1935 Waitomo Waikato
William Samuel Mairoa Road Pio Pio electrical wireman
Hannah

1938 Patea
Adelaide Rose Martha pinster Alton
Bertha Florence Kate Dale St married
Cedric Harry Whenuakura labourer
Elizabeth Wain Amon Main South road Manutahi married
Frederick Alton farmer
George farmhand Alton
Harry Samuel, lorry driver Alton
Lottie edith, Manutahi married
Maud Mirian, Alton married
Raymond Nelson Amon factory hand Alton
Revell Charles Main South Road labourer
Samuel Willis Ball Road bullock driver
William Manutahi labourer
1946 Patea
Alma Amon Alton married
Cedric Harry labourer Alton
Elizabeth Mary 97 Union St Hawera married
Evelyn Violet Taumaha Rd Manutahi Spinster
Frederick 97 Union Street farmhand
Harry Samuel Hurleyville pensioner
Lewis Charles farmer Alton
Lottie Edith Manutahi married
Revell Charles Manutahi labourer
William labourer Manutahi

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 August 11 01:55 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a pm.
By the way it took me a while to realise why I knew this surname. Ancestors of Chris Amon the formula one racing car driver in the 1960's and 70's.
My husband used to hang around the garage at Hunterville when he was over there on a working holiday.

Offline kiwibob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 August 11 02:45 BST (UK) »
Definitely all related my grandmother was Florence Martha Nickel born at Alton.
Peat,Ayton,Lonsdale,Eden,Sleight(s),Amon,McKay,Haylock,Nickel

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 August 11 03:50 BST (UK) »
Your great grandmother Nellie Amon's birth was registered in June 1/4 1875 Registration District
E Ashford. She was registered as Nellie.

She married Frederick Nickel in Patea NZ 28 Aug 1891. She died 26 Jan 1956 and is buried in Patea.

Frederick Nickel was born Prussia/Germany 1870 and died Patea 1943. His parents father Johann died Patea 1901 Mother Augusta Schultz died 1912 in Waverley NZ

Nellie and Fredrick's children
Edward Francis Nickel 1894
Myrtle Clara 1896
Frederick William 1898
Florence Martha 1901
Nellie Bertha 1908 - 1982 Lower Huut

Offline clairefalvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 October 11 06:10 BST (UK) »
I am related to these Amon's as well and have some info on them and know some other people who are related to the same Amon's in Taranaki and have information.

I come from Harry (or Harry Samuel) born in Brabourne Kent and he with his parents etc came to NZ in 1879.
Claire
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Wandering Willie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 November 11 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Amon Family/History. Sam was Born in about 1843 in Kent and died in New Zealand 1934. He had a daughter Nellie (told she was born 1872 but suspect 1875) who married Fredrick William Nickel.
Hi Kiwibob at a guess you live in NZ. I see on the board several people inquiring about the Amon family, of which I have well over a hundred pages back to around early c1645, my connection is through Nellie Amon that you have mentioned she is my Grand mother born in Brabourne Kent, and yes, you are right she was born 03/03/1875. died 26/01/1956 Alton Patea New Zealand, Alton is where I lived most of my life well 65 years anyway.
The birth of Samuel Amon, Nellie Nickel's nee (Amon) father is conjecture at best some Doco's have and family bible have 20/05/1947, but headstone states 90 yrs. at death 04/09/1935 (take your pick) he was born in Smeeth East Ashford twice married 1st Jane Ralph then Martha Jane Revell, he migrated with Martha Revell and Harriet (from 1st wife Jane), and Harry, Nellie (my Grandmother) & Samuel Willis Amon arriving NZ 18/04/1879.
I would need some way of sending printouts, but the site here don't like email address added to messages, there is to much details to send this way, but I do note other members do have half the information or a fair amount of mistakes in their replies I also notice your Grandmother is a sister to my Grandmother, Also noted that a quote from another member says our Amons are related to the Amons from Bulls Wanganui-Manawatu Chris Amon which as far as I know is not true, I and others have never found any prove and Chris also says there is no connection, but though I myself am a very very distant relation through  Ruby Nickel a cousin of my mother who married into a family from relations of Chris.
Kind regards Wandering Willie

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 November 11 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Chris AMON's ancestry is from Mortlake in Surrey. No connection with the Taranaki AMONs here in NZ.

Thomas AMON married Priscilla BASSETT at Richmond, Surrey in 1844. They arrived in NZ about 1856, with Priscilla's sister and settled in the Lower Rangitikei at Scott's Ferry. Five of their six children were born in Mortlake, and the sixth in NZ. One of the AMON girls married a WINKS and they moved to the Hawera area.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wandering Willie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 November 11 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Chris AMON's ancestry is from Mortlake in Surrey. No connection with the Taranaki AMONs here in NZ.

Thomas AMON married Priscilla BASSETT at Richmond, Surrey in 1844. They arrived in NZ about 1856, with Priscilla's sister and settled in the Lower Rangitikei at Scott's Ferry. Five of their six children were born in Mortlake, and the sixth in NZ. One of the AMON girls married a WINKS and they moved to the Hawera area.

Ian C
Just a follow up on your note about the Amons from Scott's Ferry, I do have their printout and as I mention Ruby Adelina Nickel a relation married Thomas Alexander Winks in Hawera 1932 they had three children well before marriage.
Thomas Alexander was married before to Janet McGregor 5/2/1901 at Hawera, no childrenand  no account of where Janet disappeard to, but Thomas and Janet were passengers 25/11/1919 to Liverpool, no other details about their marriage.
 Willie

Offline Wandering Willie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 November 11 09:32 GMT (UK) »
John's wife was Jane Hood but then things get a bit messy with one tree having him married to someone else before 1871 when he is still with his parents and single on the 1871 census.

Hi Casalguidi, with regards to John Amon b. 9/9/1804 Sellindge, Ashford died 24/10/1873 Sellindge Ashford, had three wives.
1st marriage, Sarah Highland b. 1801 Iden Sussex died 30/10/1835 marriage 31/12/1825 Iden. 3 children, John, 18/6/1826 Guildford,Surrey. Caroline 21/9/1828 Iden Sussex & Henry 28/8/1831Iden Sussex.

2nd marriage Catherine Goucher b. 1805 Iden Sussex died 15/3/1846 Smeeth Kent, marriage 14/1/1837 Smeeth Kent 4 children, James 1837 Sellindge Ashford, George 1839 New Church Kent, William 13/3/1842 Sellindge Ashford Kent & Mary 3/10/1846 Smeeth Kent.

3rd marriage Jane Hood b. 1818 Lyminge Kent, died unknown Higham Hill Monks Norton, marriage  23/8/1846 3children, Samuel 20/5/1847 Smeeth East Ashford died 4/9/1935 Alton Patea NZ. Crissillyer ( Cecilia) b. 9/6/1850
 Bilsington Kent. died 5/7/1853 Aldington Kent. & Matilda b. 10/11/1855 Bilsington Kent died 1913 The Forstal Monks Horton Kent.
To answer the question on Samuels first daughter from Jane Ralph, Harriet Jane Amon born 13/12/1867 Burmash Kent, died 24/11/1889 Upper Willis Street Wellington NZ (never married)  had a daughter Jessie  Amon b. 26/5/1884 Crofton Marton Rangatikei NZ died 29/7/1970 Hawera NZ.

Thats all for now Willie

Erm, no, he isn't single on the 1871 census - it clearly says widower.  When posting census details it would be appreciated if full details could be included ie. marital status, occupations etc. as these details can often be vital ........ please :)

They had a Daughter Harriet Jane unknown if she survived

She is most likely the grandaughter, Jane, age 3 b.Burmarsh in the 1871 census then.

Samuel AMON and Martha Jane REVELL married at Brabourne http://www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/

You might like to keep an eye on the Hastingleigh pages where parish register transcripts for the East Ashford area are gradually being added http://www.hastingleigh.com/hast-other-parish.html

Casalguidi :)
John's wife was Jane Hood but then things get a bit messy with one tree having him married to someone else before 1871 when he is still with his parents and single on the 1871 census.

Erm, no, he isn't single on the 1871 census - it clearly says widower.  When posting census details it would be appreciated if full details could be included ie. marital status, occupations etc. as these details can often be vital ........ please :)

They had a Daughter Harriet Jane unknown if she survived

She is most likely the grandaughter, Jane, age 3 b.Burmarsh in the 1871 census then.

Samuel AMON and Martha Jane REVELL married at Brabourne http://www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/

You might like to keep an eye on the Hastingleigh pages where parish register transcripts for the East Ashford area are gradually being added http://www.hastingleigh.com/hast-other-parish.html

Casalguidi :)